By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sega doesn't like the Wii...

I'm a bit sceptical of the motion control as well. I think what he means is that while moving your hand to do something that you once did by pressing a button may seem cool now... what happens when you've done it in three or four games. Does it seem so cool then? I'm also not sure about driving games on the wii. Sure tilting the controller seems cool, but i've done it on the ps3 as well and it's not long before you think, this is a bit pointless. I suppose in the end the best experience comes with a controller specially designed for that particular game, otherwise you make compromises wether you are using a wii-mote or a traditional controller.

Yes

Around the Network
Blue3 said:
The dude read my mind.

And how creative do you all think you can get with motion controls ? its rather limited.

About as creative as you can get with only pressing buttons over the last generations, besides it's not like the wiimote doesn't have those either.

Oh, and just a funny side note, the control scheme was created so that developers would actually get more creative.

BenKenobi88 said:
I can see more creativity in motion control than two rotating joysticks...

you move it and thats about it.

unless you think you will have to make same crazy complex long movements to do something basic, creative maybe but people will hate it.  So at the end of day the games will come down to the same basic motions, up down side to side for the sake of simplicity.

Blue3 said:
BenKenobi88 said:

unless you think you will have to make same crazy complex long movements to do something basic, creative maybe but people will hate it.  So at the end of day the games will come down to the same basic motions, up down side to side for the sake of simplicity.

Hmmm, you mean like press the button A to pick up something. Wii=flick the wiimote up. I don't see much of a difference besides the wii version being slightly more interactive.

For more complex actions, wii movement+button pressing. Similar to controls where you would just press more buttons except the wii version might feel better i.e. aiming with wiimote and pressing a button to shoot.

With motion sensors and good hardware the Wii would have sold like 200million :D. The hardware worries me too but casual gamers dont care about such things. But when you are developer you dont want to be limited. Every company thought "Ok then its nexgen now and we can do stuff we could do lastgen". Expecting much stronger hardware and then comes the Wii and they have to think differently. Now they have to think much more about the controls then the physics.graphics and AI. They should not whine really games sell very well on the Wii. I guess that they wanted to do port games to Wii without sacrificing to much of the content on the games.

Around the Network
Blue3 said:
BenKenobi88 said:

unless you think you will have to make same crazy complex long movements to do something basic, creative maybe but people will hate it. So at the end of day the games will come down to the same basic motions, up down side to side for the sake of simplicity.

It's more than up,down,left, and right.  Basically, any direction you want, diagonal, slightly diagonal, whatever.  Hold it like a baseball bat and it moves right along with you...you can't do that with joysticks.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

What about two rotating analogue joysticks and motion sensing? ;)

So he is saying that the controller is going to get stale? That there are just so many ways you can utilize the motion sensitive controllers? Well he is right. The duel analog sticks are even more limited in their applications and it never hurt the PS2. I assume this decade old technology is not going to hurt the PS3 or the Xbox. How bout the mouse and keyboard? The PS2 is upwards into almost 10 years old itself and noone is complaining about its graphics. Who is this guy? No wonder Sega ran itself into the ground. Sega is the company that spends years developing systems, selling them to consumers, and then not supporting them. This guy is talking about creativity being limited on the Wii. I think that it doesn't take a whole lot of creativity to make yet another Sonic game. Developers need to stop thinking that they are artists and make games that are fun.

bordello said:

What about two rotating analogue joysticks and motion sensing? ;)

haha

This is from Sega's American Marketing VP which isn't unexpected ...

For the past 15 years maketing in videogames has been primarily centered around getting people interested in your game by producing a screenshot that looks slightly better than the competition. You can't blame them being that there was tons of Hype for Genji: Days of the Blade before the release of the PS3 because it looked good.

Much like most people in marketing, I expect that he believes that interest in his product is produced by his actions; thus he doesn't know how you can maintain interest in the Wii and Wii games without being able to post pretty screenshots. I really don't think he understands gamers; this could be why Sega is now a very tiny player in a industry they helped create.

Edit: Why is it that after every NPD release the number of anti Wii posts increases dramatically?