By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 starts selling= sony gets cocky again

Legend11 said:
MikeB said:

Just sounds confident and IMO a very likely scenario, much more so than Microsoft's very unlikely future outlook for the 360.

Yeah the future for the 360 is very grim indeed...

http://www.gamedevresearch.com/2008-state-of-game-development-survey.htm

"- Of the surveyed console developers, which represent a notable cross-section of the entire industry, 73% are creating games for Xbox 360, 58% (including some of the same respondents) for the PlayStation 3, and 42% for the Wii - with 15% still creating games for the PlayStation 2. This implies that the greatest amount of Western console developers by sheer numbers are creating games for Microsoft's console - but due to team size differences, this doesn't necessarily imply that more games will appear on the Xbox 360 than other consoles."

um...but following from that article, does this not the show that the Wii at 42% has grimmer outlook than all three?

somehow i can't agree with that

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network

What a jackass. "a tougher road now then even in 2008."

They had one game in 2008 so far, worth a crap, that was exclusive.

Sony needs to get their act together and start delivering on all of these promises, instead of making new ones.

Sounds like an interview with Crazzyman. Is this even real?

Post a link.

Also, good luck on achieving these goals, PS3. If you can actually do it, instead of pretending that you can, then I might be playing your console one day. Forgive me if I have doubts about your boasts. In the recent past, they've proven to be outright lies and spin.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

the guy's right PS3 is gonna kick butt

Initiating social expirement #928719281

jman8 said:
Jesus.... READ THIS:

SCEA’s VP of product marketing Scott Steinberg

Again, VP of product MARKETING.

It's his freakin job to hype up his product. Stop personifying Sony CORPORATION as if it was a living breathing human being like you and me. This is what corporations do. Sony can't be "cocky" b/c Sony isn't a person. Stop paying attention to what the MARKETING guy says and focus on what products (i.e. games and features) that Sony is producing. That's all that really matters. Judge Sony based on that. [/rant]

+1 Insightful

Spankey said:
Legend11 said:
MikeB said:

Just sounds confident and IMO a very likely scenario, much more so than Microsoft's very unlikely future outlook for the 360.

Yeah the future for the 360 is very grim indeed...

http://www.gamedevresearch.com/2008-state-of-game-development-survey.htm

"- Of the surveyed console developers, which represent a notable cross-section of the entire industry, 73% are creating games for Xbox 360, 58% (including some of the same respondents) for the PlayStation 3, and 42% for the Wii - with 15% still creating games for the PlayStation 2. This implies that the greatest amount of Western console developers by sheer numbers are creating games for Microsoft's console - but due to team size differences, this doesn't necessarily imply that more games will appear on the Xbox 360 than other consoles."

um...but following from that article, does this not the show that the Wii at 42% has grimmer outlook than all three?

somehow i can't agree with that

Well that is what the last sentence is talking about...  Wii games on average have smaller team sizes than 360 games but PS3 team sizes on average are likely the same as on 360 or possibly even larger.

Around the Network
Morgyn said:
jman8 said:
Jesus.... READ THIS:

SCEA’s VP of product marketing Scott Steinberg

Again, VP of product MARKETING.

It's his freakin job to hype up his product. Stop personifying Sony CORPORATION as if it was a living breathing human being like you and me. This is what corporations do. Sony can't be "cocky" b/c Sony isn't a person. Stop paying attention to what the MARKETING guy says and focus on what products (i.e. games and features) that Sony is producing. That's all that really matters. Judge Sony based on that. [/rant]

+1 Insightful

There's one very real thing called corporate culture and it tends to permeate employees of corporations. While Sony (or Microsoft, or Dell or whatever) are just trademarked words, the guys making the decisions tend to eventually become affected by the corporate environment up to a certain point it starts to influence their decision-making process. It's similar to the way military forces tend to build certain types of behaviours. There are tons of books written on the subject.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

woopah said:

