By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony, where are my JRPGs?

http://www.aeropause.com/2008/08/sony-where-are-my-jrpgs/

Sony, where are my JRPGs?

By Mike Koss | August 2, 2008

So I received my latest issue of EGM in the mail yesterday, and for those that do not have a subscription this month’s theme is Japanese video games, developers and culture. They even devoted a two-page spread to three upcoming JRPGs, which all happen to be released by Square Enix. Oh, and they all happen to be released for the Xbox360. The three titles discussed are Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, and Star Ocean: The Last Hope. Now luckily one of these will be coming to the PS3 as well: The Last Remnant.

This got me thinking: Sony, where are my JRPGs?

My, albeit shallow, PS3 library consists solely of FPSs, a certain Tactial Espionage Action game and a couple of downloaded strategy games. One of the things that I loved about my Playstation and PS2 was the plethora of JRPGs at my disposal. For the PSOne, I own FF7, FF9, Legend of Legia, Legend of Mana, Parasite Eve and Parasite Eve 2 (the last two being a hybrid RPG/action but thrown in for good measure). I played through others including FF8 and Legend of Dragoon (anyone else see a re-occuring theme here?). Rounding out the list of owned games includes others that were updated/re-released on the PSone: FF4, FF5, FF6, Chrono Trigger, and Lunar: Silver Start Story Complete. For the PS2, I have a similar selection including classics like FFX and FFXII.

Now this list is not meant to be anywhere near exhaustive. In fact I won’t hesitate to admit that when I owned my PSOne and PS2, I was a little strapped for cash. Not everyone’s college parties are paid for by their parents. But, as we’re nearing the the cusp of the third year for this console the waterfall of games for the previous generations is a mere trickle, if not a drought. A quick perusal of the known games that have been released or being developed reveals: Dark Cloud 3, Cross Edge, Enchanted Arms, Eternal Sonata, Mist of Chaos, Record of Agarest War, Tears to Tiara: Kakan no Daichi, and White Knight Chronicles. By my count that makes eight games. Eight games in total compared to the atleast three that I previously mentioned for the Xbox360. Now some of these games for the PS3 are not even available here state-side, as is usual with Japanese releases. So that dwindles the list down to five in total for the PS3. For a console that is manufactured by a Japanese company, that has had higher sales in Japan than Xbox360 since almost day one, and had a lineage almost formed on this content, I can not help but re-iterate: Sony, where are my JRPGs?

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

Answer:  They're on 360

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

The JRPGs are on the 360. It is foolish to buy a console expecting a specific type of support from third party developers. Sony cannot force development of games on their platform outside of studios they own. It is better to get the system that has the games you want rather than try and complain enough to get the games you want on the system you have.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

RolStoppable said:
Doesn't the author of this article know that JRPGs go for the most part to the best selling system?

Well, duh.  I have been noticing the trend.  But the Wii is the bestselling console this gen yet the only JRPG that is considered to be high profile is a sequel to ToS.  Where as the 360 will have Star Ocean 4, Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragonand Infinite Undiscovery as high profile JRPGs.  The only high profile JRPG exclusives coming to the PS3 are Dark Cloud 3, Final Fantasy Versus XIII and White Knight Chronicles.

This didn't mention Final Fantasy XIII and The Last Remnant because they are multiplatform ot timed-exclusive

Did I hear Dark Cloud 3? holy shit! yeah!

Then again, yeah, I hope the PS3 gets more JRPG's... lets hope Star Ocean 4 comes through, don't care about Infinite Undiscovery.

Around the Network
Xen said:
Did I hear Dark Cloud 3? holy shit! yeah!

Then again, yeah, I hope the PS3 gets more JRPG's... lets hope Star Ocean 4 comes through, don't care about Infinite Undiscovery.

Star Ocean 4 will be ported to the PS3 eventually and S-E are even considering porting IU to the PS3 despite Microsoft owning the IP

The PS3 came out a year later than the 360. JRPG's always take along time to release on consoles. You can't expect the PS3 to already have more JRPG's than the 360. Anyway, you will definetly have Eternal Sonata, Disgaea 3 and Valkyria Chronicles by the end of the year. After TGS you might be able to add one or two more to that list.

Most of the notable Enix JRPG's are going to be split down the middle between Sony and 360, but timed exclusives on the 360. You mistaken this gen for last gen, where Sony have a over a 60% market share and all of the third party JRPG developers wanted to make games for them.

RolStoppable said:
Doesn't the author of this article know that JRPGs go for the most part to the best selling system?

im not sure he does

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

...Disgaea 3 and Valkyrie Chronicles sounds good, but yea not for me.
Last Renmant...?
Eternal Sonata is really only good jprg im gonna get...And disgaea 3.And ofc Final Fantasys...
But yea,where are these LEGENDARY jprg which made sonys consoles best on market...
Well...We shall see next year.

Take my love, take my land..