By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy vs. Halo 3 - Which game will sell more units overall?

Also, in the US Halo will outsell Mario Galaxy easily, double if not triple its sales.

Wow. That's just a ridiculous assertion. Halo 2 didn't find its way to outselling Mario Sunshine by that kind of margin, and sold less than Mario 64.

Do you mean for 2007 sales alone again? Then your statement makes sense. 360 will still have an install base advantage + 7 or 8 extra weeks of sales + more front-heavy game.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

Super Mario Galaxy. Wife wants one and I am getting it for her...

I do have Halo but never finish it...what is fun in Halos? They are all the same, look, shoot and run and look, shoot, and run!!... Video game developer needs to create something new in order to attract me to buy.

Ugh...there should be some crazy communist way of voting a ban on a person in the case that I'm gone...but then we'd just ban anybody that didn't agree with us hehe.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Then all non Nintendo fans would be banned.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Haha Yeah I agree with ckmlb, that's probably going to be abused. What we do need is an IP ban system though.

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
Ugh...there should be some crazy communist way of voting a ban on a person in the case that I'm gone...but then we'd just ban anybody that didn't agree with us hehe.

You could give some of your more respected members the ability to ban for say 2 hours or something. It does not appear you are using a pre-made forum module that I am aware of, so I would assume you (or whoever) knows the system pretty well.

I have some decent experience with working with forum DB's through php, etc..but I highly doubt you would trust me to even see the code (and I would do the same ). But it should be fairly easy to set up, you can utilize the current ban functions in place and simply store the time of the ban in the DB.  Then when the person comes to utilize the site, the site checks their banned status, if they are banned and on your "time" list you check if their 2 hr time out is up and unban them if it is, or keep them banned if it isn't. You might need to add a new table, but that might be a good thing, you could have a form the "Trusted User" can put some quick info for the reason why the person was 2 hr banned and a link to the offending post/thread, plus the user who issued the ban etc.. Possibly even associate the post directly to the ban so the poor fella doesn't get banned by two trusted users viewing the post a couple hours apart.

Though I suppose it is more of a hack'together setup than anything it would be nice for some of the more active and laid back members to have this sort of ability to keep these trolls in check. Plus with some relatively minor oversight precautions by yourself I doubt they would readily abuse a gesture of trust like that.

To Each Man, Responsibility
ckmlb said:
You guys are really overestimating Mario. Sunshine sold 6 million in its lifetime, we are talking about this year alone.

NSMB is not even the same thing as Mario Galaxy, Mario Galaxy numbers are going to be much closer to TP numbers in Japan than to NSMB numbers.

Zelda: PH will break a million and a half at most, showing again that it is not casual friendly like NSMB.

Are you on crack or something?  You're talking about this years units, and look at your estimation for the Americas, it's at 8 million.  So far they've only sold 6.5 million here in the Americas.   So, not only do they need to sell 1.5 million more, but every single purchaser would need to buy Halo 3.  And considering as was pointed out, even Halo 2 only sold to 33% of X-box users, 100% attach ratio would be impossible without a packin of every system and a free copy to all who wouldn't otherwise buy it.

So, let's say Halo 3 sells to half the 360 owners in this country, to meet that, you'd need 16 million 360s sold in this country alone before the end of the year.  So, do you really think Microsoft is gonna sell 9.5 million more this year?

So, how do you justify saying you're estimating for only this year when what you estimate would be impossible?  (Microsoft only expects to ship 14 million worldwide by end of March 2008, so somehow they need to make 2 million more magically appear).

Plus, apparently you haven't payed attention to this weaker E3, as they've been saying SMG is gonna be a lot more casual friendly, which should help with sales a bunch. 

IP banning people will not do anything, anyone who is not a retard will have their IP changed in less than one minute and be on the site again. And if they allow people to give 2hour bans that is just retarded aswell, anyone who posts anything against the wii or Nintendo will be banned. we all know how this site works.

Plus most of you guys over estimate the ability of mario to sell to anyone but nintendo's hardcore fans. One of the reasons that Mario64/Mario Sunshine sold well was due to the lack of games on the system when these games came out, and mario64 was a pack in game for a long time. I would not expact sales to be on a higher percent than the games on PS2.

PS3owner said:
IP banning people will not do anything, anyone who is not a retard will have their IP changed in less than one minute and be on the site again. And if they allow people to give 2hour bans that is just retarded aswell, anyone who posts anything against the wii or Nintendo will be banned. we all know how this site works.

Plus most of you guys over estimate the ability of mario to sell to anyone but nintendo's hardcore fans. One of the reasons that Mario64/Mario Sunshine sold well was due to the lack of games on the system when these games came out, and mario64 was a pack in game for a long time. I would not expact sales to be on a higher percent than the games on PS2.

On the first paragraph:  I didn't say he should give the ability to everyone.  Just members who have been around a while and proven to be level headed and objective.  And if you read the end of that blurb you would see I suggested several ways of holding those folks accountable for frivilous bannings based on opinion alone.

On the second paragraph: I very much look forward to the release of this game for two reasons now!  The first and obvious is it will be fun, and the second is because I am pretty confident it is going to sell at least 15 million lifetime and we should have a pretty good idea of the game's performance by the end of the fiscal year.

To Each Man, Responsibility

The Source is overrating the performance of both games by quie a bit, but he's got the ratios pretty close. I honestly don't see Galaxy outselling SMB3 even with the power of the Wii craze, but there's almost no way for Halo 3 to reach nearly the same audience. I'd go closer to 10 million for Halo 3 and 15 million for SMG lifetime sales.

You do not have the right to never be offended.