By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sega doesn't like the Wii...

Is it unthinkable that the graphics of Wii's games may themselves improve in two years as well?

Around the Network
Gballzack said:

360 and PS3 have really made outside of polishing the last gen's 3D capabilities is HD. Graphically this is the smallest leap forward of any generation, and while yes, the Wii's graphics are far behind the competition, its an issue of aesthetics, if graphics really matter to you that much, then play on a PC, don't try and sell me your bullshit on the console market.

Disagree. For me graphics is main factor (provides more realistic gameplay).  Stuff like eye-toy or guitars didn't make PS2 a next gen system. For some games Wii control system is great (golf etc.) but it's also far less universal than gamepad. Regards playing on a PC... two factors - price of high-end machine and selection of games... no, no. Nintendo didn't provide Revolution... it's only Wii. 

kber81 said:
Gballzack said:

360 and PS3 have really made outside of polishing the last gen's 3D capabilities is HD. Graphically this is the smallest leap forward of any generation, and while yes, the Wii's graphics are far behind the competition, its an issue of aesthetics, if graphics really matter to you that much, then play on a PC, don't try and sell me your bullshit on the console market.

Disagree. For me graphics is main factor (provides more realistic gameplay).  Stuff like eye-toy or guitars didn't make PS2 a next gen system. For some games Wii control system is great (golf etc.) but it's also far less universal than gamepad. Regards playing on a PC... two factors - price of high-end machine and selection of games... no, no. Nintendo didn't provide Revolution... it's only Wii. 

If you're going to say you dissagree with an alleged fact by bolding it ("smallest leap") then perhaps your reply should at least adress that contested issue, i.e. how this gen was in fact not the smallest leap forward, instead of humoring us with your own personal philosophy of gaming. Don't get me wrong, I respect your philosophy and respectfully disagree with it, but a little consistancy in the logical progression of your post would be nice.

Gballzack said:
ckmlb said:

1. Oh really? Made up shit you say? Would you like to offer some substance to that claim or don't you have the courage to do anything more than spout baseless allegations and in doing so making shit up?

2. And by Questioning you mean a free ticket for Bashing/naysaying, the very same act when done to Sony warrants a tongue lashing, how convenient is that. Tell me can I use this argument next time you or someone else tries to scold me for bashing Sony? I can just say, you're being sheep if you don't question Sony? And if this is really the case why didn't you just say this in the first place instead of taking that long detour of rhetoric and attacking me?

3. The only person not reading is you. Time and time again you dodge my points and try and supplement a compensatory argument in place of the one I was actually adressing. Don't try and simply turn this around on me without even single cited example to support your flaming.

4. Book load? Sorry but good logic and reasoning can't be sumized in just one sloppy scentence as you've been attempting to do for every response. Is it that hard for you to read all the stuff I type? Is that why you've been grossly misinterpretting my claims and ignore the bulk of my points, the text is too long to read? LOL!!! So are you just skimming the argument then assuming my stance after the fact? You also claim you've pointed out my flawed logic yet all I see is you dodging my questions and shoving these baseless allegations at me. Perhaps you would like to offer some substance to your claims.

5. It takes more than owning all systems and liking a few games for each to be unbiased. Only a child would think such credentials without context are satisfactory. You're also dodging the issue altogether again. How come you never post positive news about Nintendo or negative news about Sony? Here's a Link to a news item that you conveniently avoided posting then attacked as a thread after it was posted, and you want us to believe this thread of yours was purely for News purposes? How come you never responded directly to me pointing out that there were only three well known exclusive franchises coming out for the PS3 anytime soon when you had claimed it was the sole reason you knew all of the PS3's games would be a sure thing?

6. I'm an aethiest actually. :) There's no need to get back at Sony, they're already paying the price. And to be honest, the PS2 and PS1 weren't sins against the consumer outside of quality control, they helped show Nintendo the way for david to beat goliath. The PS3 is a sin without redemption though, its a sin against the casual gamer and the company behind it, Sony, we have known for a long time is an unethical and foul company. Funny how you avoid responding directly to any claims of Sony's terrible track record by simply just accusing me of having a vendetta, lol.

Look at what you've been reduced to, making outlandish claims with no substance or evidence in the slightest. Putting words in the other person's mouth. Backtracking your arguments. Continuing to dodge points and change the issues. Have you no shame? Have you no self respect? You're even to the point of accusing me of writing too much, lol! How does it feel to be a troll?

