By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - I believe this site has some modding issues

kowenicki said:
@soriku and claude

the mods here are ok... my problem is with the people here who are somewhat cry babies and report constantly....

I mean how can stuff about video consoles offend someone that much...

Grow a thicker skin.

REPORTED!!!!1111!!1

I do believe I've been scolded.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Cactus said:
Soriku said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Soriku said:
My only problem really is even when we report people for trolling or something sometimes mods don't seem to do anything.

So your problem is that the mods don't always share your opinion of trolling?

No, I'd say the stuff I report is legitimate.

For example, two days ago I reported mikemill on the MadWorld wall for posting this...

"This game and No More Heroes both prove that cool hardcore games just don't sell on the Wii. The Wii is DOMINATED by little kids and house wives! All the hardcore gamers are on Xbox and PS3... when are these developers gonna learn???"

He may have been warned...IDK...but don't posts like that get removed if people are warned/banned because of it?

Another time I reported Egghead for trolling on the Fragile wall but it seems nothing happened, so I talked to nordlead on IM and he asked why I didn't report him, and I said I did, and he said maybe some other mod deleted the report for some reason (even though I don't know how they'd let that particular comment pass). Anyway, nordlead warned and deleted the comment.

I reported a user for calling another user a "fag". I'm guessing he got a warning, but did he deserve one?

Mods are pretty severe with bigotry on here...so yeah.

I meant that he should have been banned, but likely only got a warning. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm almost sure that if another mod got the report, he would have been banned, and that's where my problem is.

Your gonna have authority problems anywhere you go. Just don't insult the Wii here and you should be fine.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

wfz said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Is this the newest Vgchartz fad? To give you an analogy, imagine that moderators are police officers and the users are the citizens. Are you saying that citizens should never phone for the police because it's not their responsibility and the police should do all the work? Mods are not superheroes. They're not their to save the day just in time. They can't scan every thread every second of every day. To want a better site and still refuse to help is selfish at best.

And then you're even suggesting that it's because mods are lazy? Wfz, I really like you. But if you're going to continue like this, my opinions might change.

Actually, while it's practically impossible for police to be on the lookout everywhere all the time, modding on a site is hardly anything like that.

You don't have to catch them in the act, you can catch them and reprimand their act hours later when you find it. You don't have to wander around a huge city, only a small internet site.

Also, police can't tell if something happened if they haven't seen it. The beauty of online posting is that the posts don't disappear, so they stay there for the mods to read when they find them.

I don't know how many times I'm going to say this, but I don't mean to sound like I'm saying the mods are lazy. I believe that either the mods don't have enough time to spend modding, or that there just aren't enough mods on this site to thoroughly keep things in order all the time.

So unless I missed some other reason, I believe there needs to be more mods.

Seriously guys, I don't know why I'm getting so much flack for this. I'm not saying the mods are idiots, I'm not saying they're doing a bad job, I'm just saying that I think we need a few more in order to really keep this place clean.

I'm trying to be positive and proactive. Please!

You may not have to catch the poster in the act, but you still need help knowing that the situation actually exists. A murder could go off in public view, but if no one reported it, the police would be none the wiser. As for an internet site versus a large city, try scaling it. The average large city has hundreds if not thousands of police, whereas Vgchartz has about 20 mods (can't remember exactly).

You're right though that the police don't know if something happens unless they've seen it. That's why they take the person in for questioning and the judicial system decides the punishment. It was a simple analogy and you're over-analyzing it.

As for the mods, some of them don't do as much modding as they could. I agree with you on that. I don't think we actually need more mods. Rather, we need the mods to be more motivated and understand that moderating is supposed to be an active job.

Alright guys, I edited the OP, and included a summary. I can tell that at least a few of you were confused by my original post, and I'm sorry for the confusion. I hope the bolded summary at the bottom helps clear everything up!

Also, I don't want this thread turning into a "lets bitch about the mods" thread. Please guys, I was just trying to suggest that we need more mods. If you have other issues with modding, please go to the appropriate thread to do so.

