By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Demigod: 18,000 users and 100,000 pirates

JaggedSac said:
vlad321 said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

So you would be willing to accept a job on which your employer paid you or not depending how happy he felt about you?

Knowing that he could use that excuse to not pay you when it was inconvenient to him?

Why don't you come over to Spain to work for me? I could use some helping hand that only gets paid for his job when I feel like paying his wage.

In georgia all contracts are at will. So yes, that's how it actually works. He could not like my haircut and he can fire me for that. Also, don't people get fired if they don't do their job? If the games failed at their job (entertain me) then they don't deserve to be paid (for). Also it's funny you should say that. I'm gonna start looking for work in a year or two in Spain. EU citizen and all and the colege will help me find a job there.

Yes, someone can be fired for not doing their job, but they must be compensated for the time that they spent working on said job.  At least that is how things get done in the US.  Protects the worker from unscrupulous people who would say the quality of work was unacceptable regardless of the actually results.  Thus, getting something for free, which should not have actually been free.

vlad is partaking of a product that of which he has no rights to.  The trading of money for a product(such as a digital copy of a game) is basically getting the rights to use said product.  vlad is giving no money, so has no rights to use said product, of which he does so anyway.  vlad is making the very odd assumption that everyone has the rights to use all products that are available in the world for free, and if he likes said product, he will compensate the provider accordingly.  This is a very odd sense of entitlement.  Especially given the assumption that all consumers would have the good grace to provide compensation based on the quality of the product.

Do you know how At Will employment works? They can fire me for ny reason they want. Anything whatsoever. I have no rights when it comes to it. If I haven't done a good job, I get fired. Plain and simple.

Also why should I pay for shit products? Please tell me why I should pay for games that outright blow. Isn't that the whole point of business and the free market? If you aren't up to snuff you dont get rewarded or go out of business?

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
vlad321 said:

Do you know how At Will employment works? They can fire me for ny reason they want. Anything whatsoever. I have no rights when it comes to it. If I haven't done a good job, I get fired. Plain and simple.

Also why should I pay for shit products? Please tell me why I should pay for games that outright blow.

I am not in contention with firing someone.  My point is this, for example, someone gets paid via monthly salary.  If someone is slacking on the job enough to get fired, the employer must still pay the employer up until the point of release.  That is what I am saying.  You cannot get something for nothing.

As to your next statement, given the fact that you did not purchase the 'shitty' game, you do not have the rights to play said game to discover that it is in fact shitty.  If you have the suspicion that a game is shitty, do not purchase it.  Perhaps get a demo.  You are not entitled, in any way what so ever, to play a full game for free.  Regardless of the quality of said game.

JaggedSac said:
vlad321 said:

Also why should I pay for shit products? Please tell me why I should pay for games that outright blow.

I am not in contention with firing someone.  My point is this, for example, someone gets paid via monthly salary.  If someone is slacking on the job enough to get fired, the employer must still pay the employer up until the point of release.  That is what I am saying.  You cannot get something for nothing.

As to your next statement, given the fact that you did not purchase the 'shitty' game, you do not have the rights to play said game to discover that it is in fact shitty.  If you have the suspicion that a game is shitty, do not purchase it.  Perhaps get a demo.  You are not entitled, in any way what so ever, to play a full game for free.  Regardless of the quality of said game.

Technically, I didn't get shit from those games except a waste of time. In fact, I should be paid back for the time I spent wasting my time with the shitty game in question.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

dont pirates realise their destroying the game industry? their the reason DRM exists!

vlad321 said:
JaggedSac said:
vlad321 said:

Technically, I didn't get shit from those games except a waste of time. In fact, I should be paid back for the time I spent wasting my time with the shitty game in question.

LOL.  Oh bloody hell.

Around the Network
O-D-C said:
dont pirates realise their destroying the game industry? their the reason DRM exists!

No, "pirates" is the reason the industry uses for justifying DRM to the consumer, however as has been mentioned many times before DRM does nothing to stop piracy and is all about content control and removing the rights of legit users.

I can repeat this until I'm blue in the face.

Piracy of PC games has been so easy since the dawn of PC gaming. Back in the early days copy protection was so weak that most gamers and hobby gamers I new generally had a pirated copy. Piracy percentage really hasn't increased since the dawn of time. So how did companies like EA, Vivende, MS and so many other companies survive?

Simple it never really mattered until numbers of piracy were able to be revealed. Suddenly this new "trackable" number has been ruining the industry even though this number has always existed.

Buy the game. Buy any game that you want to play. It's the right thing to do and developers should be paid for their work, but whining about it is worthless. Piracy made no impact before the numbers and piracy is making no difference after the numbers. It's just that you can't fear something you don't know. Now that numbers are known people fear.

Edit: Stardock had an article about not making games for the Chinese market. The principle of the article is that don't produce a product that you know will not make you money. Stardock knew from the begining they were making a high profile pirate game. So while they may report these numbers and activly didn't include DRM they are suceeding in their goals. The game is selling. With or without DRM Stardock ceo believes this is the ratio they expected.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

This is another thread that shows that games are not really discussed in the PC forum (outside Blizzard´s), but mainly tech trends and piracy.

Every single post by vlad in this thread makes me sad, btw.

vlad321 said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
vlad321 said:
JaggedSac said:
vlad321 said:
JaggedSac said:
LOL. vlad, you have wacked out sensibilities.

Make a good game and you get my money. I'm not supporting shit, plain and simple.

It isn't a question of support.  It is a matter of you obtaining a copy of a product that you have no rights to.  Much like a movie theatre.  You aren't allowed to watch a movie and then pay afterwards if you think it is good.  That would be much like tipping or charity.  The product is free, but if you want, you can give us some money. LOL.

But there is no trying to reason with people such as yourself, in their mind they think are right and justified.

Again, copying isn't theft.

So you would be willing to accept a job on which your employer paid you or not depending how happy he felt about you?

Knowing that he could use that excuse to not pay you when it was inconvenient to him?

Why don't you come over to Spain to work for me? I could use some helping hand that only gets paid for his job when I feel like paying his wage.

In georgia all contracts are at will. So yes, that's how it actually works. He could not like my haircut and he can fire me for that. Also, don't people get fired if they don't do their job? If the games failed at their job (entertain me) then they don't deserve to be paid (for). Also it's funny you should say that. I'm gonna start looking for work in a year or two in Spain. EU citizen and all and the colege will help me find a job there.

Ahh... so u are European! It says United States in your profile, but I always thought u felt European.
(and it's not meant as a compliment in this case)

Slimebeast said:
vlad321 said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
vlad321 said:
JaggedSac said:
vlad321 said:
JaggedSac said:
LOL. vlad, you have wacked out sensibilities.

Make a good game and you get my money. I'm not supporting shit, plain and simple.

It isn't a question of support.  It is a matter of you obtaining a copy of a product that you have no rights to.  Much like a movie theatre.  You aren't allowed to watch a movie and then pay afterwards if you think it is good.  That would be much like tipping or charity.  The product is free, but if you want, you can give us some money. LOL.

But there is no trying to reason with people such as yourself, in their mind they think are right and justified.

Again, copying isn't theft.

Ahh... so u are European! It says United States in your profile, but I always thought u felt European.
(and it's not meant as a compliment in this case)

I go to college here.