By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft accused of infringing EU rules

The European Commission (EU) has reached a preliminary view that Microsoft has undermined consumer choice and infringed EU rules by bundling Explorer web browser with its Windows operating system.

Microsoft and the EU have been involved in legal battles over competition issues for years and last year Microsoft was fined 899m Euros (£680.9m; $1.4bn). This fine was imposed after Microsoft failed to comply with a 2004 riling that it had abused its market position.

An EU statement released on Friday said “Microsoft’s tying of Internet Explorer to the Windows operating system harms competition between web browsers, undermines product innovation and ultimately reduces consumer choice.”

Microsoft is currently studying the commission’s preliminary finding and has eight weeks to reply.

Through the Explorer browser, Microsoft control the majority of the web browsing market. Although, business analysts believe that Microsoft have diversified enormously and are now no longer so reliant on its Windows operating system since they have generate large amounts of revenue from Xbox sales and its server software.

Data compiled by Gfk Chark-Trak suggested that Microsoft’s Xbox 360 was the fastest growing console in 2008 with the sales in the last three months of the year over the double the same period in 2007 in the UK, France, Italy, Spain and Germany.

Chris Lewis, regional VP of Microsoft’s Xbox business in Europe told the gamesindustry.biz website: “With eight million consoles sold since we launched, and consistently out-selling Playstation 3 in EMEA, we’re poised to build on this success in 2009.”

Around the Network

I think this stuff is overrated, I use an MS operating system, and I use Firefox.  No part of windows stops me.  If it didn't come with a free web browser, a bunch of people would be confused.  But the people that want other ones have no problems.  I wish my wii let me choose different wii browsers is that a monopoly?

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

@ kowenicki: let me guess, British? :p

The fine of 899m was given a heck of a while ago. Haven't they paid that one already or has that payment been delayed?

ps3 and wii...better watch out, cause you 2 are next. lol

as i have said previously...its time for microsoft to hire an army and start taking over their countries. the europeans are just jealous that microsoft makes more money than most of their countries.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

I find that to be ridiculous, does that mean Nintendo can't bundle Wii Sports?

No the consumer can get other games (or web browsers) at their leisure..

Around the Network

Good. They should tackle Apple next about abusing their power with iPods to push iTunes.

lmfao... MS gives away something for free and people bitch..

Talk about Can't Win.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

MrBubbles said:
ps3 and wii...better watch out, cause you 2 are next. lol

as i have said previously...its time for microsoft to hire an army and start taking over their countries. the europeans are just jealous that microsoft makes more money than most of their countries.

Are you being serious? Generally, when people make a quote like that I know they're joking, but it's you...

If they think that is monopolistic, wait until they see Windows Live integration with Windows 7, they are gonna bust some balls for that.

kowenicki said:
I hope BMW are watching out... I got some mats in my new car.. they were BMW mats... I should have been given a choice!!!!!!!!

Do you have a problem with competition laws?