I don't want to read through this and come up with another series of answers cause it's proven pointless.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

robjoh said:
ale666 said:
robjoh said:

First I would like to make a clarification: I have in severel threads asked why graphics will be so important within 2 years so that Wii will look dated, when it already looks dated TODAY! Now please ckmlb can you please answer that question? I mean it looks like you have that belif.

cklmb

seems like that you didn't want to answer my question above or you missed it, mayby you could do answer it next time you post?

I don't get the question... Wii graphics don't look as good as PS3 and 360 graphics. So what is the question here?

Around the Network
Gballzack said:

Is the Wii what gamers want? Let the sales speak for themselves.

Is the PS3 what gamers want? Let the sales speak for themselves.

Is the 360 what gamers want? Let the sales speak for themselves. 

Yes, completely ignore the price tags. Also the Wii is selling mostly to the same gamers that bought the gamecube, the new people buying the Wii are non-gamers or the 'casual' gamers that Nintendo is trying to get to buy it.

Also, sales doesn't always mean quality, do I need to point out to how well low quality stuff have sold in all fields of human endeavor? Think Spiderman 3 as the latest example. 

robjoh said:
naznatips said:

Now Blue3 or ckmlb, can you explain why graphics will mean so much within 2 years from now when Wii already now is way behind everything PS3 and xbox360 has shown so far.

I didn't say graphics alone are going to make that difference. But it will make a difference because the gap is only going to grow as we go. In two years, the Wii is going to look a lot worse for someone looking for games because the gap will be bigger and the price of 360 and PS3 will be lower. 

None of this will matter to the casual players buying Wiis now. The question is how long will casual gamers flock to buy Wiis before  the control and motion stuff gets old and how many games do casual gamers buy a year compared to gamers?  

ckmlb said:
robjoh said:
naznatips said:

Now Blue3 or ckmlb, can you explain why graphics will mean so much within 2 years from now when Wii already now is way behind everything PS3 and xbox360 has shown so far.

I didn't say graphics alone are going to make that difference. But it will make a difference because the gap is only going to grow as we go. In two years, the Wii is going to look a lot worse for someone looking for games because the gap will be bigger and the price of 360 and PS3 will be lower.

None of this will matter to the casual players buying Wiis now. The question is how long will casual gamers flock to buy Wiis before the control and motion stuff gets old and how many games do casual gamers buy a year compared to gamers?

The gap probably won't grow much, Ck. I'd say some, as the PS3/360 probably have more untapped potential than the Wii does, but there really hasn't been a game that's clearly maxed out the Wii yet, either.

Gears of War and Resistance already look profoundly better than anything that is currently on the Wii, and yet the Wii is still slaughtering both systems in sales per week. Why would this change noticably later on? 

As for casual gamers, I agree the future is uncertain. What I can tell you is that I recieve more questions about the Wii now than I did in February/March, which is to say that demand is probably higher at this point than it was then. I can almost garauntee you that the system will be supply constricted at least through 2007 continuously, with no price drop (if the system were to slow down, it would be some time between now and August, and it clearly isn't happening. We're nowhere close to normalization). Also, the DS is fueled by the same types of people, and is still steamrolling ahead. 

In short, I do agree that there are differences between the Wii and the other home consoles in terms of target audience and design philosophy. However, there is no evidence in history, ever, that a system that sells this well for its first year suddenly stops selling well. It's just never happened. I think people who are expecting any sort of Wii collapse are just wishful thinkers: people who do not like the direction the Wii is heading, and do not wish the rest of gaming to head in that direction too. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

ckmlb said:

Yes the price for the PS3 and xbox360 will go down, and the only chance for the Wii not to get price drops during this time is if it makes a DS and is constantly sold out. I mean if the PS3 gets 100 USD price drop before each christmas period, in 2009 it will still cost 400 USD. If the Wii gets one 100 USD price drop and it will be down at 150 USD.

I also don't think the difference between Gears and Wii Play or Sport can get that much wider whatever xbox360 or PS3 does.

ckmlb said:

None of this will matter to the casual players buying Wiis now. The question is how long will casual gamers flock to buy Wiis before  the control and motion stuff gets old and how many games do casual gamers buy a year compared to gamers?  

