By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 360blog.org: Top 10 Best Game Controllers

So here's my latest weekly countdown enjoy :)

http://www.360blog.org/2009/05/360-sunday-games-top-10-best-controllers/

Video game controllers play an important role. Their our connection to the virtual world we are playing in, they are designed to be comfortable so we can spend hours leveling up or going for the next big win. Controllers also have to be innovative, do something different, make us more then just ‘playing’ the game, we have to feel like we’re the heroes saving the princess, that we’re the big sports star getting his team to the championship. They have come in many different sizes and shapes, with different ways to control your virtual avatar, but these following remotes all have something very important in common. They are the ones we keep picking up time and time again.

So I bring you the best of the best that game imputs can give, with the top 10 controllers of all time.

* as usualy no direct posting, thanks

Around the Network

I agree with no 1... good list...
But I sense a shit storm comming this way because of no 10....

I'm gonna hide.... and eat some popcorn...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I disagree with everything, well then again its my opinion.

mM

lol, happy you agree with no. 1, my co-editors didn't lol

I disagree with just about everything except the 360 controller rank. Dualshock 3 should be #1 in my opinion.

Around the Network

360 controller #2... just looking at that makes me say BS to this list :| Also why did they add the DS2 and not the DS1? IMO it was by far the best controller ever created :P I also dislike the DS3 even tough ist wireless, mainly because of the L/R2 triggers :|

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Here's my list of favorite controllers:

1) Wiimote and Nunchuck
2) Gamecube
3) SNES (most modern controllers pull their design from this one)
4) Xbox 360
5) N64 (I want to put it higher because of the anolog stick, but I have a few issues with it)
6) Xbox - the small one
7) Dualshock 2
8) Dualshock 1
9) original PS controller
10) NES (a classic, but there have been so many improvments)
11) Keyboard and Mouse (but still the best for the RTS genre)
12) Guitar Hero ‘Guitar’ Controller (a one-trick pony)
13) Xbox - the big one
14) Atari

I think that is all of the contollers I have spent a considerable amount of time with.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Wow. What a terrible list. In my opinion at least. I couldn't stand the GC controller, N64 controller and I generally dislike the 360 controller. How can you rate a controller with such a terrible d-pad number 2? It makes an entire genre of games so hard to play!

PS3 Trophies

The original Sega 3-button controller was garbage and should not be on that list.

A brand new 3-button controller (of that time) had a very sharp d-pad and was painful to use for prolonged periods of time (even the original NES d-pad was softer).  The lack of more than 4 buttons also seriously hurt its use in a lot of games once the utterly superior 6-button controller was released further cementing its uselessness.

The Virtual Boy's controller is also symptomatic of poor design--try holding the handles and pressing buttons.  Nintendo learned how to do the N64's controller right having screwed up the Virtual Boy's.  I'm sure you just wanted to get some bragging points for reminding people the Virtual Boy existed but the controller really was awful.

*gasp* Double post.