By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony, where are my JRPGs?

Riachu said:
windbane said:
sc94597 said:
windbane said:
sc94597 said:
@windbane Folklore is an Action-Adventure. As for the future Wii rpgs. Oh and looking at the average FFF:CD is more above average than decent.

FFCC,Monster Hunter, Tales of (2 titles btw), Rune Factory, and Oboro Muramasa Youtouden are all proving series. They and the rest of the games are also from proven developers. So I don't see your point.

I'm glad I'm not so picky on what genre a game is, or what country it comes from. If you talk games that people consider "RPG," the advantage is clear. Chocobo's dungeon isn't a "JRPG" either, considering most of those feature plots.

As of now, it's a wash.

Monster Hunter was a hit...on a handheld. Another RPG that didn't translate to console? Pokemon.

Rune Factory is a DS game. No one is arguing that system lacks RPGs.

Oboro Muramasa Youtouden has a decent track record with Odin Sphere and GrimGrimoire, both around 80%.

Regardless, those are all future titles, so we'll see how they end up. As someone that has both consoles, I don't expect high profile RPGs going to Wii.

If an RPG has to have a story or a good one then I guess anything pre-snes isn't any rpg.

As for monster hunter, I heard that the PS2 games are great aswell so we know that MH3 could be good, and seeing as the series started on home consoles unlike pokemon it has a good chance.

Rune Factory Fronteir is coming to the wii.

What is your defition of "High Profile"?

Edit: Also we have been seeing a steady rise in Wii Jrpg support while we have been seeing a decline in that of the PS3 Jrpg support. I expect big Jrpgs from sony though.

A lot of RPGs had stories before SNES...huh? What RPG do you know of doesn't have a story? We clearly have different views on what we are discussing, heh.

High profile to me means pushing a combination of visuals, sound, story, gameplay, and eveyrthing else associated with videogames. The Wii has no innate advantage for RPGs, so I'd rather them not even be there.

I'll still play games such as My Life as a King and others, though, but that one is because I'm a sucker for FF. At least it's an interesting concept (if not exactly an RPG to get off-topic).

I thought 'high profile' meant that the game has a decent amount of hype i.e. Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy XIII, Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean The Last Hope

Yeah, and they get that hype from looking good and doing other things right.  There's a reason FF games are so popular.

Around the Network

Actually they will be on the wii even more than the 360. The 360 is selling too poorly in Japan for a large numbers of JRPGs. They are on the 360 now only because of two things... a year head start, and Microsoft paid for many of them to be. Market pressure will bring most to the wii in the long run.

Sony asks... where are the customers in Japan buying the PS3... they have under 25% of the market this generation, and so that will tell you where the JRPGs are.

sc94597 said:
@Windbane If you have ever played the first 3 final fantasies you would know that the story is pretty much nonexistent or they are all the same story(Find the crystals).

I don't know how sound, story, or gameplay couldn't be done on the wii. As for graphics, obviously. For turn based rpgs there isn't much other than graphics that the HD consoles could add. For Action Rpgs then the wiimote could be utilized pretty well.

The first 3 FFs aren't the only RPGs.  I know western RPGs had some story.  Didn't Phantasy Star have a decent story?  And it came out before FF1 if I recall.

Still, back then saving the world and having interaction with the townfolk was a decent story.

Show me a modern JRPG that doesn't have some focus on a story, though.  I guess you could say Chocobo's Dungeon, heh...

They're on the 360 and the Wii.

Girl Gamer Elite said:

There are no JRPGs on the Wii.  Come on.

Around the Network
windbane said:
sc94597 said:
@Windbane If you have ever played the first 3 final fantasies you would know that the story is pretty much nonexistent or they are all the same story(Find the crystals).

I don't know how sound, story, or gameplay couldn't be done on the wii. As for graphics, obviously. For turn based rpgs there isn't much other than graphics that the HD consoles could add. For Action Rpgs then the wiimote could be utilized pretty well.

The first 3 FFs aren't the only RPGs. I know western RPGs had some story. Didn't Phantasy Star have a decent story? And it came out before FF1 if I recall.

Still, back then saving the world and having interaction with the townfolk was a decent story.

Show me a modern JRPG that doesn't have some focus on a story, though. I guess you could say Chocobo's Dungeon, heh...

Back in 1987 or 88 or whatever,  FFI's story was considered to be complex.  Now it is considered to be barebones.

Riachu said:
windbane said:
sc94597 said:

The first 3 FFs aren't the only RPGs. I know western RPGs had some story. Didn't Phantasy Star have a decent story? And it came out before FF1 if I recall.

Show me a modern JRPG that doesn't have some focus on a story, though. I guess you could say Chocobo's Dungeon, heh...

Back in 1987 or 88 or whatever, FFI's story was considered to be complex. Now it is considered to be barebones.

Yeah, it's barebones now.  I actually did beat FF1 last year.  I still need to play FF2-6, 9, and 12.

windbane said:
sc94597 said:

The first 3 FFs aren't the only RPGs.  I know western RPGs had some story.  Didn't Phantasy Star have a decent story?  And it came out before FF1 if I recall.

Show me a modern JRPG that doesn't have some focus on a story, though.  I guess you could say Chocobo's Dungeon, heh...

Monster Hunter doesn't focus on story, pokemon is another example. My point is that a game could still be considered a Jrpgs without a story, or a bad story. Many sites including square enix list the game as an Action RPG or an RPG/Dungeon Crawler.

sc94597 said:
windbane said:
sc94597 said:

Monster Hunter doesn't focus on story, pokemon is another example. My point is that a game could still be considered a Jrpgs without a story, or a bad story. Many sites including square enix list the game as an Action RPG or an RPG/Dungeon Crawler.

Games in general need a story.  It doesn't have complex, deep, or hell, even good.  Story just need to be in a game.  More story-driven games need a good story to be great though

windbane said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:

There are no JRPGs on the Wii.  Come on.

According to the DB on vgchartz...

Wii has 20 RPGs, X360 as 23, and PS3 has 14.  Now that is RPG, not just JRPG.  Many of those are stretching it to be called an RPG, but...  within 2-3 years the wii will eclipse the 360 and PS3 combined.

With the 360 having under 7% of the market in Japan, you are just being silly if you think that is where JRPGs will be going...  WRPGs may get a significant amount, but not JRPGs.