By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Good Evening, Mr. Bond. Will it be the Wii or the 360? (GoldenEye 64)

http://news.gotgame.com/good-evening-mr-bond-will-it-be-the-wii-or-the-360/

Good Evening, Mr. Bond. Will it be the Wii or the 360?

It’s been circulating the rumor mill for over 2 years now: Goldeneye 64 will be coming to XBox Live Arcade. And why shouldn’t it? Considering Rare (the developers of the original Nintendo 64 title) has been a first-party developer for Microsoft since September ‘02, it seemed an obvious inevitability. While this has yet to be seen though, it does spark the question, “What about the Virtual Console? Goldeneye 64 is a Nintendo game!“

I may risk a verbal arse-kicking by saying this, but in all sincerity: Screw the Virtual Console! I hope Mr. Bond enjoys his new home on XBLA! My apologies to all you Nintendo fanboys; that statement probably hurt your feelings, possibly stirring up some rage with a side of angst. Please, feel free to take your Wiimote to chuck and virtually strangle me. There, feel better?

Don’t get me wrong; I love Nintendo. I have a Wii that’s seen its fair share of game time, just as my PS3 or my XBox 360. And aside from the obvious Nintendo franchise favorites (such as Mario, Zelda, Metroid), there is a decent selection of great party games. Boom Blox, Mario Party 8, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and even the console pack-in title Wii Sports, just to name a few. But when I consider the more hardcore nature of multiplayer first-person shooter frag-fests, Nintendo stands out front like the fat kid in a dodge ball game–it doesn’t. Instead, I think XBox 360. 

Having embraced online gaming early on, Microsoft ‘s XBox Live has demonstrated to me its acceptance of the online gaming community. Granted it may not be free, but the matchmaking services, friends lists, in-game voice-chat, and many other customizable features are worth it. Nintendo, on the other hand, has always demonstrated reluctance to show support for online gaming. At one point, Nintendo’s own president and CEO Saturo Iwata even went so far as to say that “users don’t want online games.” When I first heard that, I couldn’t help but shake my head for Nintendo and mutter quietly, “Oh no, Nintendo. You got dumb.”

Well, partially dumb. Nintendo has slowly been changing their tune. While the library of online games for the Wii is small, titles are appearing in the Wii’s library that support online gameplay, such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii. Great! Finally, signs that Nintendo is catching up with everyone else! And with the upcoming Wii Speak, we’ll finally see voice-chat brought to the console. Good, because that whole thing in SSBB with four selectable programmable phrases? Lame.

Regardless of all this, however, it’s not up to Rare as to which system it goes to. Though they were the developers of the original title, Activision Blizzard holds Bond’s license to kill now. Any further IPs, including re-releases, are all up to them. (Evidently, Microsoft already has a Live version of Goldeneye 64 waiting to go. But again, due to licensing issues, its release has been stifled.)

While my opinion may irritate some of you Nintendo fanboys, consider the experience you’d want vs. console loyalty. Like I said, I like my Nintendo Wii, but I just don’t see it as the choice platform for one of my favorite old-school first-person shooters. When I play Goldeneye 64, I want it to be reminiscent of the days when friends and I sat scrunched on an old couch around a TV, yelling jocular insults back and forth and having a blast doing it. Until that day though, perhaps Rare can help ease the waiting by re-releasing a certain other title that was quite similar to Goldeneye 64? You know, Perfect Dark? Take a hint, Rare.

Around the Network

I though it was the movie publisher that holds his licenses....

I enjoyed shooting Natalya in the face.

That level where you have to protect her while she types r...e...a...l...l...y slowly was infuriating.

Women eh?

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

colonelstubbs said:

That level where you have to protect her while she types r...e...a...l...l...y slowly was infuriating.

Women eh?

lolll i have never played golderneye

^ Never played Goldeneye? Noooooooooooooooooo!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network
colonelstubbs said:
^ Never played Goldeneye? Noooooooooooooooooo!

Well we should put him out of his suffering...

Former something....

*Ignores the article for being completely unprofessional.

Using phrases such as "Fuck Nintendo!" does nothing to help your credibility.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Where does he say "**** Nintendo"?

Goldeneye 64 is stuck in limbo, probably forever.

Too many companies have their hands in the mix and none of them are going to want to let go. While it's nice enough to think of a scenario where profits would be shared as it gets released on WiiWare and XBLA, that's just too optimistic. It'll never actually fly.

colonelstubbs said:

Fixed.

Never did get past that level.