By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii's horsepower explained.

the original Xbox CPU was an Intel Pentium 3,

If you want to compare the cpus correctly, dont forget that the Xbox Cpu was a Pentium 3, true yes but a Pentium 3 Celeron so a lot less powerful than a real Pentium 3.

Zones : I still don't understand all the love for Blizzard, what was the last game they developed worth playing?
Around the Network

Wii gets bad graphics cause developers make Ps2-Wii games cause they want money, then they are too bored to polish graphics on Wii, and results on bad sales!!

and this is why Nintendo games have double quality graphics than most Ps2 games!!

for example, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Monster Hunter Tri 3, Conduit (let's hope so), Overlord Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon has really great graphics on Wii!

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

Alright, so the Ricoh 2A03 is pretty impressive for an 8-bit processor and is probably one of the best of its kind, but that's totally not the point. It's a generation behind compared to the MOS 6510 or the Motorola 68k. How can the NES possibly hope to compete when it's so very outdated compared to the Commodore 64 and Amiga? No developer is going to look at that little gray box and think, "yep, that's the console to go with". It's just ridiculously weak compared to its competitors! This Nintendo "fad" will be over any day now, just watch. All the Amiga and Commodore 64 need is a few more killer apps, and it'll be the end of the NES.

Oh wait, it's 2008, not 1987! Remarkable how hard it is to tell, what with the same arguments being made in a slightly newer context. My bad. Though I seem to have made a bit of a point here, haven't I? Funny, that.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

I don't necessarily agree with the "2 Xbox + 2 PS2 = Wii" formula. I think it's closer to 2-3 GameCubes, or 2-2,5 Xbox's, but that's not the point of this article.

I don't agree with any linear terms. In some areas it is better than the xbox/GC/PS2 by a great amount, and in some areas a less significant one much. A piece of hardware can't be compared to another just by saying it is X times more powerful. Its even worse if you say (X*Y)+(X*A)=B. There you are dealing with 3 different types of hardware, with different advantages and disadvantages. If this was PC gaming it would be easier to use linear terms because most things being compared are very similar in terms of architecture.

Around the Network

I know I'm buying this game day one, even before your excellent post.

So The Conduit uses "The power of teh Broadway" XD XD

The game looks cool, i'm sucker for good FPS, and Metroid Prime sold me in using the Wiimote with first-person games, so for now it's a must buy for me...

IIRC heres some interesting pieces of info about the P3 and Xbox architectures.

1. The Xbox CPU also included a pair of vertex units.
2. The P3 was clock for clock a better architecture than the P4 and was the basis for the highly successful Centrino 1 and Core architectures. *At the time if you put a centrino processor into a desktop system and overclocked the bejesus out of it to hit normal desktop TDPs it whalloped the P4 of the day.*

One thing to consider about graphics between the Wii/Xbox 1.

The Xbox 1 had an incredibly powerful GPU in its day and it was based on the direct 3d standard. AFAIK, the Wii uses something more proprietary and therefore cannot benifit from the advances in the software stack Microsoft has made over the last 5-6 years.

Perhaps there are differences, but they aren't so marked as to pin one as substantially better than the other to the degree that is being implied.

Tease.

OriGin said:
Sounds like a Nintendo fanboy trying to convince PS3 and Xbox 360 fans that Wii is 'tough' like back in the GameCube days.

That!

Also there talking like XBOX and PS2 are still out and the 360/PS3 are not,all i got from that is the Wii CPU is better and RAM is faster.

Haha good article but I think most knew that when Super Mario Galaxy released that Wii could do more than the Xbox and PS2. I mean SMG is beautiful. Of course The Conduit looks great and it's in its final stages for polish which will mean it'll look even better. So we'll just wait on that as well.

I do think a lot of what is said in here is true but an over exaggeration of just how little the increases in power actually mean to output nowadays. However, we will start to see, like all consoles, later in the lifecycle much better looking Wii games. And unfortunately, it'll probably be Nintendo to show us with the next Zelda or Mario title. But that's ok.