By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft accused of infringing EU rules

selnor said:
SamuelRSmith said:
kowenicki said:
I urge you non-europeans to take the test I posted above and the see why the Brits (and particularly the English) are roundly pissed off with then European gravy train.

Not all British/English people are anti-EU; just the ignorant ones.

Um, all I can say is sod off. I'm English and entirely against the EU. I absolutely want no part of the EU. There are masses of reasons, but to give you an idea the EU police could take control of the country and there would be nothing the English could. Except we bloody would, If I had to defend my home as an English person for my English way of life I would do it to the death. 90% of English people feel that way.

Ignorance is not looking into the treaty and thinking everything is rosey with it. Look again. I very much want UK to stay clear of EU.

90% of English people feel this way? Then why did 2.2% of the electorate vote for UKIP in the last election? They didn't win a single seat. (The BNP won even fewer votes... only 0.7% of the electorate).

It seems very apparant, to me, that the majority of Brits wish to remain in the EU. And so what if they do, or don't? Most don't have a clue what EU membership entails.

Around the Network
goddog said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Good. They should tackle Apple next about abusing their power with iPods to push iTunes.

you know there are other mp3 players out there. and if you reallly really dont like itunes there are 3rd party products, but getting mad at apple for ipod/itunes is like getting mad at apple for mac/osx   for them its one product.

on top of that you dont have to use the itunes store, itues gladly takes your cds, or other nonportected files like the ones for amazon. and if you want to strip an itunes songs drm all you have to do is burn it to a cd  (playlists are limited to 3 burns, but each track has no limit)

also apple/itunes has no where near the strangle hold on mp3 player, music sales, music jukebox programs, that  MS had/has on the browser market.

Just like how people could just buy another Operating System? It's pretty much the exact same thing, lol.

What I really want is for the EU to tackle MS-OEM deals where OEMs pay for every computer sold regardless of whether it has Windows or not. If they don't comply, MS raises the price of WIndows and reduces the "marketing money" they get (i.e. a rebate). This means it is never economic for OEMs to preload a free OS, because if they do they have to pay for a Windows license anyway but don't recieve the rebate funds. So they computer ends up more expensive with a free OS. See: Dell's Ubuntu PCs.

Here's an example. The costs are arbitrary but illustrate the point. You can see that if an OEM sells many more Windows PCs than Free OS PCs, it is cheaper to go with the contract deal and the monopoly is perpetuated.

Windows Cost Marketing money PC Hardware Cost Cost of OS Total PC Cost
OEM is not under contract, installs Windows $100 $0 $500 $100 $600
OEM is not under contract, installs free OS $0 $0 $500 $0 $500
OEM under contract, installs Windows $50 $15 $500 $35 $535
OEM under contract, installs free OS $50 $0 $500 $50 $550

kowenicki said:
@ tombi... you know this for a fact do you? dont use words like definitley when it is your opinion.

we already are closer to the US than europe in so many ways. Sick of students (particularly from the south) talking politics.....

Bolded: Bigot, or are you being sarcastic? It seems like genuine blind hate for southerners...

Are you trying to belittle me because I go to University? I'm sorry I have an interest in learning AND a political opinion. Maybe you would like to raise the voting age to 40+?

More than 50% of people from the UK, when asked, are pro EU.

BTW, for those who think this is because Europe hates American business, let it be known that the state of California has also fined Microsoft for more than a billion:

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1012_3-1027598.html

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
Pyramid Head said:

I think this stuff is overrated, I use an MS operating system, and I use Firefox.  No part of windows stops me.  If it didn't come with a free web browser, a bunch of people would be confused.  But the people that want other ones have no problems.  I wish my wii let me choose different wii browsers is that a monopoly?

I use Firefox for the mopst part, but it does not work with all pages. I need IE to do a lo t of work stuff since Fire fox doesnt work. The pages wont load right or they just wont load at all. Some of the time it isnt even work related. I put some Digital copies from my BDs on my PC the other day and it required IE to be set as my default browser. Since I had Firefox set as my default, it wouldnt let me install it.

A lot of ignorance being thrown around in this thread. M$ is reaping what it sowed.
They deserve every fine they get. At least the EU has some balls unlike the current US administration that is bought and paid for.

flagship said:
So if they don't bundle explorer with Windows how are the vast majority of people who know almost nothing about computers going to actually get online to download a good web browser?

Its more of the fact that it is damn near impossible to remove IE since it is a part of the Windows OS.

kowenicki said:
Well all I can say is that europe has needed saving from itself twice in the last 100 years... and it was the british and the US that saved it.

To know the future... know your history.

"Europe" is a strange beast these days... Turkey?... Europe?... really? I dont think so.

Ah, but you forget, we are students, so we do know our history. The US and Britain wouldn't have been able to win WWII without Russia. If it weren't for the Eastern front, Germany would've crushed D-Day. Similarly, if we hadn't have opened a Western front (which is what D-Day was for), Russia would've fallen to Germany.

But, that's not the point. One of the reasons behind the EU was to put a stop to wars that had been going on throughout the entire of Europe's history.

Surely, you must agree that when fighting an economic battle globally it's better to be on the same team as the mighty Germans, rather than being against them.

SamuelRSmith said:
goddog said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Good. They should tackle Apple next about abusing their power with iPods to push iTunes.

you know there are other mp3 players out there. and if you reallly really dont like itunes there are 3rd party products, but getting mad at apple for ipod/itunes is like getting mad at apple for mac/osx   for them its one product.

on top of that you dont have to use the itunes store, itues gladly takes your cds, or other nonportected files like the ones for amazon. and if you want to strip an itunes songs drm all you have to do is burn it to a cd  (playlists are limited to 3 burns, but each track has no limit)

also apple/itunes has no where near the strangle hold on mp3 player, music sales, music jukebox programs, that  MS had/has on the browser market.

Just like how people could just buy another Operating System? It's pretty much the exact same thing, lol.

I guess you missed i listed the view of the device/os in there.   

I also put in there apple has nowhere near the control that MS does/did in its os, and web-browsers and went on to describe the differences. if your not going to post a thought out reply, with points in it, why even do so? 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog