By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Predict Uncharted 2 reviews at IGN and GS

Cypher1980 said:
It will depend on how much of an improvement the game is over its first outing.

Most reviewers tend to downgrade a game that just goes for a wash rinse and repeat sequel as it lacks innovation.

If youve read any previews and watched the E3 gameplay...you should know that is obviously NOT the case with Uncharted 2.

It wont Game of the Show at E3 from many, many websites.

"I don't have time to play video games anymore, but if I did, I would definitely choose the PlayStation 3 instead of the 360" - President Barack Obama

Around the Network

@ infamous, it won the game critics awards which is decided by editors all of major game sites

IGN 97

GS 90

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

Munkeh111 said:

Well this is their conclusions from UDF:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gamespot:

Incredible production values and plenty of thrilling moments help make Uncharted an action-packed adventure, in spite of some slightly uneven gameplay.

The Good

• Lush jungle environments are stunningly realized
  • Drake's animations are nuanced and naturalistic.

The Bad

• Tough and plentiful enemies can make firefights frustrating
  • Platforming elements can be too forgiving
  • Certain story elements are underdeveloped.
It also gets the following game emblems: Good VA, Good start (to a franchise), good animation, outstanding visual design, technically proficient graphics

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IGN:

Closing Comments
Here's the thing about Uncharted, the final sum is far greater than the individual parts. Maybe you don't dig the combat or maybe the pop-in gets you down, but the overall package of an endearing story, outstanding score, great performances and fun gameplay should put this title on the top of your holiday wishlist. Say what you will about the PS3, but Uncharted isn't just a standout for Sony -- it's a standout for gaming as a whole.

IGN Ratings for Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3)
Rating Description
out of 10 click here for ratings guide
9.5 Presentation
The whole thing has the polish of a major motion picture and goes out of its way to immerse you in the experience with amazing cutscenes, music and more.
9.0 Graphics
There's no doubt the game looks great and that the use of in-game assets for the movies is seamless transition, but there's still a fair amount of screen tearing and texture pop in.
9.5 Sound
From the low instrumental piece accompanying the opening screen to the sweeping score that runs throughout the whole game, this is what videogame music should be.
9.0 Gameplay
This game is flat-out fun to play. Leaping from ledges is awesome, shootouts are fun, and the occasional vehicle section is a nice change of pace. Still, the pirate battles can be a bit much.
8.5 Lasting Appeal
The game is short, but the medals, rewards and bonuses should be enough to bring you back at least once.
Outstanding
OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Thanks for posting that Munkeh.

Sound and Presentation will probably remain the same 9.5... I can even see presentation getting a higher score than that since there is even more polish in U2.

This time around the game will surely get a 10/10 for graphics. It makes Killzone 2 look average. The graphics in U2 are just THAT good. During the Beta I didnt experience much (if any) tearing or texture pop-in, and they still have 4-5 months to work on it. Rating the graphics anything less than a 10 is simply nitpicking and Im sure IGN wont resort to that. U2 will be the BEST LOOKING CONSOLE GAME when it comes out.

Gameplay for U2 should be a 9.5 or 10..... the shooting has been overhauled and makes firefights alot better.

Lasting appeal...this is the HUGE upgrade... it wont get a 8.5...U2 will get atleast a 9.5 this time around. The campaign will be a lot longer, and the added multiplayer and co-op add endlessly replayability.

They also can't critisize it for lack of story development this time either... the producer has gone on record to say it features over 90 minutes of cut scenes alone which will surely tie in the story very well.

"I don't have time to play video games anymore, but if I did, I would definitely choose the PlayStation 3 instead of the 360" - President Barack Obama

Munkeh111 said:
@ infamous, it won the game critics awards which is decided by editors all of major game sites

Yes, thank you.

That is a major award...actually the BIGGEST AND BEST possible award to win from E3.

Around the Network

1) Lol at GameSpot being credible. GameSpot are the shittiest of shit reviewers. Their credibility is one step above Teletext GameCentral. And not a large step.

They gave Uncharted, a fantastic game, an 8/10. They also gave Assassin's Creed, a repetitive, buggy, decent game with ridiculous amounts of terrible dialogue and one of the worst combat systems in recent years a 9/10. They also gave the best Ratchet and Clank game since Up Your Arsenal a 7.5/10, which is also the score they gave to the best game on PSN (WipEout HD). The second best game on PSN (Flower) got an 8/10, while a generic shooter that was the sequel to a generic shooter, with not many improvements, lackluster graphics, and no story worth caring about (Resistance 2) a 9/10.

EDIT: To sum up what GameSpot didn't like about the first game, the combat was too hard (even on Easy, apparently, because they wouldn't call a game too difficult on anything higher, would they?), the platforming was too easy (no giant alligators or mutant death rays while you were jumping and climbing, do you believe that?), and the story was underdeveloped (I suppose we all really wanted to know the name of the girl Sully met in that bar, and Navarro's favourite brand of shampoo. Worth subtracting a good 10% for that alone).

With that rant aside, GameSpot will probably give it 9/10 (they love that score now. inFamous, Killzone 2, LBP, Resistance 2, MLB 09...). They will cite some ridiculous problem for not giving it 9.5, like bad sixaxis implementation or too much colour or something.

IGN will give it in the 9.4-9.6 range. It's quite a huge improvement over Drake's Fortune, and Uncharted loved that- they gave it PS3 game of the year ABOVE CoD4. CoD4 was also 360 game of the year, so they effectively said that Uncharted was better than ANYTHING on PS3 or 360 in 2007 (though of course they thought Super Mario Galaxy was the best overall). They won't give it a 10, that's reserved for massive franchises that haven't seen iterations in years. But I wouldn't be surprised if it won PS3 GoTY and, indeed, overall GoTY. It's a definite contender.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

infamous8 said:
Munkeh111 said:

Yes, thank you.

That is a major award...actually the BIGGEST AND BEST possible award to win from E3.

Yes, it's reserved for only the best technology and games- like the Nintendo GameCube (2001), Sony PSP (2004) and Spore (2005), all remembered for being absolutely phenomenal and completely changing the landscape of gaming.

Come on. That GameCritics thing is a joke. It's improved in recent years, at least.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
infamous8 said:
Munkeh111 said:

Yes, thank you.

Yes, it's reserved for only the best technology and games- like the Nintendo GameCube (2001), Sony PSP (2004) and Spore (2005), all remembered for being absolutely phenomenal and completely changing the landscape of gaming.

Come on. That GameCritics thing is a joke. It's improved in recent years, at least.

Its an award which is decided by editors of all major game sites. That means a lot. Gotta love forum dwellers who think they know better than ppl who work in the industry and actually saw the game in person at E3.

IGN 9.0
GS 9.0

IGN - 96

GS - 93