By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Quantity of games per year and per system with exclusives as well (according to Wikipedia)

Which was your favorite time period for gaming ?

5th generation (1993 - 2000) 9 25.71%

6th generation (2000 - 2006) 9 25.71%

7th generation (2006 - 2013) 7 20.00%

8th generation (2013 - 2020) 5 14.29%

9th generation (2020 - now) 5 14.29%

Total:35
LegitHyperbole said:

It was right at the scource lol. PLaystation lists 9,991 games.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/pages/browse

So, perhaps those extra few hundred are delisted games or games only available in certain regions. 

This is not legit, since this list is full of remaster, remakes, collections, and double listings one for ps4 and one for ps5, for example I put filter only for PS5, and since ps4 game like loco roco remastered is available on PS4 it showed me that too.

We need better source with exact info on every platform, with digital and physical. Not just some thrown numbers like that.

Tober said:

Possibly Indy Games are not counted by Wiki, when these are self published which is not uncommon in the digital age. Or perhaps it's only what Circana (NPD) calls 'Premium Games'.

I have no proof of this, but my gutfeel would expect an explosion of all kind of indies from 2014 onwards.

It's possible just after that 2014, the drop was bigger, but with the indees the number got up to 650/640. If someone wants to look over the wikipedia list of the games and look out for indie games, or digital only, you are welcome.

Last edited by XtremeBG - 5 days ago

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart / Quantity of Games

Around the Network
XtremeBG said:
LegitHyperbole said:

It was right at the scource lol. PLaystation lists 9,991 games.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/pages/browse

So, perhaps those extra few hundred are delisted games or games only available in certain regions. 

This is not legit, since this list is full of remaster, remakes, collections, and double listings one for ps4 and one for ps5, for example I put filter only for PS5, and since ps4 game like loco roco remastered is available on PS4 it showed me that too.

We need better source with exact info on every platform, with digital and physical. Not just some thrown numbers like that.

Tober said:

Possibly Indy Games are not counted by Wiki, when these are self published which is not uncommon in the digital age. Or perhaps it's only what Circana (NPD) calls 'Premium Games'.

I have no proof of this, but my gutfeel would expect an explosion of all kind of indies from 2014 onwards.

It's possible just after that 2014, the drop was bigger, but with the indees the number got up to 650/640. If someone wants to look over the wikipedia list of the games and look out for indie games, or digital only, you are welcome.

It's by far the most accurate yet. If you look you can see ps5 games account for 3,500 and since there is such overlap the the number must be closer to the 9,991 than closer to the 3,800 on wiki, like much, much closer but there's the other issue in that different regions have different numbers of games, this 9991 figure is PSN only in America so I'm inclined to believe the 10,886 number from the Moby games site but that's gut feeling. Like we established at the start of the thread this is an impossible task to get truly accurate cuase of the digital stores and shear quanity plus overlap, I think getting rough figures is better than going through all 9,991 games listed and figuring out what's what and we can most definitely say for PS4 that the wiki figures are drastically low as with Switch which is closer to 15k it seems. 

My suggestion is use the store numbers from PS4 onwards and hope for the best with ps3, 360 and wii + wii U. Can't have been much digital stuff on those at any rate that'd make much of a difference. 

I dunno how you'd even get close to being accurate on yearly released games but all sense would point to that graph curving up pretty steeply after 2014/2015 ish.

Last edited by LegitHyperbole - 5 days ago

LegitHyperbole said:

It's by far the most accurate yet. If you look you can see ps5 games account for 3,500 and since there is such overlap the the number must be closer to the 9,991 than closer to the 3,800 on wiki, like much, much closer but there's the other issue in that different regions have different numbers of games, this 9991 figure is PSN only in America so I'm inclined to believe the 10,886 number from the Moby games site but that's gut feeling. Like we established at the start of the thread this is an impossible task to get truly accurate cuase of the digital stores and shear quanity plus overlap, I think getting rough figures is better than going through all 9,991 games listed and figuring out what's what and we can most definitely say for PS4 that the wiki figures are drastically low as with Switch which is closer to 15k it seems. 

Okay, but I can't still take some number out of the air and put it there. I need raw exact data, and not only on 1 or 2 platforms, but If I will change something from the wikipedia data, I need all. If we can't find all, then it's that.

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart / Quantity of Games

XtremeBG said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Okay, but I can't still take some number out of the air and put it there. I need raw exact data, and not only on 1 or 2 platforms, but If I will change something from the wikipedia data, I need all. If we can't find all, then it's that.

Take the numbers directly of the stores that are still live in the USA. Ps5 is sorted as is Switch, someone posted the numbers above. Forget overlap between ps4 and ps5 and region exclusive games. Forget ps3, 360, wii and wii U, the numbers aren't correct but they can't be that far off cuase it was before the indie bloat and mobile port boom. 

As for yearly numbers. Good lord I've no idea how to tackle that one fairly.

Around the Network
LegitHyperbole said:

Take the numbers directly of the stores that are still live in the USA. Ps5 is sorted as is Switch, someone posted the numbers above. Forget overlap between ps4 and ps5 and region exclusive games. Forget ps3, 360, wii and wii U, the numbers aren't correct but they can't be that far off cuase it was before the indie bloat and mobile port boom. 

