By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nooooo ! "Tekken director: Unlockables are 'outdated' "

Unlocking stuff is one of my favorite elements in games! I hope this trend doesn't catch on.

Around the Network

So he admits what I've been saying all along: unlockables are nothing more than a gimmick to artifically inflate a game's playtime. Good to see that this scourge is going away, at least in one franchise; hopefully it will catch on in the rest of the industry.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Outdated like rumble was.

Jill Valentine is so sad right now. She was the master of unlocking. I'm sorta bummed too. 40+ characters is overwhelming. If they gave me a smaller number in the beginning, I could learn and master a few of them. Then, as I unlocked them, I could play and learn the newer ones. Now, it's like being tossed into the ocean and being told to learn to swim. My last Tekken was Tekken 4. I'm going to be soooooo lost!

thekitchensink said:
thekitchensink said:
No! What will Jill Valentine do now??

C'mon, no one?

I read your post, too late!  I would've laughed.  Now, I feel like a douche for using your exact same joke!

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
So no incentive to actually play the game.. what dumb ass developers. Tekken 6 fails

If there's no incentive to complete a game other than obsessive completionism or childish domination, then something is very wrong with either the game or the gamer. Good games are fun to play, and that's all the incentive that's necessary.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

d21lewis said:
Jill Valentine is so sad right now. She was the master of unlocking. I'm sorta bummed too. 40+ characters is overwhelming. If they gave me a smaller number in the beginning, I could learn and master a few of them. Then, as I unlocked them, I could play and learn the newer ones. Now, it's like being tossed into the ocean and being told to learn to swim. My last Tekken was Tekken 4. I'm going to be soooooo lost!

If you played tekken 2 and 3 you should be able to manage.. even though tekken 4 only had 18 chars which is like.. below half of tekken 6, a lot of the other chars in tekken 5 are people coming back from tekken 2 and tekken 3..-. (those from tekken 2 being a looooot older.. like 20 years. )

Still yeah.. It'll be a bit overwhelming..

And ruin some of the experience... :(

Check out my game about moles ^