By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 360blog.org: Top 10 Best Game Controllers

Solid_Raiden said:
Wow. What a terrible list. In my opinion at least. I couldn't stand the GC controller, N64 controller and I generally dislike the 360 controller. How can you rate a controller with such a terrible d-pad number 2? It makes an entire genre of games so hard to play!

Why does it have to be a terrible list, just because you disagree with it?

I found it to be a really good list, even though I didn't agree with everything on it. Obviously, there is always personal preference and experience involved in making a list. This one actually took from most parts of the console history and went for at least some out of the box thinking. Reasons for placement on the list was pretty well drawn up, and there was no sign of fanboism, obvious bias or glossed over parties.

I dislike people that bash lists because they do not conform to their personal ideals or opinions. EVERYONE has different opinions, no two (long enough) lists will ever look alike. If you want to attack a list, attack underlying assumptions, explenations or factual faults, not opinions. Don't make the internet look bad.

Personally, I really disliked the Megadrive controller. That might be because I didn't own a Megadrive at the time though. But I still have horrible memories of them. I also find the WiiMote to be an absolute joy to use, more precise than I could ever have imagined it to before using it for the first time, and it's a joy to not have both your hands stuck on the controller at all times.

This is invisible text!

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:

The original Sega 3-button controller was garbage... [snip]

A brand new 3-button controller (of that time) had a very sharp d-pad and was painful to use for prolonged periods of time (even the original NES d-pad was softer).  The lack of more than 4 buttons also seriously hurt its use in a lot of games once the utterly superior 6-button controller was released further cementing its uselessness.

This is about how I felt for the original Megadrive controller at the time. That and the controllers I used always seemed to have faulty buttons.

This is invisible text!

Jeez am I the only person that liked the Genesis 3 button?

MontanaHatchet said:
The Nintendo 64 controller was horrible. It doesn't really belong in a top 10 list for controllers if there's a whole part of the controller than you can't use (the D-Pad side). A good controller should be comfortable and accessible so that a person can press the buttons when they need to immediately react. Besides, the N64's pad has crappy buttons.

N64 pad is really comfortable to me... I think it rivals the GameCube in terms of hand fittingness.

I agree on the button accecibility bit though.... but you could think of it like this:

With the N64 you had 6 face buttons, 2 shoulder buttons and some form of control... the control you got to choose between stick or d-pad.
Which is actually what I did at first... I wasn't used to steering with the stick so I used the d-pad method for my first N64 game.

With the Dual Analogue you have 4 face buttons, 4 shoulder buttons and then the choice of either pushing the d-pad into oblivion to make it work, or stretching your thumbs into silly positions to sit on extremely loose control sticks. (and I have long thumbs... or perhaps that is the problem, maybe shorter thumbs is better for the DA)

O-D-C said:
Jeez am I the only person that liked the Genesis 3 button?

Yes, yes you are.

The d-pad on that thing rivals the X-boxes for terribleness.... the difference is with the Xbox you generally don't need the d-pad much.

Around the Network

Well I personally think the N64 controller was one of the greatest controllers ever, but their spot choosing was good with me. Totally agree, for the most part with this list. I never liked the Dualshock so I guess our opinions agree. I'd interchange the top 3 but that's ok.

For me the NES classic deserve to be in #1 spot. The super NEs controller was a blast too and the dualshock deserve to be in the top 3 for sure. The xbox controller is nice but I prefer the sony one... Great article by the way
Thanks

And the genesis controller should not be in that list. The control was so terrible... Just replace it by the NES controller

Dualshock 3 should be number 3.

Next week I'll be doing the top 10 worst, so look forward to that guys ;)