By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - I believe this site has some modding issues

There are a number of very selective mods here.

On two occassions I've been banned because of a presumption of what I'd said in a post only to be unbanned by another mod when requesting my post to be looked at again.

Only yesterday I was given a warning for posting a joke comment yet a homophobic post two above mine was not noticed, or completely ignored.

Having said all that I know how difficult it is, having been a mod myself on AOL teen / kids chat.

People have different interpretations and views on other users posts and it's impossible to please everyone on a busy opinionated forum like this.

Around the Network
wfz said:

Why should the users get this responsibility put on them when they're just here to enjoy the great times on this site, and it's the mods' jobs to mod?

It's not a job, it's a voluntary activity.

Mods do it (hopefully) for the same reason that we users report people--to make the community better.  I try to report as much garbage as I can because in a forum this size with this many users, it's unlikely a mod will be on 24/7 and manage to see every possible bad thread out there. 

Besides, reporting a post takes all of 2 seconds.  Very little effort and for it we're rewarded with a great community.

Khuutra said:
theprof00 said:
Take for example that I've never reported anyone. I just don't take offense that easily. however, I've been warned about tons of stupid little things. It's not the mods place to decide for themselves whether someone was offended.

Especially when some people here report others for disagreeing with them.

That's true, but it is their job to decide if a person was flaming or not. Or trolling. Or whatever negative word one chooses to assign to their actions. It's what they do every time a person is reported - all of them can see those reports.

I dunno, I remember a time when Rol said that, an unidentified poster who I shall call Lion-J, was (paraphrasing) a chump compared to another poster who I will call skreechred. And that leo-j was an idiot and he should learn from ZB.

I was like man that was rough.
I asked the lion guy what gives, and he said it was a joke from way back.

If it was the job of the mod to prevent things like that rol probably would have at least got a warning.

EDIT: yes it was intentional

Soriku said:
My only problem really is even when we report people for trolling or something sometimes mods don't seem to do anything.

This is rarely the case, I imagine. The most common result of reported actions is bound to be warnings, because not all instances of trolling and flaming result in bans. Just because we don't see that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

@theprof00:

Slow down. You lost me. Whose lion is this and why are people making fun of him

Soriku said:
My only problem really is even when we report people for trolling or something sometimes mods don't seem to do anything.

So your problem is that the mods don't always share your opinion of trolling?

Around the Network

could be that they disagree with you^

Khuutra said:
Soriku said:

This is rarely the case, I imagine. The most common result of reported actions is bound to be warnings, because not all instances of trolling and flaming result in bans. Just because we don't see that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

@theprof00:

Slow down. You lost me. Whose lion is this and why are people making fun of him

It's easy to figure out if you also slow down :P

Words Of Wisdom said:
Soriku said:

So your problem is that the mods don't always share your opinion of trolling?

This is an important point, too - I imagine that a lot of people get reported for no good reason. Hell, sometimes I wonder about reports that I've made, and whether or not they're necessarily justified.

if i had posted this, it would have been locked already.

Soriku said:

This.

I report blatant trolling all the time. So I'm not sure if mods just aren't getting off their asses or they see me reporting and say, "there goes Claude again."

So my only problem is with lack fo consistency. Most of the terrible mods have been dealt with already so it's no one in particular.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"