“In the next few years, you’re going to start to see us separate from the herd. Some of the other platforms are going to look very dated because their life spans are so much shorter than ours. If you’re a competitor I’ve got bad news for you because we’ve got some absolute blockbusters that are in the works, some of them new IP, some of them existing IP, that we’re building specifically for the PS3. From a competitive standpoint our competitors are going to have a tougher road now then even in 2008. But for PlayStation 3 consumers, it means more quality and more choice.” - SCEA’s VP of product marketing Scott Steinberg

what is this guy thinking? he acts like the PS3 is kicking ass when its not.   The only real point hes got is about the PS3s lifetspan being longer but even im not sure that technically the case. i think he truly understimates the competition. Nintendo and microsoft are gunna find things EVEN tougher than 2008? i think microsoft  willl find it easier because of lower price  and nintendo certainly hasnt had a tough road. He even says 'haha unlucky competitors. we, sony , are making new IP and existing IP for the PS3.' thats just saying that they have a 1st party, did he not consider that his competitors could also have 'absolute blockbusters' built specifically for their consoles?

I saw him say that on Gametrailers TV months ago

MMM...... All I got from this was

"We got more games coming. Games that will run only on the PS3 (I would assume so since they are first party...) watch out."

4 ≈ One

Wow, there is some grade-A trolling going on here.

Some of it is very good. Well done! ^_^

Dgc1808 said:
MMM...... All I got from this was

"We got more games coming. Games that will run only on the PS3 (I would assume so since they are first party...) watch out."

That's actually true. The only games that I assume are being referred to are first party.

Considering the 360's current library, imo, they would have to put out quite a ass-ton of first party games to reach that oh so unattainable gamerankings equality.

While I don't subscribe to gamerankings myself, I do believe that the site breeds inferiority compex and false assertions about a ton of games. According to them, Uncharted, and Elite Beat Agents aren't AAA, but Winning Eleven 6 and NCAA Football 2004 are.

That said, I guess the speaker could be talking about future games, and pretending like the past and back library doesn't exist. Even then, however, Sony surely must be putting out quite a lot more first party games than they are in 2008, if they want to be significantly better than what Microsoft probably has planned. Especially since MS can also get its exclusives from 3rd party publishers.

Now, granted, there are a couple of big 3rd party games for the PS3, but those are gonna dry up, and since Sony isn't investing anymore in 3rd parties, we'll have very few games sticking with the console out of the "loyalty > profit" mantra.

In essence, I don't know how Sony is gonna keep up with Microsoft exclusives and exclusive content, since they are no longer paying for 3rd party support, as stated by them. Much less how they are gonna absolutely dominate them, like it says in that interview.

It certainly is possible, but I just don't see the plan. I think it's PR.

Anyway, lets looks at the Sony exclusive lineup for PS3:

SOCOM

LBP

R2

Rachet and Clank Future Untitled sequel

Killzone 2

Heavy Rain

God of War 3

MAG

ICO 3

Team ICO game untitled

WKS

FFVerses13

Now lets looks at the upcoming 360 exclusives lineup(with assumption that these games may/will also appear on PC):

Banjo

Gears 2

Fable 2

Halo Bungie untitled sequel

Halo 4

Halo Wars

Alan Wake

Star Ocean 4

...and Left 4 Dead, we'll chalk up to moneyhatting and Valve being understaffed, or whatever you want.

I think that yes, certainly Sony has a small advantage there.

However, the overall library for those systems is significantly in the favor of the 360 in my, and most people's honest opinions.(at the very least it's a generally accepted myth)

And even though the PS3 has an edge in upcoming releases, doesn't mean we have seen everything from either company.

So, basically, how the hell is the PS3 destroying Microsoft in future games releases? I think that with multiplats, the future libraries are both really, really close, considering that the multiplats make up about 80 or 90 percent of all the games that come out anyway.

If this was World of Warcraft, we would call a transition from 360 to PS3 future libraries a sidegrade. We could call overall libraries a downgrade. In the world, we call it comparing apples and oranges.

The Sony exec basically said, "Oranges are gonna pwn apples even harder in 2009, because we have a lot tastier oranges coming down the line than ever before." except their Oranges used to be sour and mostly sucked until MGSOrange came out. It's cocky and arrogant, and as an apple and orange lover, it offends me.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.