By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony, where are my JRPGs?

Riachu said:
sc94597 said:
windbane said:
sc94597 said:
@Windbane If you have ever played the first 3 final fantasies you would know that the story is pretty much nonexistent or they are all the same story(Find the crystals).

I don't know how sound, story, or gameplay couldn't be done on the wii. As for graphics, obviously. For turn based rpgs there isn't much other than graphics that the HD consoles could add. For Action Rpgs then the wiimote could be utilized pretty well.

The first 3 FFs aren't the only RPGs. I know western RPGs had some story. Didn't Phantasy Star have a decent story? And it came out before FF1 if I recall.

Still, back then saving the world and having interaction with the townfolk was a decent story.

Show me a modern JRPG that doesn't have some focus on a story, though. I guess you could say Chocobo's Dungeon, heh...

Monster Hunter doesn't focus on story, pokemon is another example. My point is that a game could still be considered a Jrpgs without a story, or a bad story. Many sites including square enix list the game as an Action RPG or an RPG/Dungeon Crawler.

Games in general need a story.  It doesn't have complex, deep, or hell, even good.  Story just need to be in a game.  More story-driven games need a good story to be great though

And of course chocobo dungeon does have a story.Just not a good one. Well I haven't played the game so the story could be good, but I'm not expecting that.

From Wikipedia

While searching for the fabeled Timeless Power gem to power his Airship, Cid and his partner Chocobo ended up being sucked into a vortex and end up in the quaint town of Lostime within the island of Memoria, which dissapeared from the rest of the world fifty years ago. In the center of Lostime is a clock tower which rings the Bell of Oblivion that makes everyone lose their memories. [12][10][9]. Along with his new friend Shirma and a mysterious boy named Raffaello who is able to create a labyrinth of memories, Chocobo has to recover the lost memories of Lostime's residents and end the calamity that began the trouble.

Around the Network
jlauro said:
windbane said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
They're on the 360 and the Wii.

There are no JRPGs on the Wii. Come on.

According to the DB on vgchartz...

Wii has 20 RPGs, X360 as 23, and PS3 has 14. Now that is RPG, not just JRPG. Many of those are stretching it to be called an RPG, but... within 2-3 years the wii will eclipse the 360 and PS3 combined.

With the 360 having under 7% of the market in Japan, you are just being silly if you think that is where JRPGs will be going... WRPGs may get a significant amount, but not JRPGs.

none of the systems will be clear cut winners in terms of the amount of JRPGs.  I think the Wii JRPGs will sell better in Japan while the HD system JRPGs will sell better in the West

Riachu said:
jlauro said:
windbane said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:

Wii has 20 RPGs, X360 as 23, and PS3 has 14. Now that is RPG, not just JRPG. Many of those are stretching it to be called an RPG, but... within 2-3 years the wii will eclipse the 360 and PS3 combined.

With the 360 having under 7% of the market in Japan, you are just being silly if you think that is where JRPGs will be going... WRPGs may get a significant amount, but not JRPGs.

none of the systems will be clear cut winners in terms of the amount of JRPGs.  I think the Wii JRPGs will sell better in Japan while the HD system JRPGs will sell better in the West

Maybe the multiplats but I don't think exclusives will.

jlauro said:
windbane said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:

I already posted a comparison of every PS3 and Wii game that gamerankings.com deems "RPG," and the clear advantage is the PS3 over the Wii.  I don't think you an argue against that right now...

sc94597 said:
Riachu said:
jlauro said:
windbane said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:

none of the systems will be clear cut winners in terms of the amount of JRPGs. I think the Wii JRPGs will sell better in Japan while the HD system JRPGs will sell better in the West

Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4 most likely will sell better in the West, even if they are exclusive to the 360.

Around the Network
Riachu said:
sc94597 said:
Riachu said:
jlauro said:
windbane said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:

none of the systems will be clear cut winners in terms of the amount of JRPGs. I think the Wii JRPGs will sell better in Japan while the HD system JRPGs will sell better in the West

Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4 most likely will sell better in the West, even if they are exclusive to the 360.

Nvm I read your psot wrong. I thought you said that the HD console Jrpgs will sell better than the Wii ones in the west. I agree that they will sell better in the west than Japan.

windbane said:
Dodece said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
flagship said:
On every other system out there, even the Wii has a better RPG lineup at the moment.

I think you got the Wii mixed up with the DS.

Flagship is correct which is just a testament to how far Sony has fallen. Sony has almost no presence within the genre at all. Internationally they have Enchanted Arms a game that was ported from the 360. With less then two hundred thousand sales, and poorly reviewed. Within Japan they also have Valkyrie chronicles which has also yet to sell more then two hundred thousand copies. Compare that to Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, and a few other titles the Wii has. You will notice just how big the difference is. The PS3 really is dead last.

Stop being absurd.

Title
Plat
Company
Reviews
Avg.
Vote
Avg
Score
1. Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon WII Square Enix 14 -- 79.357%
2. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance WII Activision 36 8.1 74.153%
3. Opoona WII Koei 21 -- 67.635%
4. Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors WII Square Enix 40 8.1 65.805%
5. Baroque WII Atlus Co. 11 -- 53.182%
6. Alien Syndrome WII Sega 29 8.4 51.328%
Title
Plat
Company
Reviews
Avg.
Vote
Avg
Score
1. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion PS3 Bethesda Softworks 56 7.8 93.054%
2. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Game of the Year Edition PS3 2K Games 4 10.0 89.000%
3. Valkyria Chronicles PS3 Sega 1 -- 88.000%
4. The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles PS3 Bethesda Softworks 2 -- 82.500%
5. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance PS3 Activision 38 7.3 78.750%
6. Enchanted Arms PS3 Ubisoft 22 6.5 66.682%
7. Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom PS3 Sony Online Entertainment 47 5.4 58.706%

So the Wii has 1 decent dungeon crawler, which is now surpassed by Valkryia Chronicles. If you argue that's SRPG, ok, Folklore is around 75%. Fire Emblem isn't much better.

There is no argument for there being a "big" difference as you claim. Get real. The future is uncertain but right now looks better for PS3 than Wii. sc34322 keeps listing upcoming games in the genre, but most of them are more unproven than the PS3 ones (including likely ports like Star Ocean 4 and the already upcoming Eternal Sonata which will be the first true JRPG on either system).

That was so stupid you hurt my head. You need to learn some reading comprehension. Your list making skills are idiotic and irrelevant. The topic is JRPGs do you understand what those are? Do you understand why Oblivion and Marvel are not relevant to this discussion? Thats right they are not JRPGs. Even more absurd is the fact that you relist Oblivion 3 times to fluff the list. One last question did you actually think that this bullshit would fly?

The PS3 only has one title internationally, and two within Japan. You created a list to try and hide that fact. Then you try to tell us that ratings for games determine who is ahead. Excuse me when did this become a standard. The answer is the rating does not matter what matters is the volume. The only thing your list proves besides your deceitfulness is that the Wii does have more JRPGs then the PS3.

windbane said:
jlauro said:

I already posted a comparison of every PS3 and Wii game that gamerankings.com deems "RPG," and the clear advantage is the PS3 over the Wii.  I don't think you an argue against that right now...

I was arguing more about the future (2-3 years) and not about the games right now...  It takes years for a good game, and so what is currently released has more to do with the expectation of PS3 having the largest market share.  Given the wii's growing market share, it will get the majority  (but not all) of JRPs in the future.  All systems will get good games though, it's just that in the long run, the wii will get the most.