Everything will be from one source only. Either everything will be exact on point, or it won't be. It's not only 360 ps3 wii, there is XBOX platforms too, there is PC, there is PS4. It's too many, to just take 2 of them from the stores, where the numbers is off for sure, because of delisted games for example, or ovelapping and collections. And then leaving the other ones just as that, when they can be a lot off too. If wikipedia is not accurate, for the new generation, it won't be fully accurate for the old as well. However all the data is presented there, for all the consoles and years. I can't find another source from which to take it. Also the numbers may be off however the % difference per year and console, I think is on point, I feel like the same for the years after 7th gen, at least for the big games they became less and less with every year. The exclusives too. So I don't know what 10 000 games you talk about, but the big games we have each year, are way less than 6th 7th and 8th gen years for sure. I personally am more inclined to believe the wikipedia data, not from exact numbers but from ratio and difference between consoles and games per year. The only ongoing console I feel is strong about software and number of games, and it is comparable to 7th and 8th gen is the Switch. And this is the reason, the number of games didn't drop more per year, than it is according to wikipedia. Switch hold the things afloat, compensating for the lack of games on the 9th gen, and PC included, on the PC I feel like the same, the games were just a lot more back in the previous generations. The big 3rd party games in general are far less and rare now compare to before.

XtremeBG said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Everything will be from one source only. Either everything will be exact on point, or it won't be. It's not only 360 ps3 wii, there is XBOX platforms too, there is PC, there is PS4. It's too many, to just take 2 of them from the stores, where the numbers is off for sure, because of delisted games for example, or ovelapping and collections. And then leaving the other ones just as that, when they can be a lot off too. If wikipedia is not accurate, for the new generation, it won't be fully accurate for the old as well. However all the data is presented there, for all the consoles and years. I can't find another source from which to take it.

Well they're most certainly off as they are. That is no reflection of the last ten years to put in a graph, it makes it look like the industry is shrinking when infact it's growing massively via digital stores. The yearly data suggests stagnation which isn't true. 15k Games on switch alon, all three digital stores would cause damn near a cliff wall on the graph with how high the numbers would be when the graph gets to 2017 and onwards. 

LegitHyperbole said:

Well they're most certainly off as they are. That is no reflection of the last ten years to put in a graph, it makes it look like the industry is shrinking when infact it's growing massively via digital stores. The yearly data suggests stagnation which isn't true. 15k Games on switch alon, all three digital stores would cause damn near a cliff wall on the graph with how high the numbers would be when the graph gets to 2017 and onwards. 

It's better than nothing. I don't have full data for everything from one source, to be able to take it and put it.

I also added more in my previous post, go check. For me it's stagnation yes. There were plenty of games to play back in the previous gens, now the big games you can count on fists of your hands. So for me its not so true to believe it. Of course there maybe more mini games or indees but the big games for sure are less than before. And it's logical, big games took 5-6-7 years to develop nowadays, before it was only 1-2 years, in rare cases goes up to 3 years. If I can't take the data for everything from one legit source, my source remains wikipedia. The stores aren't an option since there isn't store for everything, and the amount of delisted games for the previous gens is big. And if we talk about digital stores there is PC too, how you can measure that ? it's impossible. One store does not tell the whole story.

Maybe wikipedia does not too, but at least is one source for everything, and I don't have better one than that.

XtremeBG said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Everything will be from one source only. Either everything will be exact on point, or it won't be. It's not only 360 ps3 wii, there is XBOX platforms too, there is PC, there is PS4. It's too many, to just take 2 of them from the stores, where the numbers is off for sure, because of delisted games for example, or ovelapping and collections. And then leaving the other ones just as that, when they can be a lot off too. If wikipedia is not accurate, for the new generation, it won't be fully accurate for the old as well. However all the data is presented there, for all the consoles and years. I can't find another source from which to take it. Also the numbers may be off however the % difference per year and console, I think is on point, I feel like the same for the years after 7th gen, at least for the big games they became less and less with every year. The exclusives too. So I don't know what 10 000 games you talk about, but the big games we have each year, are way less than 6th 7th and 8th gen years for sure. I personally am more inclined to believe the wikipedia data, not from exact numbers but from ratio and difference between consoles and games per year. The only ongoing console I feel is strong about software and number of games, and it is comparable to 7th and 8th gen is the Switch. And this is the reason, the number of games didn't drop more per year, than it is according to wikipedia. Switch hold the things afloat, compensating for the lack of games on the 9th gen, and PC included, on the PC I feel like the same, the games were just a lot more back in the previous generations. The big 3rd party games in general are far less and rare now compare to before.

Yeah, but you count all games or what's the point and there is obviously waaasy more games than 5th, 6th and 7th gen. Regardless I understand but it is a pity to leave it so wildly inaccurate to the state of gaming today. Like I said in the beginning this is an impossible task. 😔 

LegitHyperbole said:

Yeah, but you count all games or what's the point and there is obviously waaasy more games than 5th, 6th and 7th gen. Regardless I understand but it is a pity to leave it so wildly inaccurate to the state of gaming today. Like I said in the beginning this is an impossible task. 😔 

See the post I just wrote. Give me legit source for everything with 7th gen included, and I will edit it. I don't want to do half work from wikipedia half from some digital stores, that even aren't there for every system after that but only chosen ones.