By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft accused of infringing EU rules

SamuelRSmith said:
selnor said:
SamuelRSmith said:
kowenicki said:
I urge you non-europeans to take the test I posted above and the see why the Brits (and particularly the English) are roundly pissed off with then European gravy train.

Not all British/English people are anti-EU; just the ignorant ones.

Um, all I can say is sod off. I'm English and entirely against the EU. I absolutely want no part of the EU. There are masses of reasons, but to give you an idea the EU police could take control of the country and there would be nothing the English could. Except we bloody would, If I had to defend my home as an English person for my English way of life I would do it to the death. 90% of English people feel that way.

Ignorance is not looking into the treaty and thinking everything is rosey with it. Look again. I very much want UK to stay clear of EU.

90% of English people feel this way? Then why did 2.2% of the electorate vote for UKIP in the last election? They didn't win a single seat. (The BNP won even fewer votes... only 0.7% of the electorate).

It seems very apparant, to me, that the majority of Brits wish to remain in the EU. And so what if they do, or don't? Most don't have a clue what EU membership entails.

LOL BNP is long known as being highly racist in the past. BNP are a massively failiure political party. I would never vote for them. Tell me why then when Mr faggot Gordon Brown said he would not let the public vote on whether they sign the treaty did the public go absolutely insane. Every single paper we have here was against and for good reason. I'll list afew

EU will be able to sign new treaties with other countries on UK behalf without consulting.

EU courts can pass new laws for UK without consulting.

If needs arise EU police can come in and run the bloody country.

I'm sorry but you obviously live in a tiny pocket somewhere in the UK that missed the national uproar over Gordon Brown and the EU treaty.

Mr Cameron has promised us a vote and on this alone I will voter for him. EU talk about M$ monopoly. When EU is a monopoly on the most horrible scale. It's basically conforming Europe to one way eventually, it's World War conformity on the sly. The same thing just without the war.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Well all I can say is that europe has needed saving from itself twice in the last 100 years... and it was the british and the US that saved it.

To know the future... know your history.

"Europe" is a strange beast these days... Turkey?... Europe?... really? I dont think so.

I totally agree!!

People forget history so fast.  People forget the sacrifice Brits, Canadians and Americans gave to end 2 world wars and the cold war.  Very sad indeed.  Continental Europe would either be speaking German or Russian if not for America, Britain and Canada etc.

The fact that people don't learn from history is the greatest lesson history has to teach.

This is all way over the head of a simple student like me

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

whatever said:
A lot of ignorance being thrown around in this thread. M$ is reaping what it sowed.
They deserve every fine they get. At least the EU has some balls unlike the current US administration that is bought and paid for.

So if IE wasnt free with Windows how would you get the alternatives? I have never seen Firefox in any PC's shops round my way. So how would you download them?

So M$ cant sell their own product and give away free another product?

I guess all those companies who have ever done Buy one Get One Free are guilty of whatever you say.

Soleron said:

What I really want is for the EU to tackle MS-OEM deals where OEMs pay for every computer sold regardless of whether it has Windows or not. If they don't comply, MS raises the price of WIndows and reduces the "marketing money" they get (i.e. a rebate). This means it is never economic for OEMs to preload a free OS, because if they do they have to pay for a Windows license anyway but don't recieve the rebate funds. So they computer ends up more expensive with a free OS. See: Dell's Ubuntu PCs.

Here's an example. The costs are arbitrary but illustrate the point. You can see that if an OEM sells many more Windows PCs than Free OS PCs, it is cheaper to go with the contract deal and the monopoly is perpetuated.

Windows Cost Marketing money PC Hardware Cost Cost of OS Total PC Cost
OEM is not under contract, installs Windows $100 $0 $500 $100 $600
OEM is not under contract, installs free OS $0 $0 $500 $0 $500
OEM under contract, installs Windows $50 $15 $500 $35 $535
OEM under contract, installs free OS $50 $0 $500 $50 $550

I was unaware MS was still able to do this, I thought they had been forced to stop as part of the US anit trust case settling, though it would not be suprising for them not to have. 

I guess the other side to this is MS could force them to just buy OEM at price with out advertising suplment anymore, and push it them selves, without the discount 3rd party vendors may not be able to afford it anyway, or at least not vs the 3rd parties that take the deal. or take the deal secretly 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
NinjaKido said:
selnor said:
SamuelRSmith said:
kowenicki said:
I urge you non-europeans to take the test I posted above and the see why the Brits (and particularly the English) are roundly pissed off with then European gravy train.

Um, all I can say is sod off. I'm English and entirely against the EU. I absolutely want no part of the EU. There are masses of reasons, but to give you an idea the EU police could take control of the country and there would be nothing the English could. Except we bloody would, If I had to defend my home as an English person for my English way of life I would do it to the death. 90% of English people feel that way.

Ignorance is not looking into the treaty and thinking everything is rosey with it. Look again. I very much want UK to stay clear of EU.

I'm english too and can comfortably say that  I have no idea what your talking about , EU police ? exactly who or what is this organisation your reffering to ?

England depends heavily on the EU for it's economic stability , England breaking it's ties with the EU would be like cutting your wrists and sittin' still.

wronger than a wrong person on a wrong day

Well it depends on Europe for stability, perhaps not the EU itself.

goddog said:
SamuelRSmith said:
goddog said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Good. They should tackle Apple next about abusing their power with iPods to push iTunes.

you know there are other mp3 players out there. and if you reallly really dont like itunes there are 3rd party products, but getting mad at apple for ipod/itunes is like getting mad at apple for mac/osx   for them its one product.

on top of that you dont have to use the itunes store, itues gladly takes your cds, or other nonportected files like the ones for amazon. and if you want to strip an itunes songs drm all you have to do is burn it to a cd  (playlists are limited to 3 burns, but each track has no limit)

also apple/itunes has no where near the strangle hold on mp3 player, music sales, music jukebox programs, that  MS had/has on the browser market.

Just like how people could just buy another Operating System? It's pretty much the exact same thing, lol.

I guess you missed i listed the view of the device/os in there.

I also put in there apple has nowhere near the control that MS does/did in its os, and web-browsers and went on to describe the differences. if your not going to post a thought out reply, with points in it, why even do so?

I was under the impression that Apple has around 75% of the marketshare for iPods... that's way less than what Microsoft has with IE.

I post crap because I like to see my post count go up, it's my little e-penis (tbh, I just skimmed your post and read "there are other mp3 players out there", to which I responded "there are other OS' out there - as it's a parallel of what happened with Microsoft and what this thread was originally about, I apologise, I should have read your post more thoroughly).

selnor said:
whatever said:
A lot of ignorance being thrown around in this thread. M$ is reaping what it sowed.
They deserve every fine they get. At least the EU has some balls unlike the current US administration that is bought and paid for.

So if IE wasnt free with Windows how would you get the alternatives? I have never seen Firefox in any PC's shops round my way. So how would you download them?

So M$ cant sell their own product and give away free another product?

I guess all those companies who have ever done Buy one Get One Free are guilty of whatever you say.

netscape used to be bundled with MS OSs, they could just bundle, every mac comes with safari and opera, used to come with safari, opera and IE.

they could bundle opera or safari with xp/vista/7

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

CMoney said:
kowenicki said:
Well all I can say is that europe has needed saving from itself twice in the last 100 years... and it was the british and the US that saved it.

To know the future... know your history.

"Europe" is a strange beast these days... Turkey?... Europe?... really? I dont think so.

I totally agree!!

People forget history so fast.  People forget the sacrifice Brits, Canadians and Americans gave to end 2 world wars and the cold war.  Very sad indeed.  Continental Europe would either be speaking German or Russian if not for America, Britain and Canada etc.

The fact that people don't learn from history is the greatest lesson history has to teach.

And if it wasn't for Russia, Germany would have won WWII...

selnor said:
SamuelRSmith said:
selnor said:
SamuelRSmith said:
kowenicki said:

90% of English people feel this way? Then why did 2.2% of the electorate vote for UKIP in the last election? They didn't win a single seat. (The BNP won even fewer votes... only 0.7% of the electorate).

It seems very apparant, to me, that the majority of Brits wish to remain in the EU. And so what if they do, or don't? Most don't have a clue what EU membership entails.

LOL BNP is long known as being highly racist in the past. BNP are a massively failiure political party. I would never vote for them. Tell me why then when Mr faggot Gordon Brown said he would not let the public vote on whether they sign the treaty did the public go absolutely insane. Every single paper we have here was against and for good reason. I'll list afew

EU will be able to sign new treaties with other countries on UK behalf without consulting.

EU courts can pass new laws for UK without consulting.

If needs arise EU police can come in and run the bloody country.

I'm sorry but you obviously live in a tiny pocket somewhere in the UK that missed the national uproar over Gordon Brown and the EU treaty.

Mr Cameron has promised us a vote and on this alone I will voter for him. EU talk about M$ monopoly. When EU is a monopoly on the most horrible scale. It's basically conforming Europe to one way eventually, it's World War conformity on the sly. The same thing just without the war.

Because the public would be outraged by it, but that doesn't mean that the entire country is anti-EU, it's just that they viewed this as a direct attack on the sovereignty of Parliament, which it was. I didn't want the proposal to go through, does that make me anti-EU? No.