By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii's horsepower explained.

We all knew this a long time ago, it still doesn't matter if third party's won't take advantage of it.

Around the Network

@ HappySquirrel

Without any official specifications on the Brodway

It's basically a PowerPC 750CL line processor, geared towards power efficiency. Used for lower-end consumer electronics like printers, STBs, video surveillance, etc.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

HappySqurriel said:
DMeisterJ said:
Chrizum said:

The truth of the matter is that even the Game Cube was more powerful than the Xbox. However it's GPU and especially its RAM limitations created a situation where games had to be tailored through the Game Cube's special quirks in order for that power to come of use, which meant that it rarely did. I'm sure that most people agree that very few, if any last gen games at all, looked better than Resident Evil 4 - Game Cube, or The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. (RE: 4, which was originally a GC exclusive, and Twilight Princess Nintendo's own product.)

Did he mean that there isn't a GC game that looks as good as RE4, or that there isn't a PS2, XBOX game that looks as good as RE4?

Cause God of War 2 looked above and beyond better than RE4.

And if someone mistook Conduit for a PS360 game, they must be blind.

God of War 2 is a nice looking game, but it has a lot of polygonalization artifacts, pixelized textures, and unimpressive lighting which plagued the PS2. In other words, God of War 2 is a pretty game but not much of a technical show peice when compared to games like Resident Evil 4 and Rogue Squdren 2.

Plus God of War relies on a fixed camera that is very zoomed out most of the time, it is easier to make something look good if it is far away, plus it has very simple textures and relies on LOD'ing to keep up the speed and there are never many enemies if the background is detailed,  The game is designed to look as good as possible well requiring as little power as possible

NOtice how the desert in the first game camera becomes basically over head?

or how when the background looks fantastic it is always far away and there are never more than 5 or 6 enemies, or how the smaller enemies have mitten hands?  Or how the enemy A.I. is circle around then strike?

God of War 1 and 2 are well designed but they are as technically impressive as RE4,

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeB said:

@ HappySquirrel

It's basically a PowerPC 750CL line processor, geared towards power efficiency. Used for lower-end consumer electronics like printers, STBs, video surveillance, etc.

except your ignoring that it is geared specifically toward gaming and graphics, much like the gekko was a moded 750CXe

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comparing Wii with Xbox is like comparing PS3 with Xbox 360. As a result of smart first party development given sufficient time, PS3 will yield better results than 360 but those conditions are usually not met, whether the time limitation or its not a 1st party developer, PS3 yields worse or equal performance.

Wii is certainly better than Xbox in most aspects; however its much easier to develop games for xbox due to its similarity with the PC artitecture and in terms of raw power, xbox might be slightly better due to graphics horse power. But when the wii architecture is utilized smartly, it will yield results clearly superior to Xbox. Though one should not expect something more than twice of wii or xbox at best case scenario! It would be too optimistic otherwise.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

Around the Network
MikeB said:

@ HappySquirrel

The Gekko processor was based on a Power3 architecture with major modifications (32 additional instructions for example) ... What we know about the Hollywood processor is that it is based off of the Gekko and is (approximately) twice as big, which implies that there were major modifications.

Saying that the Hollywood processor is basically a particular PowerPC processor is exactly like saying that the Cell or Xenon processors are basically a particular PowerPC processor; after all the Xenon (and I believe the Cell) was based on the Power3 architecture with heavy modifications.

@ HappySquirrel

Saying that the Hollywood processor is basically a particular PowerPC processor is exactly like saying that the Cell or Xenon processors are basically a particular PowerPC processor

I don't know much about the Hollywood chip, but I know the Broadway chip is a PowerPC 750CL family chip.

The Cell's PPE is very similar to a Xenon core, the interesting part of the PS3's Cell are the 7 powerful SPEs and their arrangement.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

GC > PS2 absolutely... compare god of war is a heresy... RE4 had half of the polygon count in PS2 compared to the GC version and considerable frame rate drop when engaging many enemies.

Chrizum said:

There is indeed a major war going on in the gaming industry. It is not a console war so much as it is a war for balancing out resources between Casual and Core type games. In this war, the Core gamer does not seek the eradication of the casual. The Casual gamer is needed.

This is where I think the article is mistaken. The so-called "core gamer" DOES seek the eradication of the casual: to push everyone but them away from gaming again just as they did ten years ago. There is no true threat to the core, not even if casuals are catered to, but the core imagine a threat that people who Aren't Like Them will get into gaming, and this scares them to death, because for all that Nintendo was inflammatory when they described the core demographic as "anti-social teens," one thing they weren't is incorrect. The industry and its core demographic is ailing, and the cure is an infusion of new blood and the resulting socialization of the core.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

MikeB said:
@ HappySquirrel

Saying that the Hollywood processor is basically a particular PowerPC processor is exactly like saying that the Cell or Xenon processors are basically a particular PowerPC processor

I don't know much about the Hollywood chip, but I know the Broadway chip is a PowerPC 750CL family chip.

The Cell's PPE is very similar to a Xenon core, the interesting part of the PS3's Cell are the 7 powerful SPEs and their arrangement.

One of the main reasons so many companies have been moving towards IBM for their embedded solutions is because IBM has designed their processors in a modular way so that they can be highly customized. This means that someone who needs a very inexpensive processor (for something like a dryer) can have a very scaled back feature set, while someone who is looking for more performance (HD image processing on a TV) can have an advanced feature set to get the highest performance to price ratio possible.

The Gekko processor was manufactured using a 180nm process while the Broadway processor was manufactured using a 90nm process, and the Gekko processor's die size has twice the area of the Broadway processor where a straight manufacturing process reduction (to 90nm) would produce a die size that was a quarter of the Gekko's processor; this means that the Broadway processor is (approximately) twice the size of the Gekko processor, which implies that the Broadway processor has heavy modifications which (should) make it much more powerful per clock cycle.

We really don't know what these modifications are, and without knowing that it is nearly impossible to determine how they have impacted the performance of the processor. If Nintendo doubled the on chip cache on the Broadway processor it is likely that the number of cache misses could be dramatically reduced and the processor would become far more efficient.