By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy vs. Halo 3 - Which game will sell more units overall?

I think H3 will sell about 5-6million units lifetime and SMB Galaxy about 7 million lifetime - maybe even a little bit more

my reasons:

H3: I think it won't attain the glory of it's old days ,for there are far more good console shooters out or in the making now and Halo is too true to itself with the gameplay having no new wow-effects. Still it will maintain the title of the best-selling console shooter.

SMB Galaxy: Mario has proven to be a major franchise even for casual gamers , who already make up for the most parts of the Wii userbase , but I think nowadays there are more casual titles to chose from ,so the money won't automatically go to a single player Mario game (I believe SSBB will sell better and "steal" some of the customers from Galaxy).

Around the Network

It's got to be Halo. Firstly, look at the marketing Microsoft has put behind the damn thing. Since this is basically the 360's only HUGE game, and Nintendo has many, many games to deal with, there's no way Galaxy is getting the hype that Halo will.

Also, consider the make-up of the Wii's fanbase compared to the 360's. A lot of the Wii userbase will be casual gamers. They won't know how great Galaxy will be. And then look at Microsoft's userbase. They're all FPS nuts with shit loads of money to spend and people that have huge enthusiasm for "hardcore" games. 

The fact is: even if the Wii has a greater install base than the 360 come launch time, pratically every 360 owner is going to buy Halo. The same cannot be said for Galaxy. 

Emmitt2222 said:

Great question and fantastic post.  It was really helpful to look at all of those numbers and factors to determine my choice.

My general feel right now is that Halo has a more predictable pattern of sales than SMG could have.  I think that there is a very large chance that Halo 3 will fall somewhere between 6-10 million.  I think somewhere along the lines of 8-9 million being most realistic.  Factoring in previous sales of the two games, the price of the console and the install base I think that sounds pretty good.  

SMG, on the other hand, is a wildcard in my opion.  It could sell anywhere on the low end of 5mil [although unlikely] following the decline in sales of mario console titles, or it could be an enormous breakout title that could approach 20mil in sales lifetime like The Source seems to think.  I am leaning towards the latter slightly more.  I think a reasonable range would be 8-15 mil, much larger because there is so much more in question.  Halo 3 isn't changing a lot so it's garunteed to basically be the same goodness, but SMG is yet unproven and has a lot changed in terms of environments and such.  It will have a larger install base and could have 3 strong markets as opposed to Halo's one.  My uncertainty of crazy 18 mil numbers lie in the fact that I am really not sure if Japan will buy a console Mario like they have with the DS which is much bigger and more accessable than Wii.  I'm thinking somewhere in the realm of 12 mil as my final guess though. 

I think if SMG really takes off well with the casual market and Ninty gets plenty of consoles out there, the really interesting question will be posed of whether SMG can beat Halo in America?  If this happens in the next year or two I think the writing is on the wall that the Wii will be dominant like PS was of previous generations.

I pretty much agree.

SM64 and SMS sales are a little hard to use as a gauge. SM64 was basically the only title for the system for months, and as the first game to truly exploit 3D was a phenomenon that would be hard to match. SMS, despite very good reviews, never got the buzz of a SM64 and was mostly out at Nintendo's nadir. It was also hampered by the most absurd ad campaign ever. (Note: Any Mario fans who have not played SMS really should give it a shot. It does start off slow and easy, but eventually it does live up to its pedigree). NSMB may be a better gauge as to the actual interest in a Mario title, but there are obviously far fewer Wiis out there than DSs, and NSMB didn't have to compete with Metroid and Smash Bros. I think the floor is SMS-level 5-6 million, and only if the reviews don't match the expectations. The ceiling? SMW sold 20 million at the height of Nintendo's dominance, though the game market was also much smaller then. I think a cap of 18 million sounds about right, but SMG would need a perfect storm to reach those levels.

Given the reviews from E3 and the phenomenon of the Wii, I expect it's sales to be close to the cap than the floor. Say 11-12 million lifetime.

Halo1 I think is the odd Halo out. It had lackluster one player mode, and no online play. It's lifetime sales were likely hurt by the superior Halo2 (which ended up outselling H1), which in online console play was almost as groundbreaking as SM64 was in 3D gaming a generation earlier. Halo3 also has the benefit of being THE BIG GAME for Microsoft this year and will be the sole benficiary of it's marketing department (where SMG is only one of many Nintendo titles). That should give Halo3 numbers at least as good as Halo2. Currently, the 360 is beating XBox sales handily (by 3-4 million in same time frame depending on who's stats you look at) which either means its base is more motivated, or has grown substantially.  It is also going to be used as the killer app to sell the system this holiday,and probably conjoined with a price cut. So I expect it to be a monster hit this holiday, probably bigger than any single Nintendo title. However, long term I expect lower overall sales, simply because I don't expect as many 360 sales as Wii sales, and almost certainly Halo 4 will put a cap in its ass in a couple of years. I'm thinking GTA numbers, 10-13 million when all is said and done.

Shit. That's what I said for SMG, wasn't it? Boy will this be close.

Uma said:
Cobretti said:
i really think this is a hard question to answer.

ckmlb your about 50-50 change of your your saying with mario.

The way I see it is this.

1) People will see it as a true Mario Game to the N64 days and it will sell about the same as the n64 version if not a little better.

2) People will remember mario sunshine like me and go meh no point buying this. I personally didnt buy mario sunshine cause it had no hype to it or was even promoted as a real mario game it sorta come from nowere.

Now i think it is up to Nintendo which option they will make happen. If they hype it like a true masterpiece that is ment to be the next real mario after n64 then it will sell well. Otherwise it wont.