Around the Network

I just saw a comment on another thread that should deserve a ban but I doubt its gonna happen. Hell a thread on the front page should also get ban or at least warning since the persons new.

I agree with you. Im not bashing the mods but I dunno there is something missing.

I think everything is perfect the way it is.

Soriku said:
Shadowblind said:

Your gonna have authority problems anywhere you go. Just don't insult the Wii here and you should be fine.

Oh come on, don't say dumb generalizations like that.

Well, no place on teh interwebz is gonna have perfect authority....

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

MontanaHatchet said:
wfz said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Is this the newest Vgchartz fad? To give you an analogy, imagine that moderators are police officers and the users are the citizens. Are you saying that citizens should never phone for the police because it's not their responsibility and the police should do all the work? Mods are not superheroes. They're not their to save the day just in time. They can't scan every thread every second of every day. To want a better site and still refuse to help is selfish at best.

And then you're even suggesting that it's because mods are lazy? Wfz, I really like you. But if you're going to continue like this, my opinions might change.

Actually, while it's practically impossible for police to be on the lookout everywhere all the time, modding on a site is hardly anything like that.

You don't have to catch them in the act, you can catch them and reprimand their act hours later when you find it. You don't have to wander around a huge city, only a small internet site.

Also, police can't tell if something happened if they haven't seen it. The beauty of online posting is that the posts don't disappear, so they stay there for the mods to read when they find them.

I don't know how many times I'm going to say this, but I don't mean to sound like I'm saying the mods are lazy. I believe that either the mods don't have enough time to spend modding, or that there just aren't enough mods on this site to thoroughly keep things in order all the time.

So unless I missed some other reason, I believe there needs to be more mods.

Seriously guys, I don't know why I'm getting so much flack for this. I'm not saying the mods are idiots, I'm not saying they're doing a bad job, I'm just saying that I think we need a few more in order to really keep this place clean.

I'm trying to be positive and proactive. Please!

You may not have to catch the poster in the act, but you still need help knowing that the situation actually exists. A murder could go off in public view, but if no one reported it, the police would be none the wiser. As for an internet site versus a large city, try scaling it. The average large city has hundreds if not thousands of police, whereas Vgchartz has about 20 mods (can't remember exactly).

You're right though that the police don't know if something happens unless they've seen it. That's why they take the person in for questioning and the judicial system decides the punishment. It was a simple analogy and you're over-analyzing it.

As for the mods, some of them don't do as much modding as they could. I agree with you on that. I don't think we actually need more mods. Rather, we need the mods to be more motivated and understand that moderating is supposed to be an active job.

On the "police" thing, I just thought that it wasn't a very good analogy. I think being a mod is very different, but I'm sorry for overanalyzing it. :P

The bolded: That actually wasn't the point I was trying to make, and I made a few edits in my OP and just made a new post in hopes of clearing everything up. I merely think that the mods we do have don't have enough time to put into modding (which is completely reasonable), or we don't have enough mods on this site, and they can't feasibly get around to cover everything (which is completely reasonable).

I believe that this could be remedied by getting more new mods to help around the place. If there are some mods who don't do anything, then perhaps it is for the best to let them go and make new mods in their place, but I have no evidence for that and I do not wish to imply that that was my point.

SEECE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN BANNED.

That said, lots of people have posted much worse than him, and have gotten away with it. People like Starcraft can troll up and down a thread, but when I report him for obvious trolling, apparently it's not, since he uses double-speak and hyperbole.

I don't understand how resident trolls are not banned while people who do change after bannings are. seece used to be such a xbot, but he's really changed his tune, and Starcraft used to be an xbot, and is an even bigger xbot. But he is still here for some god-awful reason. I just don't understand how there is no cut and dry rules for trolling and not trolling. Seems like some people get to reside here, and troll over and over again with no reprocussions for no good reason, and never change. But the people that are, get banned. What a backwards way of thinking.