Why should the wiimote become old, when the controll pad hasn't sofar? I mean this is the same thing everybody said about the DS.

Looking at the DS in Japan we are at an attach ratio of 4, so 1-2 games a year shouldn't be impossible. BUT that doesn't mean that the Wii will stop selling does it? I mean the Brain series/NSMB/Pokemon seems to fuel the DS with out any problem, and this is my point, if the Wii can sell 30 million consols untill the end of 2008 the pure mass of consumers will most possible be able to drive the software sales. I would also like to point out that since the DS launched the level of software sales to hit the top 10 in japan has gone up, so yes it seems that the casual crowd is buying games. The thing is this Wii doesn't need an extream attach ratio if they sell much much more than PS3 and xbox360. During the slow summer months Wii is clearly selling more than PS3 + xbox360 combined in hardware. Nintendo is planing to ship 14 million Wiis this fiscal year which might give Nintendo close to 20 million Wii owners WW in march 2008, that should be enough to drive software sales.

I can agree on that the Wii might slow down in sales, but it wont be because of lack of graphics because it isn't graphics that sell a Wii today, no where is that more clear than in Japan. If the gameplay the pure fun of playing together or alone goes down then I can see that the Wii might stop selling BUT so far people seems to have fun with a game that have graphics that could be made on a PS1.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

ckmlb said:
Gballzack said:

Is the Wii what gamers want? Let the sales speak for themselves.

Is the PS3 what gamers want? Let the sales speak for themselves.

Is the 360 what gamers want? Let the sales speak for themselves. 

1. Yes, completely ignore the price tags. Also the Wii is selling mostly to the same gamers that bought the gamecube, the new people buying the Wii are non-gamers or the 'casual' gamers that Nintendo is trying to get to buy it.

2. Also, sales doesn't always mean quality, do I need to point out to how well low quality stuff have sold in all fields of human endeavor? Think Spiderman 3 as the latest example. 

1. The price tag was something the Company took into consideration long before the console launched and therin not something that can be excluded as a component of the console's intended or absolute appeal. They made the decision to make it what it was. And if people aren't buying it because of the price, that's just another reason the console isn't desireable to the consumer. If you make the best console in the world and then no one buys it, it obviously wasn't the best console in the world. This is naive course of logic regardless as by your argument the Gamecube should have sold better than the PS2 and Xbox.

Face it, arguing price tags as an excuse is just justification after the fact. The consumer decides which console is what they want. Please for the love of god don't tell me you're actually going to try and argue against sales numbers on an issue solely dependent on sales numbers as the one and only objective measure.

2. No, but they they do show what the consumer  wants. And since Nintendo has Sony and MS beat hands down on quality control in every aspect of the console's longevity and reliability... You're making a moot point to begin with. Please don't tell me you're going to try and argue that Sony builds more reliable console hardware than Nintendo now... Sigh... 

Also, the quality of Spiderman 3 is debatable, at best conjecture, not a fact that can be used to prove or support any point as it is a unique incident whose correlary to or comparison of anything else in the gaming world is arguable at best.. It's also somewhat of a poor example irregardless as we're not talking about the perception of "quality" in products, we're talking about consumer appeal hence forth, what the consumer wants.

ckmlb said:

Are we certain the Wii's graphics won't improve just as you claim the PS3 and 360's will? If the gap doesn't matter to the majority of gamers now, why will it ever? Does the gap between the DS and PSP matter to gamers?

ckmlb said:

Who says the motion controller will get old? Did the DS get old? If its just a fad (which people also called the DS), why did the PS3 try and capitalize on it with their own cheap knock off? If its just a fad, why did you buy one? If its just a fad, why are concerned about its impact on the gaming market?

Do you have any statistics on how many games a year "casual gamers" buy vs "gamers"? No, you don't, so what makes you think bringing this up proves anything? The use of two such subjectively defined categories is pretty asinine in itself to begin with much ales to take it another step further by pretending there is any possibility of measuring such artificial, after the fact, distinctions. In the end, essentially anyone who sides with the Wii is marked as a "casual gamer" and any one who sides with the PS3 or 360 is deemd a true "gamer", it's just elitist bullshit.
Your argument is simply just you trying to force what you wish would happen as what is 'obviously' going to happen with no factual or anecdotal reasoning to support it. All the facts and past trends in gaming disagree with your predictions, all you have is your hopes.