By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - For non-english europeans gamers

In general only EA and Sony localise games to finnish (and i believe Sony wants to cut some costs, so it propably leaves only EA in the future), but it depends largely on the quality of localisation. For example EA:s NHL series have pretty good localisation with actual TV sports commentators.
This is pretty much comparable to TV series and movies. It's pretty much case specific, for example Cars has much better voiceacting in finnish that it has in english.

And no, i never have quit a game for not knowing the language. English isn't a problem, but Shadowrun had only swedish version available back in the day. It was a pain to beat the game, but also very good practice.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

The Scandinavian publisher of Sony games have translated many of the games into Swedish. Even Resistance 2 which is rated 18+ iirc, and it's fucking ridiculous. It totally destroys the experience so of course I changed to English.

I feel sorry for all the people in Germany and France and such that have to watch their movies and play their games in German/French etc.

No wonder they suck at English there.

:P

zexen_lowe said:

I'm not european, but not only I don't mind, I don't even like playing games in other than English. I hate playing games in Spanish, and it pissses me off when PC games automatically set the language to the system lang.

And I want the voices in the original game language, so that means I like Japanese games with voices in Japanese

So Marios voice should be japanease? Maybe he sounds the same now that I think of it.

Ot: No, I'm swedish and I prefer games to be in english rather than swedish.

Predictions for December 31st 2008:
Wii 38,000,000
DS 84,500,000
PS3 17,000,000
PSP 41,000,000
X360 23,000,000

As NJ5 said, I'm Italian and most of the games are translated (and trust me, Italians are very good in translating indeed) like other things such as movies. I don't bother that much if a game isn't translated (like Ninja Gaiden II), I got no problems with English, and, if it's possible, when the game is japanese I like to hear the original voices (no big deal though).

Well I feel sorry for you iFlower7 who'll never get stuff translated and when you'll get it it'll be aweful, cuz we have excellent translators that let us appreciate the stuff as much as Americans and British, and if we want we always have the option of listening to them in English. We have both choices, both excellent, but usually I prefer watching a movie, instead of reading it. ;)

Sometimes even if you know what you are going to lose, you got to go fight. That's part of being a man.  Eikichi Onizuka

Esmoreit said:
I'm Dutch... we don't dub movies and as such, I will always stick with English. A Dutch option is hardly ever provided but even when it is, I stick to English.

Beyond Good & Evil was awesome in Dutch though! But I'm glad we don't dub movies in Holland.

Around the Network

No I always play in English even if it would have Swedish text.

It's easy to understand English, we have what? 75% of everything shown on our televistion network is in English.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

I prefer English, Dutch subs are fine for me though.

No problem if the game has subtitles or/and has good voices ( i.e. they speak clearly and the music isn't higher than the voice works like happens in Killer7 ).

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Turin Turambar said:

As NJ5 said, I'm Italian and most of the games are translated (and trust me, Italians are very good in translating indeed) like other things such as movies. I don't bother that much if a game isn't translated (like Ninja Gaiden II), I got no problems with English, and, if it's possible, when the game is japanese I like to hear the original voices (no big deal though).

Well I feel sorry for you iFlower7 who'll never get stuff translated and when you'll get it it'll be aweful, cuz we have excellent translators that let us appreciate the stuff as much as Americans and British, and if we want we always have the option of listening to them in English. We have both choices, both excellent, but usually I prefer watching a movie, instead of reading it. ;)

I have seen movies with and without subtitles (when I watched movies at the cinema in other countries), and I can tell that it's not very different... When you're used to reading subtitles, you don't really "read the movie", you watch and quickly read at the same time (it's your native language after all). I can understand it would be different for someone who isn't used to read subtitles.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

iFlower7 said:
The Scandinavian publisher of Sony games have translated many of the games into Swedish. Even Resistance 2 which is rated 18+ iirc, and it's fucking ridiculous. It totally destroys the experience so of course I changed to English.

I feel sorry for all the people in Germany and France and such that have to watch their movies and play their games in German/French etc.

No wonder they suck at English there.

:P

I have to disagree.

Maybe you're right with games, but I do think movies should be dubbed in the native language.

1st: If you look at Germany, the German language is endangered. Most of the young people here already use too many English words and their German counterparts are getting lost. I can't imagine how this would continue if movies are in English.

A cultural shame !

2nd: I think the quality of movies increases with dubbing !!! In Hollywood movies you have great actors, but many of them can't express emotions with their voices - only with their acting.

I watched a part of Lord of the Rings in English and I thought it was boring as hell. I loved the same scene in German, because of the better voices.