By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - I believe this site has some modding issues

First of all, let me say that I have no big gripes with the modding system or any mod in particular. My only problem is that mods expect us regular users to look around and report all the trolling, flaming, etc posts we see that break the rules, and report the posts to the mods. In essence, this means that us regular users are actually doing half of the mods' work! Why don't the mods do all of this themselves?

Are you mods too lazy, too captivated by looking at the cool colors in your screenname, perhaps spending too much time worrying about your screenname colors, or

(and here comes the serious part)

(YES, THAT MEANS THESE PREVIOUS POINTS WERE MERELY SARCASM AND FLUFFY HUMOR. MY GOD, PLEASE DON'T TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY, PEOPLE)

are there not enough mods on this site? No, this is not the part where I start throwing around names of people (including myself) who should be mods (  :P  ), but I think this is something that should be discussed if it hasn't already. It seems like the mods rely on regular users a bit too much, and don't do enough of the work themselves. Why should the users get this responsibility put on them when they're just here to enjoy the great times on this site, and it's the mods' jobs to mod?

What do you guys think? Should so much of the burden be placed on the regular users when we have mods who's job it is to do this stuff? Why do we have to do so much work?

On other sites I never see this problem, but it's extremely prevailent on this site. I believe the problem is that we don't have enough mods. Sometimes when I see a mod post in a thread where there is an extremely blatant case of trolling and doesn't do anything about the user, I sometimes question the situation... but I'm not going to delve into that.

Anyways, I believe we need more mods to help around the place.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Insert "role" instead of "job" if it makes you feel happier. :P

Summary: From what I can tell, there either aren't enough mods on this site to thoroughly cover everything, or the mods that we do have don't have enough time on their hands to thoroughly cover everything.

My solution? I believe we need more mods to help around this place and make VGChartz a cleaner and happier place.

Around the Network

-reported-

EDIT: be happy that the mods don't have tempers. They are relaxed and only get involved on their own when they have to. They are not our parents. If you don't get offended by me saying that "you and I are fu**** through professionaly" then they shouldn't jump in.

Especially when a lot of jabs, like that one, are just internet jokes and not offensive at all.

Lol...You're asking for a ban...jk...maybe...

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Not at all, the mods aren't paid, its not their job. They're just basically doing all us regular schmos a favour, the least we can do is try and make it a bit easier for them.

Take for example that I've never reported anyone. I just don't take offense that easily. however, I've been warned about tons of stupid little things. It's not the mods place to decide for themselves whether someone was offended.

Especially when some people here report others for disagreeing with them.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Take for example that I've never reported anyone. I just don't take offense that easily. however, I've been warned about tons of stupid little things. It's not the mods place to decide for themselves whether someone was offended.

Especially when some people here report others for disagreeing with them.

That's true, but it is their job to decide if a person was flaming or not. Or trolling. Or whatever negative word one chooses to assign to their actions. It's what they do every time a person is reported - all of them can see those reports.

I was once banned by a site for good because I said:
"I'm glad I went on that vacation and got away for a while, this place is a F*** warzone 24/7"

Well the mods get colors and special privilages such as banning people, and I never said pay has to be in monetary form. :P

Then again, Nordlead does get a $500 bribe from Rol each month.

From my perspective it just looks like there aren't enough mods, or they don't have enough time to get around and really check through threads and the rest of the site. On IGN for instance, I don't think I've ever seen a user report anyone else, and yet magically...the mods get everything done. I don't know how it's different on this site, but I don't particularly enjoy having to spend part of my time reporting posts on this site, I'd rather just have fun and post while the mods take care of it, since it's their "role".

I'll say "role" from now on since there seems to be a problem with saying "job". :P

You are a poster on this site...
Which is a great power...&
with great power comes great responsibility!

Yes... I'm saying we are all Spiderman...

we can't let evil spidermen rule the forums...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

This may not be the place to post this, but besides agreeing that there are not enough mods, I feel that there is not enough structure in the way that bannings are carried out. Something that one mod would give one day for, another mod would easily give a week for.

I also think that there should be some sort of submission form that is kept track of by one or two mods that hears complaints by those who were banned, and makes a decision on whether they should have their ban sustained, shortened, or possibly voided. It wouldn't be a common thing for bans to be overruled, but I regularly skim through the "Banned" users list, and some bans from the past have caught my eye as being uncalled for.

These are just my opinions.