By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii's horsepower explained.

sc94597 said:
@The Anarchyz & BrayanA The problem is the Hollywood(wii's Gpu) is very obscure where we know very little about it. We know it uses TeVs, and many other things similar to the GC's gpu, but other than that we can't specify how much was upgraded and how much wasn't. I could tell you for sure though that it is more powerful than the Xbox's, Gc's(obviously), or PS2's Gpus.

Of course, i believe the Wii horsepower has the potential to be better than the Xbox, and it is better than the Gamecube and the PS2, but to say that it is better than 2 Xbox + 2 PS2s is different... If the Broadway is more powerful than 2 Emotion Engines + 2 P3s, that's one thing, but the whole architecture???... As a systems engineer i find it innacurate...

Now, if it is better than last-gen systems, i don't care, i care that it can bring me awesome games, for horsepower i have the PS3 with awesome games too...

Around the Network

@The Anarchyz Actually I agree with you. Like I said in my first post, you can't quantify a consoles power by saying two different other consoles added or multiplied together equal something. You won't be too accurate that way. Especially when the console you are trying to quantify hasn't really too much specs to work with, and its architecture isn't very similar to these other consoles. Its much easier to compare individual areas in linear terms than the whole consoles, so I agree with you on that it was kind of over exaggerating, but only because you can't really say something is X times more than something else unless they are the pretty much the same. Now if he explained things individually like the Cpu should be how many times more powerful, the gpu, the ram, etc then he might be more accurate. I would say looking at things individually is a better way of comparing things that are so different rather than overall. So I agree. I would say that it could probably do somethings better than if 2 xboxs+2 ps2s due to them lacking hardware that they can't just make up with brute strength, but not everything.