By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - I believe this site has some modding issues

angrypoolman said:
if i had posted this, it would have been locked already.

And you'd have probably been given a warning to boot.  wfz posted it though so it should go on for a little bit (aka until Brett or Naznatips come lock it).

Around the Network

Is this the newest Vgchartz fad? To give you an analogy, imagine that moderators are police officers and the users are the citizens. Are you saying that citizens should never phone for the police because it's not their responsibility and the police should do all the work? Mods are not superheroes. They're not their to save the day just in time. They can't scan every thread every second of every day. To want a better site and still refuse to help is selfish at best.

And then you're even suggesting that it's because mods are lazy? Wfz, I really like you. But if you're going to continue like this, my opinions might change.

Words Of Wisdom said:
wfz said:

Why should the users get this responsibility put on them when they're just here to enjoy the great times on this site, and it's the mods' jobs to mod?

It's not a job, it's a voluntary activity.

Mods do it (hopefully) for the same reason that we users report people--to make the community better.  I try to report as much garbage as I can because in a forum this size with this many users, it's unlikely a mod will be on 24/7 and manage to see every possible bad thread out there. 

Besides, reporting a post takes all of 2 seconds.  Very little effort and for it we're rewarded with a great community.

Well when they become mods, it's their role to do modding...things...right? They get special privilages we normal users don't, in return for their services. It's not like they just so happen to be special so they get colors. They volunteer for the role, sure, but that doesn't mean that they should skate by half-a**ing it.

Wait, that wasn't even my point. I just think there aren't enough mods, or the mods we have don't have enough time to thoroughly do the role they signed up to do. Am I wrong?

If I'm going to report people left and right, I want some flashy colors and privilages, damnit! :P Why should we volunteer our services with nothing in return when they volunteer and get all these privilages?

Again I don't mean that they are slacking or anything, and I'm sorry if i accidentally came across that way. All I'm saying is that the mods don't have enough time to get around, or there aren't enough of them. I believe there should be more mods.

Unless there is something else I'm missing.

it depends what you guys consider trolling. I think trolling is where you deliberately post an old controversy in order to sniff out the noobs who go through the whole song and dance even though the debate has been completely sorted out already.
it's basically tricking people into arguing.
If that's not your definition of trolling then you're probably reporting the wrong thing.

I've had personal experience, where I kept reporting somebody to the mods, and they jsut ignored my compliants, and instead closed my thread...but hey, atleast, I DID NOT get banned for being harrassed, so I was happy (kinda like I'm happy about paying $2.75 for a gallon of gas, rather than $4)...lol.

But you won't see me complaining about VGC...I love it...(please don't ban me)...I'm not with Wfz...I never met the guy, I've never even heard of him...

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
Is this the newest Vgchartz fad? To give you an analogy, imagine that moderators are police officers and the users are the citizens. Are you saying that citizens should never phone for the police because it's not their responsibility and the police should do all the work? Mods are not superheroes. They're not their to save the day just in time. They can't scan every thread every second of every day. To want a better site and still refuse to help is selfish at best.

And then you're even suggesting that it's because mods are lazy? Wfz, I really like you. But if you're going to continue like this, my opinions might change.

uh oh, wfz.. montana hatchet is calling you out

MontanaHatchet said:

Actually, while it's practically impossible for police to be on the lookout everywhere all the time, modding on a site is hardly anything like that.

You don't have to catch them in the act, you can catch them and reprimand their act hours later when you find it. You don't have to wander around a huge city, only a small internet site.

Also, police can't tell if something happened if they haven't seen it. The beauty of online posting is that the posts don't disappear, so they stay there for the mods to read when they find them.

I don't know how many times I'm going to say this, but I don't mean to sound like I'm saying the mods are lazy. I believe that either the mods don't have enough time to spend modding, or that there just aren't enough mods on this site to thoroughly keep things in order all the time.

So unless I missed some other reason, I believe there needs to be more mods.

Seriously guys, I don't know why I'm getting so much flack for this. I'm not saying the mods are idiots, I'm not saying they're doing a bad job, I'm just saying that I think we need a few more in order to really keep this place clean.

I'm trying to be positive and proactive. Please!

Soriku said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Soriku said:
My only problem really is even when we report people for trolling or something sometimes mods don't seem to do anything.

So your problem is that the mods don't always share your opinion of trolling?

No, I'd say the stuff I report is legitimate.

For example, two days ago I reported mikemill on the MadWorld wall for posting this...

"This game and No More Heroes both prove that cool hardcore games just don't sell on the Wii. The Wii is DOMINATED by little kids and house wives! All the hardcore gamers are on Xbox and PS3... when are these developers gonna learn???"

He may have been warned...IDK...but don't posts like that get removed if people are warned/banned because of it?

Another time I reported Egghead for trolling on the Fragile wall but it seems nothing happened, so I talked to nordlead on IM and he asked why I didn't report him, and I said I did, and he said maybe some other mod deleted the report for some reason (even though I don't know how they'd let that particular comment pass). Anyway, nordlead warned and deleted the comment.

I reported a user for calling another user a "fag". I'm guessing he got a warning, but did he deserve one?

Can we get a poll of which console demographic hits "report" the most?
Should be easy to figure out.
I would do it but I don't have access to who is reported. I guess I could just look at who gets banned the most.

@soriku
I'm not sure I would consider mikemill trolling or flaming. He's just.... you know

EDIT: they do not delete the reported text. I guess you have to make a big deal about it for that to happen.