By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy vs. Halo 3 - Which game will sell more units overall?

Before giving my prediction, I would like to lay out the factors:

Release Dates: Halo 3 - Sept 25 (USA)  Mario Galaxy - Nov 12 (USA)

Eur/others & Japan releases: Unknown (likely 2007 for both though)

Wii userbase at Galaxy launch ~ 14-16 million

Xbox 360 userbase at Halo 3 launch ~ 11-13 million

Comparable games:

Halo 2 - Xbox - Total Sales: ~7.89 million roughly 1/3 of all Xbox owners.  Note -  Xbox had shipped ~17 million at Halo 2 launch.  Halo 2 seems to have sold primarily to existing Xbox owners overall..however, sales did pick up in holiday 04' due to the price of Xbox

Super Mario Sunshine - GC  - Total Sales: ~ 5.91 million roughly 27% of all Gamecube owners.  At launch, Gamecube had shipped roughly 6.7 million units.  Mario Sunshine seemed to benefit from the growth of the GC userbase, but was not a sales driver to the extent of Halo 2 given the length of time on the market. 

Halo - Xbox - Total Sales ~ 6.4 million roughly 25% of all Xbox owners.  The game was obviously a killer-app, as it proved Microsoft could get a foothold in gamer's mindshare - at least in the West.

New Super Mario Brothers - Current sales ~ Nintendo DS - 9.89 million - and growing.  For the first time since the SNES, a Nintendo console capable of 3D graphics has sales of over 40 million units.  New Super Mario Brothers was released when the DS had sold around 9 million units.  If DS continues on it's trajectory toward Zeus' throne room, and New Super Mario Brothers maintains an attach ratio in the 20% range, watch out.  Whether or not Galaxy sales will follow the NSMB pattern will be fascinating to watch.

Gears of War - Xbox 360 - Current sales ~ 4.33 million.  Gears and Halo 3 appear to be launching on hardware with the same pricepoint, so I believe the comparison is apt.  Both games are symbols of nex-gen exclusivity on 360 vs. the price point barrier.  Right now, Gears has a ~40% attach ratio, but it is dropping.  Given the 360 will will likely have sales of over 35 million, at worst, Halo 3 should have no trouble besting Gears in sales, if not initial attach ratio.

Super Mario 64 - Nintendo 64 - Total Sales ~ 11.89 million.  Super Mario 64 had the highest attach ratio of any game on any system in the last decade (N64, PS1, Saturn, DC, PS2, Xbox, GC) - over 36% when the N64 stopped selling completely.  If New Super Mario Brothers were to achieve that staus at the end of the DS lifespan, sales would likely be north of 30 million.  Given that Super Mario Galaxy is on a system well recieved in Japan (N64 was not), and that the game may surpass the greatness and innovation of Super Mario 64, this attach ratio is worth watching. 

With all that said, I expect the following:

Super Mario Galaxy - 18 million.  A truly great Mario game, one which appeals to casual and hardcore, has enormous potential.  So far, Wii products are behaving as if they are appreciated by both markets.  Additionally, Nintendo seems hell bent on making Wii the philosophical successor to the NES.  How is this relevant?  Well, back during the NES days, Nintendo was a powerhouse because games had three things - quality new gameplay, accessibility, and unparallelled innovation.  The NES was marketed as more than a game system - in Japan the Famicom could connect to dial up internet, handle taxes, check sports, keep track of stock quotes, etc.  Wii has similar features.  NES had revolutionary styles of play, something no one knew how to copy for years.  Wii seems to be heading the same way.  In that environment, the classic Nintendo IPs opened the door for standards in gaming for years to come, while 3rd parties provided quirky games (anyone remember Double Dare? 1942? RBI Baseball?).  In the years after, Nintendo forgot that despite the quality of it's games, people buy hardware for breadth of software.  For the majority, even in the NES days, most preferred the 'entirety' of 3rd party games, with Nintendo's best in a supporting sales role.  Today, Nintendo once again has significant support from every important 3rd party in the world, forever ridding gamers of having to pick "Nintendo" or "everything else".  With most agreeing that Wii is set to pass SNES numbers worldwide, even a GC-level Mario attach rate would mean sales of over 12.5 million.  However, Wii is selling similarly to New Super Mario Brothers on the DS - meaning a 25% attach rate is possible two years after the game is out.  Overall, I expect the rate to flatten out (permanently) at around 15-20% when all is said and done for Wii hardware sales, falling just short of Super Mario World numbers.

