By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - For non-english europeans gamers

If we weren't well enough versed in English to play games, don't think we'd be able to answer your question so don't expect any surprising answers...

Around the Network

I prefer the original language for two major reasons:

1. Dubbing is generally done with a lower budget and less attention to detail than the original.

2. Due to the trend of virtually all foreign media (except for morning cartoons etc) getting subtitled in Finland, we're extremely used to it, and movies/games in Finnish just sound... wrong. It's probably hard for native speakers of a more important language to understand, and does feel a bit unpatriotic at times, but that's just the way it is.

Besides, we're painfully aware of being the only people that can speak this infernal language, and characters that are supposed to be American/Japanese/Alien etc displaying mastery of The Glorious Ääkköset and The 15 Grammatical Cases of Ultimate Confusion ruins all immersion. ^^

I think there aren't any games that were translated to Slovenian ever. I prefer English for games, movies and stuff like that though, so its fine.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

@NJ5: Wii Fit really had benefited from subtitles, even more considering that the title easilly can reach audience that doesn't understand the languages it's translated to and the instructions are really helpful.

@Hentai: That's nice. How about the millions of people, whose language isn't dubbed or subtitled in the game? If you think that subtitles would make the game unplayable, what would it be if the game wouldn't have a single word in it you would understand.

@Turin: Hey, i know you italians.
No, really, i was joking.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Barozi said:
iFlower7 said:
The Scandinavian publisher of Sony games have translated many of the games into Swedish. Even Resistance 2 which is rated 18+ iirc, and it's fucking ridiculous. It totally destroys the experience so of course I changed to English.

I feel sorry for all the people in Germany and France and such that have to watch their movies and play their games in German/French etc.

No wonder they suck at English there.

:P

I have to disagree.

Maybe you're right with games, but I do think movies should be dubbed in the native language.

1st: If you look at Germany, the German language is endangered. Most of the young people here already use too many English words and their German counterparts are getting lost. I can't imagine how this would continue if movies are in English.

A cultural shame !

2nd: I think the quality of movies increases with dubbing !!! In Hollywood movies you have great actors, but many of them can't express emotions with their voices - only with their acting.

I watched a part of Lord of the Rings in English and I thought it was boring as hell. I loved the same scene in German, because of the better voices.

!!! O_o !!!

Dude, I really like your comments and I like you as a VGchartz user, but, excuse me again, you are completely disoriented on this subject.

Better voices in Lord of the Rings???

Wait, you mean, that there is actually somebody on this planet with a more powerful and astounding voice than CHRISTOPHER LEE himself???

On topic, I'm from Greece, I hate translations, I consider them to be retarded for older people (ok, they're alright for younger dudes) and my language is FAR TOO complicated, difficult and ancient to come to an endagered position because of the spread use of English language. So, give me my games, movies and series in their native language please!

Around the Network

i play most games in english, but i do like watching some movies in french, especially when they are made in france lol.

Vive le QUebec libre!!!

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.