By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii's horsepower explained.

ifs theres one dev that could beat HVS in the graphics department, itll be factor 5

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Around the Network

As much as I dont like The Conduits cliche look, I have to admit, they could doo miracles with the tech on the Wii ;) Nice read, tough seeing most games I still bealive that the Wii is not as powerfull as this articles makes many to believe ;)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

MikeB said:

The Broadway is a slow embedded PPC processor, that's fine, it serves its purpose. It's cheap to make, power efficient and small. IMO don't get your hopes up too high to think there will be huge gains in the future, it's a relatively simple processor similar (compatible) to the one found in the GameCube, GameCube developers won't run into troubles getting to most out of the Wii now and in the future.

The choice for less impressive less ambitious similar tech was a smart choice by Nintendo, they wouldn't have been able to compete on technicals anyway, this now allowed them to get the most out of the Wii quickly (like Mario Galaxy) and sell the Wii at huge profits. It also allows the Wii to be as small as a slimline PS2.

The original XBox may be more powerful overall (I imagine a default harddrive would be a big plus technically), but it was IMO a big ugly console, not as cute as a Wii.

The Gamecube and XBox were similar in overall performance, and each of them edged out the other in certain areas which (in most cases) were heavily used to create their best looking games. Without any official specifications on the Brodway or Hollywood processors it is impossible to compare the Wii to other systems ... What I have seen in the best games is the Wii is noticeably more powerful than the Gamecube and the XBox.

OriGin said:
Sounds like a Nintendo fanboy trying to convince PS3 and Xbox 360 fans that Wii is 'tough' like back in the GameCube days.

He was just taking a humorous (but realistic) approach to explaining the Wii's hardware. Who said he is convincing the PS360 fans specifically of anything? It is a Nintendo-oriented site. Why call him a fanboy if that point is obviously made clear?

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

i've given up trying to talk about power, because it doesn't even really matter to me.

i've actually worked on a couple of simple games (using gme maker) and i made a game a few years ago with decent 2d graphics, but it was slamed for having crappy gameplay. now i'm working on a game for my senior project with very simplistic graphics (like literally a grey block for walls and a blue circle for the balls) and most everybody that has played it has praised it because it's just fun to play.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47568

brawl friendcode - 3823-8201-9151

mario kart wii friendcode - 0387-9491-4552

PM me if you add me plz.

150vg$ bet(with haggy) mk wii 2009 worldwide sales > any 360/ps3 game released in 2009.

current mk wii worldwide sales (jan 9th): 553k

Around the Network

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad.

Soriku said:
So basically the Wii is 3 Xboxes + 2 PS2s in power? O_o

Yup, it's 2.8ghz :)

well as a proponent of powerpc id call your 5 a bit of a stretch, it is far more dependent on which family of ppc they are based on yours is based on what apple called power3 a good chip to be sure, and it could hand it to pentium II whcih it was much faster then at the time, the top end of the chip that i have seen is 2ghz dual 2, not bad, but the 5x your stating is something apple pushed back in the day and started with the power4 which is a freescale/motorola chip, so you missed out there. the power 3 is closer to 3 times per mhz and a big part of that is alvetech something that is not on any of the console chips since its very hard to program for. dont get me wrong its a great chip, its been engineered to be supremely efficient and reduce errors when computing.

on top of that if you want to comapre to the hd twins both are based off of what apple called power 5 (ibm called it power4, but is in no way related to the development of the power 4 by free scale) this chip does not actually conform to all the specifications in the power charter, but is very powerfullchip, the downside to it has been the heat it puts off, and scaling problems, one reason why apple parted with it so quickly. both the cell and the chip in the 360 have been stripped of many technologies in the core to allow for it to be speed up and kept cooler, the cell was radically altered and now has its own development linage. the chip inside the 360, however is not that dissimilar late model powermacs can run xbox360 games with the right firm ware, but most likely would have to scale the fx down. this does create the question of why we havent seen hacks to do this

so your post is partially right, yes its power is deceiving, yes it is more powerful then last gen, no its not quite five, and yes it can push some nice graphics, though the floating points on that chip is not as good as what would come latter in the power series, so its ai is hindered in comparison to 360 and ps3

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

yea its good. So wtf is wrong with the rest of them?

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Stop your nonsense! Everyone knows that the Wii is less powerful than the PS2, and that The Conduit looks worse than Killzone 1.

;(

I'm not so sure about the "3 XB + 2 PS2" formula... I might put it at just "3 XB" instead.