Halo 3 - 12 million.  I expect Halo 3 to have roughly double the Xbox userbase to sell to by the time the generation is over.  However, I see this more as a case of legs, then a case of instant success.  Ultimately, I expect this game to continue in the vein of Goldeneye 007 on the Nintendo 64.  Halo is now a known property as the Bond franchise was, so the credentials are there.  In contrast to the N64 however, Halo 3 will be working from an even weaker base in Japan.  Furthermore, despite comparable sales to the N64's better years, 360 software from 3rd parties will compete for far more attention than the killer apps on the N64 had to compete with during that cycle.  Therefore, despite sales of 6-9 million in the United States over the next few years, sales will actually be limited by other great games, and initially, the 360 price.  Still, I expect this to be Microsoft's highest selling game in the 360 lifespan, with an attach ratio in the 25%-33% range.

By region, I expect final sales to be like this:

Super Mario Galaxy              Halo 3

Japan:             3,000,000                         250,000

Americas:        9,000,000                         8,500,000

Others:            6,000,000                        3,250,000

What do you think will sell better? and why?

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

I think you are really overestimating Mario's sales.

Super Mario Galaxy:

Japan- 1,800,000 (Not casual enough to sell more)
USA- 3,500,000 (Will sell very well but not even close to non traditional titles)
Others- 2,000,000 (Will sell well)
Total- 7,300,000

Halo 3:

Japan- 150,000 (Only 360 hardcore and some adopters)
USA- 8,000,000 (Biggest 360 game of the year)
Others- 1,500,000 (Will sell well in the UK and Australia and decent in other parts)
Total- 9,960,000

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

You are way underestimating SMG sales. I'd say it easily has the same appeal as NSMB did. I give it 10 million easy. I also think you are overestimating Halo 3 American sales by 1 million units or so.

NSMB sold 4.75 million in Japan. I expect at least 4.5 million out of Japan, 3.5 out of America (your number) and 2 million out of Europe, ending at 10 million.

Halo 3, I see all your numbers minus 1 million in America. resting at about 9 million. Both games will be huge successes.

ckmlb said:
I think you are really overestimating Mario's sales.

Super Mario Galaxy:

Japan- 1,800,000 (Not casual enough to sell more)
USA- 3,500,000 (Will sell very well but not even close to non traditional titles)
Others- 2,000,000 (Will sell well)
Total- 7,300,000

Halo 3:

Japan- 150,000 (Only 360 hardcore and some adopters)
USA- 8,000,000 (Biggest 360 game of the year)
Others- 1,500,000 (Will sell well in the UK and Australia and decent in other parts)
Total- 9,960,000

If Sunshine can sell roughly 6 million, then a Mario game that's actually good and paired with a great install base can easily top 10 million. I agree that 18 million sounds high, at least as a mid-level estimate.

I think I am somewhere in the middle. Also starting to think that Halo3 will NOT sell anywhere near the number of units Halo 2 did - thanks to the PS3 and general shooter competition (it didn't have much competition in terms of a SciFi shooter - last gen).

Galaxy:

Japan - 4m (lifetime)
USA - 6m
Europe - 4m

Total: 14m

Halo 3:

Japan - 100k

USA - 7m

Europe - 3m 

Total: 10.1m

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

I think it will be close, with mario galaxy winning. 

Halo 3 about 9 million (7+ america, 1.5+ EU, about 200k on japan)

SMG : 4 america, 3 eu, 3 jap.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Halo3 will win in my mind, i also think it will be one of the fastest selling games in History, the only way mario will win is long term, and i mean very long term(2years +) If Nintendo can't even meet supply this year for systems, they will also lose to the 360 this christmas.

PS3owner said:
Halo3 will win in my mind,

OK, but how about in the real world?

...Sorry to take the obvious shot.  

Well I am asking overall.

It seems pretty obvious that Galaxy is going to have a larger userbase worldwide to sell to by the end of 2007.  Overcoming a year-long head start implies Nintendo is shipping a lot of units doesn't it?

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Darn, I was planning on posting this myself, but the Source has backed it up with great numbers and much more thought that I had intended. Great job.
I totally agree that SMG will outsell Halo3, mainly because Wii is attracting a lot of casual and non-gamers who know little to nothing of the current popular games, but they all know Mario. The game looks unlike anything seen before and if it's actually good, will sell very, very well. I look at the numbers for Mario Party 8, a weak entry in a tired franchise that's selling very well on the Wii for similar reasons.
As for Halo 3, it suffers from some Halo fatique (it's basically the same as the last two, just better) and much increased competition in it's field (which adds to the fatique). Factor in a smaller initial base, and much higher price point for the system than Halo 2 had. I expect it's sales to fall in-between Halo 1 and 2's.