By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony, where are my JRPGs?

flagship said:
On every other system out there, even the Wii has a better RPG lineup at the moment.

I think you got the Wii mixed up with the DS.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
flagship said:
On every other system out there, even the Wii has a better RPG lineup at the moment.

Flagship is correct which is just a testament to how far Sony has fallen. Sony has almost no presence within the genre at all. Internationally they have Enchanted Arms a game that was ported from the 360. With less then two hundred thousand sales, and poorly reviewed. Within Japan they also have Valkyrie chronicles which has also yet to sell more then two hundred thousand copies. Compare that to Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, and a few other titles the Wii has. You will notice just how big the difference is. The PS3 really is dead last.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
flagship said:

Just look at my post and you could see that while the PS3 does have Final Fantasy XII, Versus and WHite Knight Chronicles,Eternal Sonata, THe last renment(four of these non exclusive)that is about it. Then look at the Wii's rpgs. This isn't counting Srpgs.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=995918

Most of those get above average ratings.

Working Designs is dead.

Due to a series of delays, approval snags, and sagging sales, Working Designs announced on December 12th, 2005 that the all existing staff had been laid off and the company was effectively kaput. Speculation on the reasons for why include the company's perceived inability or unwillingness to release games for non-Sony platforms since Magic Knight Rayearth for the Sega Saturn.

In a public statement posted on the message board hosted at Working Designs' official site, WD President Victor Ireland, though expressing much gratitude for strong core fan support over the years, stated that a series of complications related to the approval of upcoming games for the PlayStation 2 had created a loss of revenue from which the company would not be able to recover. Ireland however went on to express optimism that a possible publishing deal may occur in the future with the support of remaining WD staff, likely for Microsoft's latest platform, the Xbox 360. The statement ended by encouraging fans to contact Microsoft among other firms about their desire to see more titles like those which Working Designs had built its reputation on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Designs

They were my favorite video game company when they supported Sega, but they left to make games on Playstation. Just like Square left Nintendo.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
frybread said:

Answer:  They're on 360

QFT!!!

Also, Microsoft has an incentive, for every developers that cancels or delays PS3 games, they get a big cash bonus, gets a game published and funded by Microsoft, and get to keep their own IP.

Around the Network
jake_the_fake1 said:
frybread said:

Answer:  They're on 360

QFT!!!

Also, Microsoft has an incentive, for every developers that cancels or delays PS3 games, they get a big cash bonus, gets a game published and funded by Microsoft, and get to keep their own IP.

Oh dear me.. Sarcasm. The truth is doomed for all we know.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Hawkeye said:
They ones PS3 might have gotten seem to be on the 360. In the fuutre I think the lions share will go to Wii, since it is the leading console WW.

Nintendo isn't focusing on core gamers right now. They are quite happy with their casual fans, where the bulk of their money is coming from. It seems as of late that core gamers and 3rd party titles come second, so you're going to have to wait on that dream. 

Since when has Nintendo ever made JRPGs for their home console? Nintendo hardly specializes in the genre and I don't think it is a matter of what they focus on, its a matter of whether third parties make JRPGs for them - especially Square Enix.

Also, having released Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros, Metroid Prime, Zelda, Super Paper Mario, Fire Emblem and in Japan Warioland so far this generation I don't think you can actually claim they aren't focusing on their core gamers. Perhaps they are not focusing exclusively on them (unlike MS and Sony) but they certainly are not ignoring them.

Dodece said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
flagship said:

Flagship is correct which is just a testament to how far Sony has fallen. Sony has almost no presence within the genre at all. Internationally they have Enchanted Arms a game that was ported from the 360. With less then two hundred thousand sales, and poorly reviewed. Within Japan they also have Valkyrie chronicles which has also yet to sell more then two hundred thousand copies. Compare that to Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, and a few other titles the Wii has. You will notice just how big the difference is. The PS3 really is dead last.

Stop being absurd.

Title
Plat
Company
Reviews
Avg.
Vote
Avg
Score
1. Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon WII Square Enix 14 -- 79.357%
2. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance WII Activision 36 8.1 74.153%
3. Opoona WII Koei 21 -- 67.635%
4. Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors WII Square Enix 40 8.1 65.805%
5. Baroque WII Atlus Co. 11 -- 53.182%
6. Alien Syndrome WII Sega 29 8.4 51.328%
Title
Plat
Company
Reviews
Avg.
Vote
Avg
Score
1. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion PS3 Bethesda Softworks 56 7.8 93.054%
2. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Game of the Year Edition PS3 2K Games 4 10.0 89.000%
3. Valkyria Chronicles PS3 Sega 1 -- 88.000%
4. The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles PS3 Bethesda Softworks 2 -- 82.500%
5. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance PS3 Activision 38 7.3 78.750%
6. Enchanted Arms PS3 Ubisoft 22 6.5 66.682%
7. Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom PS3 Sony Online Entertainment 47 5.4 58.706%

So the Wii has 1 decent dungeon crawler, which is now surpassed by Valkryia Chronicles. If you argue that's SRPG, ok, Folklore is around 75%. Fire Emblem isn't much better.

There is no argument for there being a "big" difference as you claim. Get real. The future is uncertain but right now looks better for PS3 than Wii. sc34322 keeps listing upcoming games in the genre, but most of them are more unproven than the PS3 ones (including likely ports like Star Ocean 4 and the already upcoming Eternal Sonata which will be the first true JRPG on either system).

@windbane Folklore is an Action-Adventure. As for the future Wii rpgs. Oh and looking at the average FFF:CD is more above average than decent. Valkyria Chronicles also only has 1 review, so I don't think that is an accurate representation.

FFCC,Monster Hunter, Tales of (2 titles btw), Rune Factory, and Oboro Muramasa Youtouden are all proving series. They and the rest of the games are also from proven developers. So I don't see your point.

They are on 360 and DS