By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - For non-english europeans gamers

I'm belgian and it's okay for me to play in english, I don't really care.

Around the Network

@Deneidez: Actually, localisation doesn't equal dubbing. Usually it means subtitles.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:
@Deneidez: Actually, localisation doesn't equal dubbing. Usually it means subtitles.

Actually it means everything and well... I hate programs in finnish or finnish subtitles in games too. But yeah, I ment dubbing.

@Esmoreit: Considering the germanic languages have very close common origin, it may be hard to make a distinction between words that are borrowed and the ones that aren't. The distinction is much easier to make when a word is borrowed from a completely different family.

@Deneidez: The reason i mentioned subtitles is because it's the most common localisation there exist.
Finnish subtitles would actually be good in games. Like in movies or TV series.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:
@Esmoreit: Considering the germanic languages have very close common origin, it may be hard to make a distinction between words that are borrowed and the ones that aren't. The distinction is much easier to make when a word is borrowed from a completely different family.

@Deneidez: The reason i mentioned subtitles is because it's the most common localisation there exist.

More games should have subtitles, I agree with that... For example, Wii Fit doesn't for all European languages, and there are some medical/anatomical terms there that many people don't understand. Perhaps it could have sold a bit more if it was subtitled, and subtitling can't be that expensive.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

I always play games on their original language is possible. Even if it is or if it isn't english. I want to play games as they were ment. I prefere subs if it's a language i have a hard time understanding (ie not english or danish... ) I hate dubs. I don't want them and i'm glad my country only dubs kids cartoons :P So yeah it goes for everything from movies to games.

Check out my game about moles ^

NJ5 said:
Barozi said:
NJ5 said:

What about the jokes and language nuances which don't work when translated?

The answer to cultural endangerment is not spoiling the movies by dubbing them IMO :P

They don't translate it 1:1, they change the script a bit.

I know in Scrubs there are 2 or 3 episodes where Elliot Reid speaks some lines in German. In the translated version she speaks Danish.

I don't say the translated jokes are better, but at least they are understandable for the nativ speaker. That wouldn't always be the case with American insider jokes.

Yes but when the movies are subtitled, you still have the translated jokes in the subtitles (of course they're sometimes much worse than the original ones). However anyone who knows English and doesn't care that much about the subtitles can still hear what the original joke was.

I understand that there are dubbings with a lot of quality, but no matter how much quality they have, it's still not the same movie with the same actors. I can imagine rather weird things may happen, such as the same actor having different voices in different movies (although I suppose they try to use the same voice actors again if possible).

They keep the same voice for the same actor in each and every of his/her movies of course. Maybe it won't be the same movie with dubbings, but they help people who don't understand english appreciate the movie better, and for those who can, they can always change the language!!! I mean, we have both choices, way better position don't you think?

@bdbdbd :Well, I never said we are good at everything or that we are the best, I was just underling that dubbing can be a very good thing indeed. I'm sorry but you can't speak of italians like they were a single person, we 58 million!! Maybe you met a person (or more) who said italians are the best in something (i guess if they were talking about soccer they were right, we are the world champions ;) j/k ) but you can't identify a whole nation that way only because of your personal experience with some of them. I'm sorry but things are different. 

Sometimes even if you know what you are going to lose, you got to go fight. That's part of being a man.  Eikichi Onizuka

Native or original language is my rule...

I dislike most game dubs, wish they'd always leave the option for original voices (especially in the case of Japanese games).

Lived in Germany for 7 years, hated having everything dubbed (although I understood it just fine).
That having been said though, German and Italian dubs (those are the ones I have listened to a lot) are really well made. I've been through some horrible English dubs of JRPGs, and if those games were released in either Germany or Italy dubbed, I'd go for those instead of the English one.

NJ5 said:
bdbdbd said:

More games should have subtitles, I agree with that... For example, Wii Fit doesn't for all European languages, and there are some medical/anatomical terms there that many people don't understand. Perhaps it could have sold a bit more if it was subtitled, and subtitling can't be that expensive.

Very bad example. During some of the exercises of Wii-Fit I don't see the TV-Screen. If Wii-Fit had subtitles it might be unplayable. And I really like that the trainer speaks with me in my language and not in english.