By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fire Emblem is a difficult series, I don't know if you guys have heard

RolStoppable said:
Khuutra said:
Dragging this back up, brushing it off.

God, what a nice topic. All our Fire Emblem players are largely gone, though, except me and Rol. Can this be revived, or would it require a new topic? And new members!?

I haven't played Fire Emblem in almost three years, now.

THat makes this a perfect time to start Sacred Stones. Yeah!

According to Mr Khan, Virtual Console games on the 3DS have an actual quick save (hard save) feature, unlike on the Wii where it's just a soft save. It doesn't look like this holds true for the GBA games. What do you know about it?

The reason why this is important is because the Tower and Ruins in Sacred Stones have no in-game hard saves between floors which makes them a real pain to complete without losing any units. Well, the Ruins. The Tower isn't hard.

Testing this with Legend of Zelda and Yoshi's Island, no, that isn't true. LoZ is definitely a soft save state like on the Wii, and the GBA games don't do save states at all unless it's through a function that isn't immediately apparent to me.

I had heard Sacred Stones was one of the easier (maybe the easiest) Fire Emblems.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
RolStoppable said:
Khuutra said:

God, what a nice topic. All our Fire Emblem players are largely gone, though, except me and Rol. Can this be revived, or would it require a new topic? And new members!?

According to Mr Khan, Virtual Console games on the 3DS have an actual quick save (hard save) feature, unlike on the Wii where it's just a soft save. It doesn't look like this holds true for the GBA games. What do you know about it?

The reason why this is important is because the Tower and Ruins in Sacred Stones have no in-game hard saves between floors which makes them a real pain to complete without losing any units. Well, the Ruins. The Tower isn't hard.

Testing this with Legend of Zelda and Yoshi's Island, no, that isn't true. LoZ is definitely a soft save state like on the Wii, and the GBA games don't do save states at all unless it's through a function that isn't immediately apparent to me.

I had heard Sacred Stones was one of the easier (maybe the easiest) Fire Emblems.

Well, I thought PoR was the easiest, but I only say that because it is the only one I beat on Hard(didn't lose anybody), but then again, I lost interest in RD after trying to beat it on hard since I had played it 2 times before already. I never beat SS though. It bored me, although I really want to beat it so I can compare the differences in the campaign after those two characters parted ways and you had to choose which one to play as or something like that. SD also seemed pretty easy, but I don't think I beat it on hard yet. My first playthrough though, I made the mistake of keeping Jagen. -_-

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Ah, yes, that's definitely true in Link's Awakening. It may just be something to do with LA being a proper Virtual Console game rather than a quick and hasty port. I suspect that whenever we get GBA/NES/(hopefully) SNES titles on the Virtual Console, we'll get functionality patches for the Ambassador titles.

How are the lords in Sacred Stones? I hear the dude is a spear user. That is pretty cool. Maybe he will be as good as NepheneeeEEEHAHAHAHAHA I almost finished.

Khuutra said:

Hey, I'm still here, too. Not a lot, sure, but still occasionally here.

I don't think reviving this would be an issue really. There's a lot to talk about. For instance, Fire Emblem 13. There's not a lot of information about it yet, but there is a bit.

For instance, the art style being quite different. Looking like this: http://serenesforest.net/fe13/img/913/008.jpg

RolStoppable said:
Khuutra said:

You've never played Sacred Stones, eh? The reason why it's said to be one of the easier FEs is because it allows you to grind in optional areas. I already mentioned the Tower and the Ruins, but there are also monster encounters on maps you've already cleared in the storyline. If you don't grind, the storyline is about as challenging as in any other FE. But since the option exists, it's easier for less experienced players to reach the end, because they can offset their lack of strategical abilities by investing time in leveling up their units.

Another problem with Sacred Stones is that it's one of the FEs that encourage levelling up just a few units instead of using your entire team. It's entirely possible to use just Seth to do absolutely everything in the game.

I'm fairly certain you can do the entire final chapter with him alone. It's not like you need to, though, as you get Dussel at level 10 final tier halfway into the game too.

Essentially, Sacred Stones is so easy because there's a ton of methods you can do to trivialise the game. If you don't use those, then the game is just as hard as the other Fire Emblems.

Pineapple said:

Hey, I'm still here, too. Not a lot, sure, but still occasionally here.

I don't think reviving this would be an issue really. There's a lot to talk about. For instance, Fire Emblem 13. There's not a lot of information about it yet, but there is a bit.

For instance, the art style being quite different. Looking like this: http://serenesforest.net/fe13/img/913/008.jpg

Another problem with Sacred Stones is that it's one of the FEs that encourage levelling up just a few units instead of using your entire team. It's entirely possible to use just Seth to do absolutely everything in the game.

I'm fairly certain you can do the entire final chapter with him alone. It's not like you need to, though, as you get Dussel at level 10 final tier halfway into the game too.

Essentially, Sacred Stones is so easy because there's a ton of methods you can do to trivialise the game. If you don't use those, then the game is hard.

Pineapple! I thought you were forum-dead. You must be doing some serious lurking.

I hope FE13 turns out to be good. I mean, I'm sure it will, but htere's just a certain charm in Fire Emblem inherent to its 80's-style anime aesthetic. Trading it off for something more modern and flowery, I'm just not sure.

The writing, I hope, will still be good. I'm sure these new gameplay elements will be balanced, but they seem to be adding a couple of layers of complexity to it - and as we all know, complexity invites the possibility of exploitation. The balance in this game is going to be very interesting.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Khuutra said:
Ah, yes, that's definitely true in Link's Awakening. It may just be something to do with LA being a proper Virtual Console game rather than a quick and hasty port. I suspect that whenever we get GBA/NES/(hopefully) SNES titles on the Virtual Console, we'll get functionality patches for the Ambassador titles.

How are the lords in Sacred Stones? I hear the dude is a spear user. That is pretty cool. Maybe he will be as good as NepheneeeEEEHAHAHAHAHA I almost finished.

He is easily better than Nephenee. He has good stat growths all around and when he promotes, he also gets a horse. His sister is very comparable to Lyn from FE7. Not only does she use a sword, but her growth rates for defense and resistance are lacking. She also gets a horse though, making her more useful towards the end of the game than Lyn.

Being better than Nephenee in the context of his own campaign would make him as good as Hector. That is a very high-utility Lord, especially when explained by someone who never uses supports.

I don't actually like horse units that much. Not sure why.

RolStoppable said:

The campaign of Sacred Stones branches after the first third of the game and ties together after the second third, although there are differences in the final third depending on which lord you picked as your main. Whether you picked Eirika or Ephraim, Ephraim will most certainly be one of the best units to use for the endgame.

You don't like horse units, because their high movement regularly makes you move them ahead of the pack where they then die, because of their average defense and awful resistance.

I think it's more that I tend to think of them as support units. I tend to have good luck with Resistance and (especially) Defense on my paladins, so they're pretty good at running out, rescuing wounded, and retreating. Titania and Oscar were just about the only mounted warriors I didn't use that way.

I prefer the handheld versions over the console ones. I can replay the handheld ones but can't even finish the console versions.

Paul said:
I prefer the handheld versions over the console ones. I can replay the handheld ones but can't even finish the console versions.

Fire Emblem is definitely the sort of series that is not made appreciably better simply by being on consoles, similar to 2D Mario. It is very much suited to handhelds, for that reason.

Franz seems like a pretty all right sort of Cavalier!

Man Eirika, you just got a 1 + on that level. Letting me down, here!