By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony, where are my JRPGs?

Riachu said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Hawkeye said:
They ones PS3 might have gotten seem to be on the 360. In the fuutre I think the lions share will go to Wii, since it is the leading console WW.

Nintendo isn't focusing on core gamers right now. They are quite happy with their casual fans, where the bulk of their money is coming from. It seems as of late that core gamers and 3rd party titles come second, so you're going to have to wait on that dream.

That is exactly why we don't have tons and tons of RPGs on Wii.  This is the first gen that the leading RPG console wasn't the best selling console of the gen.

I'm glad that you understand the Nintendo concept, but the Sony concept...well....Sony is no better than Microsoft as far as business practices. You must remember that they are both companies who came from other markets to dominate this one. Final Fantasy was the top selling game besides the Grand theft auto series on the PS2. They just need a company with a system who will work with them. Microsoft and Sony are both equally happy to do that. The difference between Microsoft and Sony is...Microsoft wont treat developers like crap as soon as they gain mass market share, which is the main reason they lost a couple major games. Microsoft is scared to death to make a mistake in a new market because of the fact that they cannot monopolize it that easily like they did their home market. Microsoft is a dangerous company....never give it time to figure you out. Sadly....Sony made that mistake.  

Around the Network
Riachu said:
RolStoppable said:
Doesn't the author of this article know that JRPGs go for the most part to the best selling system?

Well, duh.  I have been noticing the trend.  But the Wii is the bestselling console this gen yet the only JRPG that is considered to be high profile is a sequel to ToS.  Where as the 360 will have Star Ocean 4, Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragonand Infinite Undiscovery as high profile JRPGs.  The only high profile JRPG exclusives coming to the PS3 are Dark Cloud 3, Final Fantasy Versus XIII and White Knight Chronicles.

This didn't mention Final Fantasy XIII and The Last Remnant because they are multiplatform ot timed-exclusive

What's your definition of "High Profile"? I would consider FFCC:TCB, and Fragile high profile. Not to mention the main tales series will be going to the Wii after the DS gets Tales of Hearts. There are also first party offerings like Fire Emblem, and probably will be more of them considering how many First party Jrpgs were on the ds.  I'm sure we will see more. Also are High Profile rpgs the only ones? I'm pretty sure I enjoyed many of Low Budget(Assuming that is what you meant by "High Profile) Jrpgs in my life. You guys are wrong in the matter that the Wii isn't leading now  in Jrpgs because Nintendo only focuses on the casual(which is wrong btw). The 360 has been on the market for a year longer than the Wii and PS3. Not to mention everybody thought the Wii would fail before launch, and it takes many years to develop an rpg. The 360 isn't even in the Lead by much, and that could easily change for any console.

Been asking that question for a while now...

I'm just saying...

sc94597 said:
Riachu said:
RolStoppable said:
Doesn't the author of this article know that JRPGs go for the most part to the best selling system?

Well, duh. I have been noticing the trend. But the Wii is the bestselling console this gen yet the only JRPG that is considered to be high profile is a sequel to ToS. Where as the 360 will have Star Ocean 4, Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragonand Infinite Undiscovery as high profile JRPGs. The only high profile JRPG exclusives coming to the PS3 are Dark Cloud 3, Final Fantasy Versus XIII and White Knight Chronicles.

This didn't mention Final Fantasy XIII and The Last Remnant because they are multiplatform ot timed-exclusive

What's your definition of "High Profile"? I would consider FFCC:TCB, and Fragile high profile. Not to mention the main tales series will be going to the Wii after the DS gets Tales of Hearts. There are also first party offerings like Fire Emblem, and probably will be more of them considering how many First party Jrpgs were on the ds. I'm sure we will see more. Also are High Profile rpgs the only ones? I'm pretty sure I enjoyed many of Low Budget(Assuming that is what you meant by "High Profile) Jrpgs in my life. You guys are wrong in the matter that the Wii isn't leading now in Jrpgs because Nintendo only focuses on the casual(which is wrong btw). The 360 has been on the market for a year longer than the Wii and PS3. Not to mention everybody thought the Wii would fail before launch, and it takes many years to develop an rpg. The 360 isn't even in the Lead by much, and that could easily change for any console.

I know what RPGs or games in general are high profile but I still don't know what makes a game high profile

I believe Atlus has a whole bunch of games coming out only on the 360.
I think I saw it on the IGN game list.

Around the Network

@Riachu Well then instead of using High Profile how about we use High Quality.

Arc Rise Fantasia
Fragile
Rune Factory Frontier(The ds game got Above Average reviews, and I enjoyed it)
Monster Hunter 3
Final Fantasy Fables:Chocobo's Dunegoen(Yes a spin-off but of quality looking at its 80% gamerankings average, same as lost Odyssey btw)
FFCC:TCB
Oburo Muramasa Youtouden
ToS:Dawn of the New World
The Next Main series tales
and many unshown projects, but announced all seem to be of high quality.

sc94597 said:

Arc Rise Fantasia
Fragile
Monster Hunter 3
Final Fantasy Fables:Chocobo's Dunegoen(Yes a spin-off but of quality looking at its 80% gamerankings average, same as lost Odyssey btw)
Oburo Muramasa Youtouden

360 has quite a few seeminly high quality JRPGs(including the three from SE)

Riachu said:
sc94597 said:

Arc Rise Fantasia
Fragile
Monster Hunter 3
Oburo Muramasa Youtouden

360 has quite a few seeminly high quality JRPGs(including the three from SE)

Of course, but I'm saying that anything could change. Right now the 360 has more high quality Jrpgs, but it isn't killing the compeition in this area, and it could change very easily. I think this generation won't have any true winner, but I am expecting the Wii to have more than the competiion. Not by much though. Hopefully the Wii follows the DS' path in this area.(:

On every other system out there, even the Wii has a better RPG lineup at the moment.

The Playstation 3 has little focus on the library, and a lot of focus on the hardware. Adopting the old Field of Dreams philosophy if you build it they will come. What they built however was overpriced, over engineered, and finally gutted. Almost no thought was given as to why third parties should stay loyal. Sony really took the developers for granted, and Microsoft made them pay for that. That is the answer to the question.

With regards to often cited well it will be ported to the PS3 later. That sword cuts both ways unless Sony is producing a role playing game its equally likely to be ported to the 360 at a later date. Which also does not address the issue of Mistwalker which was backed financially by Microsoft. Which will be a perpetual tie breaker if nothing else. The PS3 is never going to see a Mistwalker role playing game. The PS3 is never going to see Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Cry On, or the other three Mistwalker projects currently in production.

Personally I just take exclusivity as fact until stated otherwise. You cannot build a fair analysis on hope and a prayer. That is the worst kind of spin doctoring. Just say what is at the moment, and work with that.