By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - For non-english europeans gamers

Barozi said:
iFlower7 said:
The Scandinavian publisher of Sony games have translated many of the games into Swedish. Even Resistance 2 which is rated 18+ iirc, and it's fucking ridiculous. It totally destroys the experience so of course I changed to English.

I feel sorry for all the people in Germany and France and such that have to watch their movies and play their games in German/French etc.

No wonder they suck at English there.

:P

I have to disagree.

Maybe you're right with games, but I do think movies should be dubbed in the native language.

1st: If you look at Germany, the German language is endangered. Most of the young people here already use too many English words and their German counterparts are getting lost. I can't imagine how this would continue if movies are in English.

A cultural shame !

2nd: I think the quality of movies increases with dubbing !!! In Hollywood movies you have great actors, but many of them can't express emotions with their voices - only with their acting.

I watched a part of Lord of the Rings in English and I thought it was boring as hell. I loved the same scene in German, because of the better voices.

What about the jokes and language nuances which don't work when translated?

The answer to cultural endangerment is not spoiling the movies by dubbing them IMO :P

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

@ barozi: If you are afraid of your cultural heritage, it's not because of English movies and such. Schools, german shows, german soaps, german music, books, parents and such should be sufficient to keep a cultural heritage alive.

Movies that are in English, should not be destroyed either by dubbing them. Hearing John Wayne go "How are you?" in his typical voice or some French or German dude go "Comment ça va" or "wie geht's" is just blasphemy >_>

NJ5 said:
Turin Turambar said:

As NJ5 said, I'm Italian and most of the games are translated (and trust me, Italians are very good in translating indeed) like other things such as movies. I don't bother that much if a game isn't translated (like Ninja Gaiden II), I got no problems with English, and, if it's possible, when the game is japanese I like to hear the original voices (no big deal though).

Well I feel sorry for you iFlower7 who'll never get stuff translated and when you'll get it it'll be aweful, cuz we have excellent translators that let us appreciate the stuff as much as Americans and British, and if we want we always have the option of listening to them in English. We have both choices, both excellent, but usually I prefer watching a movie, instead of reading it. ;)

I have seen movies with and without subtitles (when I watched movies at the cinema in other countries), and I can tell that it's not very different... When you're used to reading subtitles, you don't really "read the movie", you watch and quickly read at the same time (it's your native language after all). I can understand it would be different for someone who isn't used to read subtitles.

I have seen movies with subtitles too and even though I think you are right (no big difference) I found them really annoying, because my eyes feel endlessly attracted by them (I mean, even if I was watching an italian movie with italian subtitles I would read them); but anyway, my answer was a bit sarcastic of course...

Sometimes even if you know what you are going to lose, you got to go fight. That's part of being a man.  Eikichi Onizuka

I want original voices for games and movies. Only few things (south park for example) are better in French. So I have to improve my english and or my japanese.

Go buy Metroid OTHER M!

Wii code: 6775-1034-2238-1634

PSN: birdie93      XBL: luthor93

3DS: 3909-7597-9889

You can add me, I won't stop you!

My website: www.fight4custom.com

NJ5 said:
Barozi said:
iFlower7 said:
The Scandinavian publisher of Sony games have translated many of the games into Swedish. Even Resistance 2 which is rated 18+ iirc, and it's fucking ridiculous. It totally destroys the experience so of course I changed to English.

I feel sorry for all the people in Germany and France and such that have to watch their movies and play their games in German/French etc.

I have to disagree.

Maybe you're right with games, but I do think movies should be dubbed in the native language.

1st: If you look at Germany, the German language is endangered. Most of the young people here already use too many English words and their German counterparts are getting lost. I can't imagine how this would continue if movies are in English.

A cultural shame !

2nd: I think the quality of movies increases with dubbing !!! In Hollywood movies you have great actors, but many of them can't express emotions with their voices - only with their acting.

I watched a part of Lord of the Rings in English and I thought it was boring as hell. I loved the same scene in German, because of the better voices.

The answer to cultural endangerment is not spoiling the movies by dubbing them IMO :P

They don't translate it 1:1, they change the script a bit.

I know in Scrubs there are 2 or 3 episodes where Elliot Reid speaks some lines in German. In the translated version she speaks Danish.

I don't say the translated jokes are better, but at least they are understandable for the native speaker. That wouldn't always be the case with American insider jokes.

@papflesje

Of course they should keep it alive, but in fact they can't.

German music was very rare in the last 10 years. You were lucky, if you heard 1 German song a day in the radio back then. Now fortunately it has changed a bit, but even worse: the German hip-hop scene spread out over the country and they use almost more English words in their raps than German words. And German gangsta rap has become VERY popular among kids and young adults.

And believe me the other options you've mentioned don't do their work either.

German schools suck. That's a fact.

Parents can't stop the influence of the internet

Shows and soaps want to be cool, so they use Denglisch (Official German word = mixture of Deutsch/English)

Around the Network

@ barozi: weird :-/

Our nation (Belgium) is at the crossroads of Europe, and we've been conquered by basically every other nation around us, and we've managed to keep our own language alive just fine, and that without having to resort to dubbing >_>

Compared to Dutch, german is a world-language, so it shouldn't be such a problem keeping it alive.

(although laziness on part of the speaker is probably the biggest problem.)

Barozi said:
NJ5 said:

I know in Scrubs there are 2 or 3 episodes where Elliot Reid speaks some lines in German. In the translated version she speaks Danish.

I don't say the translated jokes are better, but at least they are understandable for the nativ speaker. That wouldn't always be the case with American insider jokes.

Yes but when the movies are subtitled, you still have the translated jokes in the subtitles (of course they're sometimes much worse than the original ones). However anyone who knows English and doesn't care that much about the subtitles can still hear what the original joke was.

I understand that there are dubbings with a lot of quality, but no matter how much quality they have, it's still not the same movie with the same actors. I can imagine rather weird things may happen, such as the same actor having different voices in different movies (although I suppose they try to use the same voice actors again if possible).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

@Turin: If you ask an italian, italians are very good in just about everything.

You don't even notice the subtitles, unless there's a bad translation. Dubbing usually spoils all the jokes and USAn sitcoms are really bad even without dubbing (although, there's only one way to go). Also the lipsync goes away completely, although Bruce Lee movies and "spaghetti westerns" were pretty funny just for the sole reason.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

I hate localization. I prefer original language of game always. If something is dupped in english, it doesn't look good either.

Barozi said:
NJ5 said:
Barozi said:
iFlower7 said:

I have to disagree.

A cultural shame !

I don't say the translated jokes are better, but at least they are understandable for the native speaker. That wouldn't always be the case with American insider jokes.

@papflesje

Of course they should keep it alive, but in fact they can't.

German music was very rare in the last 10 years. You were lucky, if you heard 1 German song a day in the radio back then. Now fortunately it has changed a bit, but even worse: the German hip-hop scene spread out over the country and they use almost more English words in their raps than German words. And German gangsta rap has become VERY popular among kids and young adults.

And believe me the other options you've mentioned don't do their work either.

German schools suck. That's a fact.

Parents can't stop the influence of the internet

Shows and soaps want to be cool, so they use Denglisch (Official German word = mixture of Deutsch/English)

I don't know... some puritans are complaining about the use of English in our dictionary but I see it more like a natural evolution of our language. A lot of our words, both in German and in Dutch come from England or France or are basterdizations from both our languages... Just let the language take it's natural course.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->