By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Microsoft - The Wii doesn’t even have online

TheTruthHurts! said:
MS and Sony seem proficient this Gen at the art of inserting ones foot into mouth....XD!

lol true

and while thats happening nintendo is sitting back counting their money!!!

Around the Network

Get rid of the Friend codes and use usernames or something

And I think I remember something about pre-prepared text or something like that... like you're not free to fully input what you want to say?? Could be wrong but what ever.

The main issue is this Friend code thing in my opinion. Fix that and the Wii is fine.

4 ≈ One

I think the most fascinating thing here is that so many existing gamers think that the Wii's way of doing things online is somehow wrong, when in reality, it's just different, and very much designed to pander to the sorts of users it's drawing in.

Friend Codes are not particularly friendly to the internet-savvy, but to a concerned parent who doesn't know what their child might see or hear when playing online, they're the best thing ever. It gives them added security concerning what their children experience online. The lack of direct text communication in Mario Kart Wii was also intended along those lines. And for older players, it helps them avoid markedly bad online experiences by preventing trash talking (something which, in spite of what certain gamers think, is NOT appreciated or wanted by the vast, vast majority of interested-in-being-online gamers).

Through the lens of the internet-shy, the Wii is a great system to get into online gaming with. Only to die-hard fanatics do its precautions come across as being overbearing or Draconian.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Sky Render said:

I think the most fascinating thing here is that so many existing gamers think that the Wii's way of doing things online is somehow wrong, when in reality, it's just different, and very much designed to pander to the sorts of users it's drawing in.

Friend Codes are not particularly friendly to the internet-savvy, but to a concerned parent who doesn't know what their child might see or hear when playing online, they're the best thing ever. It gives them added security concerning what their children experience online. The lack of direct text communication in Mario Kart Wii was also intended along those lines. And for older players, it helps them avoid markedly bad online experiences by preventing trash talking (something which, in spite of what certain gamers think, is NOT appreciated or wanted by the vast, vast majority of interested-in-being-online gamers).

Through the lens of the internet-shy, the Wii is a great system to get into online gaming with. Only to die-hard fanatics do its precautions come across as being overbearing or Draconian.

Id argue thats overly protectionist, and an option should be built in for running without friend codes, for those of us that like to talk. I dont talk smack, but i do enjoy talking about other games, and depending on the situation, using stratagy to play a game.

Id have to say only the internet-phobic are the ones that enjoy friends codes... the people who think everyone is a pedophile out for their kids, or a scammer.

erring on the side of freedom of expression is always better then on the side of protectionism 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Why is is that every single interview with a rep or exec from Sony and MS must include at least one or more absolutely false statements regarding Nintendo?

Not just bad opinions or guile jabs but blatantly mendacious information.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

^ because Both MS and Sony loath nintendo cause they want there money. :P

Well MS PRs are more agressive lately... they downplay the Wii all the time and releaze huge reports every week how the 360 beat the PS3 by 2k units... maybe they know that they have to play every one of their cards this year, because they dont have any left...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Anyone notice that before Wii launches that MS was all "Wii60 FTW" but ever since has been, "Fuck Wii!"

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Those MS execs must be very ignorant to not know what features the Wii has!

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

Viper1 said:
Anyone notice that before Wii launches that MS was all "Wii60 FTW" but ever since has been, "Fuck Wii!"

Because before the wii launched Nintendo was their (unwitting) allie in their fight to stop Sony from owning the living room. But now that battle is over (no way PS3 is going to cut into PC sales), and what MS sees is that without the wii, the 360 would be the king of consoles.