By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony: Wii owns the closet

SlumsofOhio said:
llewdebkram said:
Rpruett said:
bardicverse said:
Rpruett said:
bardicverse said:
@rpruett - again, the data on that chart was inaccurate. Neilsen corrected this.
http://www.edge-online.com/news/nielsen-corrects-console-usage-report

Go to your link.  Down to where it reads... "

"Nielsen corrected and reposted its report on its blog."

Then follow the link to his "corrected" and "reposted" blog.  That's where the numbers are from. 

And even if the numbers from the blog are still incorrect?  The real numbers that show whether or not the "Wii owns the closet".....would be the 'Active User %'.  Which clearly the Wii is down.

Check page 6, thats the chart for console usage. This conflicts with the chart you posted from page 3. Page 6 is claiming that the Wii usage is higher than both the PS3 and the XB360.

Again the total gross Wii usage should be higher than the PS3 or 360 individually.  How many millions extra consoles does it have?  The chart on page 6 has absolutely nothing to do with what I am talking about.  The 'Active User %'  the Wii is in third place of three next gen systems.  Again as it pertains to the topic and this discussion. 

It's very clearly stated :

"The active user percent tells us how often a person used their console out of the total amount of
time the console could have been used during the measurement period. The PlayStation 3 and
Xbox 360 are the most used consoles with the highest active user percent. The Wii owner’s have
the fewest average usage days and the shortest daily average number of sessions.
"

This above statement is directly related to the closet comment made by Sony.  This correlates with the fact that the Wii gets brought out and played a lot when people are around maybe, but when push comes to shove it gets shoved aside for 360/PS3 or something else.   This also correlates with other people(Myself included) mentioning how they and their friends all own a Wii but don't really use it.

Or Wii owners have a more active and varied life instead of being slumpted in front of a TV all of the time?

Wierd, so they would buy a system that comes with a sports game that you can play on a TV, instead of playing the real sports, outside, getting exercise?? You make no sense.

You are allowed to do both.

On accassions I play games that involve driving but I still like to drive my own car, they're not mutually exclusive.

Around the Network
bardicverse said:
@rpruett - Fair point, agreed. One thing though - You do realize that the chart on page 3 could simply be due to the type of game being played, no? Its no secret that there's a lot of casual games on the Wii. How long does a match of Carnival Games or Wii Bowling or Mario Kart take? How long does a session of Halo 3 or COD4 take? The data on page 3 is missing an important bit of info regarding that. Tracking the amount of individual games sessioned in that time period might conclude that data better.

In other words, you can play one session of COD4 for 2-4 hours easily without realizing it, but if you played an hour of Wii Fit, you'd be exhausted. If Neilsen is pitching the 6-11 as the main polling audience they got their bulk data from, I doubt they're playing long gaming sessions, as its a common point in parenting kids - regulation of game time.

Oh I dont disagree with that notion at all.  That's exactly the point though that Sony was stating.  Which is why I don't believe it to be all that crazy.  The Wii gets used for a bit, then put back in the closet essentially.   While the PS3/360 get more steady time used.  Now one could make a case about Sony actually owning the living room compared to the 360 but that's another issue.

Wasn't that Nielsen report discussed some time ago and the conlcusin was that the wii DOES had a lot of user time? Please get over it.

And to the ones that said "yeah my wii is in the closet and my ps3 not" well who cares what you do with your consoles. and yeah you are not alone but you are not the only ones. There are lots of people taht do play with our wii every day and have it connected to the net 24/7. There are many games worth playing and checking out. . If you don't,well that's your problem but don't generalize. Saying the contrary, now that's unrealistic and never been taking for truth.

Also I never understood that notion: if you are PS fanboys why you bought a wii? doesn't make any sense.

Rpruett said:

Oh I dont disagree with that notion at all.  That's exactly the point though that Sony was stating.  Which is why I don't believe it to be all that crazy.  The Wii gets used for a bit, then put back in the closet essentially.   While the PS3/360 get more steady time used.  Now one could make a case about Sony actually owning the living room compared to the 360 but that's another issue.

I guess the statement is open to interpretation. I'd read that as a claim that the Wii isn't used at all, thus it stays in the closet, forgotten about. If you think about that idea, it's quite off. There are many homes with only one console. All those casual Wii owners wouldn't have a reason to go through the hassle of disconnecting it. Of course, this is just nitpicking.

Rpruett said:
llewdebkram said:

Surely all a graph like that shows is heavy users are lazy fuckers with no life. how does that translate to money spent and enjoyment?

Maybe Wii owners just have a more active and varied life.

Well if the graph shows anything....Most Wii owners are either in Daycare or Kindergarten.  LOL.      But in all seriousness,  I didn't bring up the graph or Nielsen.  I simply used it to show that all major companies (Sony included) probably has fairly reliable information in terms of the usage of different people.  This helps them better market and design their products.   I was called out and told that Nielsen knew more than Sony.    

Quite simply,  Nielsen proves what I know me and many others are experiencing.  The Wii just gets put in the closet. While the 360/PS3s get the consistent usage.

When the Wii is getting more play time than the other consoles from this gen, it kind of blows your argument out of the water.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

Around the Network

i think sony has spend millions of dollars in R&D creating a new drug and only their exec are allow to use it

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Shanobi said:
Rpruett said:
llewdebkram said:

Surely all a graph like that shows is heavy users are lazy fuckers with no life. how does that translate to money spent and enjoyment?

Maybe Wii owners just have a more active and varied life.

Well if the graph shows anything....Most Wii owners are either in Daycare or Kindergarten.  LOL.      But in all seriousness,  I didn't bring up the graph or Nielsen.  I simply used it to show that all major companies (Sony included) probably has fairly reliable information in terms of the usage of different people.  This helps them better market and design their products.   I was called out and told that Nielsen knew more than Sony.    

Quite simply,  Nielsen proves what I know me and many others are experiencing.  The Wii just gets put in the closet. While the 360/PS3s get the consistent usage.

When the Wii is getting more play time than the other consoles from this gen, it kind of blows your argument out of the water.

It better get more gross play time than any other individual console.  It has what a 20 million unit lead?

Ohh my, I smell milk everywhere

Whats up kids?

I think the usage argument is complete bs. I bet a lot of the 360/PS3 usage is from watching movies, listening to music, or web browsing. I'd like to see a gaming usage not just a complete usage.

dark_gh0st_b0y said:
fadetoone said:
Some day I hope to have a reason to plug my Wii back in.

why the heavens do you Ps3/Xbox360 fans get so repeating!?

ok, we got it, we know some of you have a Wii and do not use it

btw, the only reason i turn my Ps3 on is to watch a movie or Prison Break, but i don't repeat this in every single thread, for god's sake!

First time I've said it actually.  Just unplugged it the other day since I realized I hadn't used it in a while and the little bastard generates quite a bit of heat.

I'm a Wii fan.  That's why I haven't sold it.