Reggie actually made a remark about SMG being the true succesor to SM64.

As far as the predictions go for Halo3 and SMG, I think both will struggle to even reach the 10 mil mark. If you take a look at the Best-selling games of all time, there have only been 6 games released on the past 2 generations of console, namely: GTA:SA, GT3, GTA:VC, SM64, GTA3 and GT. Maybe you could argue that the Playstation brands didn't really have a kind of mascot game, like Halo or Mario, but will this really be enough to sell way more than the previous entries ? I think theSource makes some good points but still overestimating the potential of both games.

I definitely don't see Halo3 selling more than the installed userbase of the 360 right now, which is: 10 mil, I think around 7,5 mil is doable. As some others have already said, the competition in the FPS genre is very heavy, which should keep Halo3 from having long legs, a year past it's release date I don't expect Halo3 to be anywhere near the Weekly Top 50.

With SMG it really depends on it's legs, anyone care to mention another 3D platformer which could truly challenge Mario on it's own console? I think it will sell around 9-9,5 mil. In comparison when SM64 there were hardly any games on the N64 which could compete as a quality game at all, the N64 was probably the console which relied the most on 1st party games, with the Wii things will defintely be different.

To Cobrretti:
SMS did have hype, but at this time Nintendo sales reps had smoked a few too many pikmin, and thus at release gave us this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=0WPteMFkI2k

IT had solid reviews upon release (http://www.gamestats.com/objects/016/016713//articles.html), but the absurd ad campaign, problems with the Cube's image, and the impossible-to-meet expectations of something as revolutionary as SM64 managed to tarnish it's reputation. While I won't defend the game as a killer app, now that you can get it pretty cheap, and with more realistic expectations, it may be worth a try.

To Uma:

I think the remark about being a "true" successor to SM64 (besides just being smart marketing by calling back to one of the most successful games in history) comes from the fact that this is the first time the potential for innovation exists in a 1P game since the leap from 2D to 3D, namely the use of the controller.

As for lifetime sales, what may help Mario is that Nintendo has only released one Mario game per console since the N64, so it won't be competing with other Mario platformers (though I do hope to be wrong about that).

With Halo 3, the online game is its main selling point, and as soon as Halo 4 comes out, Halo3 will be abandoned and forgotten. Of course that only kills the tail end of the sales, but that might be as much 10% depending on when H4 is released.

Currently, the 360 is beating XBox sales handily (by 3-4 million in same time frame depending on who's stats you look at)

That's simply not true. Mayhaps you reveal who's stats ye be looking upon?

Several things which you may have stumbled upon:
1. The console comparison charts on this site don't include Europe for last gen systems
2. MS overshipped units during Xmas last year, so they actually were ahead in shipped units by a ridiculous sum at one point.

With a later launch in Europe/Japan for XBox, it had shipped 11.21 M units through Sept 2003, while 360 has shipped 11.6 M through June 2007. A barely significant lead. The more important fact in considering sales of Halo 3 is that Halo 2 launched into a 17 million strong install base instead of 11 million.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network
Erik Aston said:
Currently, the 360 is beating XBox sales handily (by 3-4 million in same time frame depending on who's stats you look at)

1. The console comparison charts on this site don't include Europe for last gen systems
2. MS overshipped units during Xmas last year, so they actually were ahead in shipped units by a ridiculous sum at one point.

With a later launch in Europe/Japan for XBox, it had shipped 11.21 M units through Sept 2003, while 360 has shipped 11.6 M through June 2007. A barely significant lead. The more important fact in considering sales of Halo 3 is that Halo 2 launched into a 17 million strong install base instead of 11 million.

Ah. I was using the VG Chartz, so that would be the source of the error. I consider myself pwned.

Erik Aston said:

I agree, I don't see Halo 3 blowing away Halo 2 sales by any huge amount.  Sure it will probably outsell it, but we aren't looking at a game that can outsell Super Mario Galaxy with the kind of momentum the Wii has and the kind of legs that will carry that game.

misterd:

If I'd seen that advertisement, I might have been too ashamed to buy the game. Glad I didn't.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

ckmlb said:
I think you are really overestimating Mario's sales.

Super Mario Galaxy:

Japan- 1,800,000 (Not casual enough to sell more)
USA- 3,500,000 (Will sell very well but not even close to non traditional titles)
Others- 2,000,000 (Will sell well)
Total- 7,300,000

Halo 3:

Japan- 150,000 (Only 360 hardcore and some adopters)
USA- 8,000,000 (Biggest 360 game of the year)
Others- 1,500,000 (Will sell well in the UK and Australia and decent in other parts)
Total- 9,960,000

Hahahahahaha, you really only expect 1.8 million in Japan for mario?  Hahahahahahahahahaha

It'll easily sell over 2 million in Japan alone

Add in NA and Europe and it'll probably outpace Halo 3 overall 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
ckmlb said:
I think you are really overestimating Mario's sales.

Super Mario Galaxy:

Japan- 1,800,000 (Not casual enough to sell more)
USA- 3,500,000 (Will sell very well but not even close to non traditional titles)
Others- 2,000,000 (Will sell well)
Total- 7,300,000

Halo 3:

Japan- 150,000 (Only 360 hardcore and some adopters)
USA- 8,000,000 (Biggest 360 game of the year)
Others- 1,500,000 (Will sell well in the UK and Australia and decent in other parts)
Total- 9,960,000

Hahahahahaha, you really only expect 1.8 million in Japan for mario? Hahahahahahahahahaha

Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine each did less than that (Sunshine considerably so). It's not an outlandish claim, Avinash.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">