By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sega doesn't like the Wii...

This is very strange considering they are making the Sonic-Mario olympics game and others but here is Sega's American marketing VP:

'I am a little concerned about the creative depth of the Wii pool. I'm not sure if they will top out in 2008 or 2007. The Wii will start to look really dated in a couple years when developers get more value from the 360 and learn more and more about the Playstation 3.'

'But how much value can developers and creative folks get out of this wrist motion two years from now, or 5 years from now, or 10 years from now? How can they design products that aren't too derivative of what's already out there?'

http://kotaku.com/gaming/oh-sega/sega-doubts-wii-hitches-skirt-for-ps3-269094.php

I think they are legitimate concerns but way too blunt for a company making games on the Wii... 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

I think it says a lot that he thinks you need better graphics to be creative, that's plain lazy, it's far too easy to chuck out the same old crap but with improved graphics. The Wii actually forces them to think more creatively because they know they can't just improve the grpahics.

Usually just improving graphics doesn't sell well if it's not a good game (Sonic is an exception cause of the old fan base still buying the crappy sonic games)

He's entitled to his opinion...but that's not very smart from a VP of a dying videogame developer. Sega should be kissing the feet of Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft if they want to live, not bashing them.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Yes, they are legitimate concerns. But the analog control system has been around for over a decade, and hasn't become 'dated.'  Developers have much more to explore with motion control, and it's apparent from games like Wario Ware: Smooth Moves that it's not all just about "this wrist motion."  While WW may not be the shining example of motion-controlled excellence that will prove the capabilities of the Wii, it certainly showcases many interesting ways that the Wiimote can act. And it's fun to play.

But as always, there will be developers that create sub-par games that don't do much to advance the format (or gaming... or human intelligence...).  Gamers know all too well the pain of a playing a game that has hard-to-manage controls. It's already come to light that some developers simply haven't grasped the formula for integrating motion control into a game. Hell, some still aren't getting the whole 'analog' thing right.

But this one man's opinion doesn't represent the consensus view of Sega's staff. Hopefully, Sega's working on a new Sonic game, one that isn't too derivative and one that finally gets a grasp on that whole 'analog' thing. *Oso sorry. I'm still disappointed with the 360/PS3 Sonic flop.*

R9 5950x - RTX 3090 - Odyssey G9

Around the Network

That is not an official statement from Sega, that is the opinion of an employee of Sega America, so I don´t understand the title of the thread.

Newsflash: Wii already looks dated!

I can't understand this thing about Within some years now xbox360 and PS3 titles will look so much better so Wii will look dated. I mean isn't Gears miles a head of any Wii game already now?

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Ryuhei said:

That is not an official statement from Sega, that is the opinion of an employee of Sega America, so I don´t understand the title of the thread.

VP of marketing talking officially in an interview... how do you not understand the title of the thread? He's not exactly some random dude at sega and company heads don't say stuff randomly...

The dude read my mind.

And how creative do you all think you can get with motion controls ? its rather limited.

I can see more creativity in motion control than two rotating joysticks...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )