By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony: Wii owns the closet

Rpruett said:
bardicverse said:
@rpruett - again, the data on that chart was inaccurate. Neilsen corrected this.
http://www.edge-online.com/news/nielsen-corrects-console-usage-report

Go to your link.  Down to where it reads... "

"Nielsen corrected and reposted its report on its blog."

Then follow the link to his "corrected" and "reposted" blog.  That's where the numbers are from. 

And even if the numbers from the blog are still incorrect?  The real numbers that show whether or not the "Wii owns the closet".....would be the 'Active User %'.  Which clearly the Wii is down.

Check page 6, thats the chart for console usage. This conflicts with the chart you posted from page 3. Page 6 is claiming that the Wii usage is higher than both the PS3 and the XB360.

Around the Network

Please... stop... this report has been discussed to death.

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

bardicverse said:
Rpruett said:
bardicverse said:
@rpruett - again, the data on that chart was inaccurate. Neilsen corrected this.

Then follow the link to his "corrected" and "reposted" blog.  That's where the numbers are from. 

And even if the numbers from the blog are still incorrect?  The real numbers that show whether or not the "Wii owns the closet".....would be the 'Active User %'.  Which clearly the Wii is down.

Check page 6, thats the chart for console usage. This conflicts with the chart you posted from page 3. Page 6 is claiming that the Wii usage is higher than both the PS3 and the XB360.

Again the total gross Wii usage should be higher than the PS3 or 360 individually.  How many millions extra consoles does it have?  The chart on page 6 has absolutely nothing to do with what I am talking about.  The 'Active User %'  the Wii is in third place of three next gen systems.  Again as it pertains to the topic and this discussion. 

It's very clearly stated :

"The active user percent tells us how often a person used their console out of the total amount of
time the console could have been used during the measurement period. The PlayStation 3 and
Xbox 360 are the most used consoles with the highest active user percent. The Wii owner’s have
the fewest average usage days and the shortest daily average number of sessions.
"

This above statement is directly related to the closet comment made by Sony.  This correlates with the fact that the Wii gets brought out and played a lot when people are around maybe, but when push comes to shove it gets shoved aside for 360/PS3 or something else.   This also correlates with other people(Myself included) mentioning how they and their friends all own a Wii but don't really use it.

These guys have never heard of a TV with more than one input? Mine has two HDMI jacks and then the regular AV cables... 360, PS3, and Wii own my living room... I play the 360 and watch Netflix on it, watch blu-rays on the PS3, and every now and then I play the Wii.

What confuses me more than the "Wii in the closet" (isn't that a game teenagers play at parties?) is "M$ owns the office"... I wish I had a 360 in my office. My office sucks.

Believing in the PLAYSTATION®3......IS.......S_A_C_R_I_L_E_G_E

Rpruett said:
bardicverse said:
Rpruett said:
bardicverse said:

Again the total gross Wii usage should be higher than the PS3 or 360 individually.  How many millions extra consoles does it have?  The chart on page 6 has absolutely nothing to do with what I am talking about.  The 'Active User %'  the Wii is in third place of three next gen systems.  Again as it pertains to the topic and this discussion. 

"The active user percent tells us how often a person used their console out of the total amount of
time the console could have been used during the measurement period. The PlayStation 3 and
Xbox 360 are the most used consoles with the highest active user percent. The Wii owner’s have
the fewest average usage days and the shortest daily average number of sessions.
"

This above statement is directly related to the closet comment made by Sony.  This correlates with the fact that the Wii gets brought out and played a lot when people are around maybe, but when push comes to shove it gets shoved aside for 360/PS3 or something else.   This also correlates with other people(Myself included) mentioning how they and their friends all own a Wii but don't really use it.

Or Wii owners have a more active and varied life instead of being slumpted in front of a TV all of the time?

Around the Network
TheSteve said:
These guys have never heard of a TV with more than one input? Mine has two HDMI jacks and then the regular AV cables... 360, PS3, and Wii own my living room... I play the 360 and watch Netflix on it, watch blu-rays on the PS3, and every now and then I play the Wii.

What confuses me more than the "Wii in the closet" (isn't that a game teenagers play at parties?) is "M$ owns the office"... I wish I had a 360 in my office. My office sucks.

It would be less confusing if you read the sentence as it is and didn't subconsciously replace "Microsoft" with "Xbox 360."

llewdebkram said:
Rpruett said:
bardicverse said:
Rpruett said:
bardicverse said:

"

Or Wii owners have a more active and varied life instead of being slumpted in front of a TV all of the time?

Wierd, so they would buy a system that comes with a sports game that you can play on a TV, instead of playing the real sports, outside, getting exercise?? You make no sense.

@rpruett - Fair point, agreed. One thing though - You do realize that the chart on page 3 could simply be due to the type of game being played, no? Its no secret that there's a lot of casual games on the Wii. How long does a match of Carnival Games or Wii Bowling or Mario Kart take? How long does a session of Halo 3 or COD4 take? The data on page 3 is missing an important bit of info regarding that. Tracking the amount of individual games sessioned in that time period might conclude that data better.

In other words, you can play one session of COD4 for 2-4 hours easily without realizing it, but if you played an hour of Wii Fit, you'd be exhausted. If Neilsen is pitching the 6-11 as the main polling audience they got their bulk data from, I doubt they're playing long gaming sessions, as its a common point in parenting kids - regulation of game time.

Think about it you guys, Nintendo does own the closet. There are so many different Nintendo themed shirts and clothing accessories. Sony and Microsoft don't have any as far as I'm aware.

Wow what a bunch of children....

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints