By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to announce Switch's successor this FY, Switch 1 Direct coming in June

zeldaring said:

I just bought gaming laptop for 500$ with 16gb of ram and with rtx 3050, playing switch games is a beautiful thing as mobile experience. I really hope switch has a much better mobile experience with the new joycons and the lcd is much better quality.

A better quality screen is almost a certainly; LCD tech has come a long way since 2016 when the Switch would've been finalized.

Around the Network

Apparently Nintendo just hired a shitload of new staff to get ready for the Switch's successor.

Jumpin said:

There is a Monolithsoft "Project Legacy" that's being reported on as a "leak".
That would be a direct reference to the B.L.A.D.E. acronym in Xenoblade Chronicles X - Builders of the Legacy After the Destruction of Earth.

That's just in the English Treehouse localization, the real term employed in the script is "Logos". Which you know approx. what this reference to from the Xeno lore. 

+ The "Legacy" codename is completely different than what the devs were using for past codenames in the series which remained under a certain consistent logic. 

Anyway, it could for Xenoblade sure, but it could also be for something new.

CaptainExplosion said:

Apparently Nintendo just hired a shitload of new staff to get ready for the Switch's successor.

Wasn't that already known from the last QA ? 

They hired like 600 peeps in the last year or so if I remember. Probably thinking of more since they're having a new building set by 2028.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
Jumpin said:

There is a Monolithsoft "Project Legacy" that's being reported on as a "leak".
That would be a direct reference to the B.L.A.D.E. acronym in Xenoblade Chronicles X - Builders of the Legacy After the Destruction of Earth.

That's just in the English Treehouse localization, the real term employed in the script is "Logos". Which you know approx. what this reference to from the Xeno lore. 

+ The "Legacy" codename is completely different than what the devs were using for past codenames in the series which remained under a certain consistent logic. 

CaptainExplosion said:

They hired like 600 peeps in the last year or so if I remember. Probably thinking of more since they're having a new building set by 2028.

Either way, it's nice to see Nintendo doing the opposite of other developers these days. It'd be ironic if some of the new hires were previously laid off from PlayStation or Xbox.

CaptainExplosion said:
Mar1217 said:

CaptainExplosion said:

Either way, it's nice to see Nintendo doing the opposite of other developers these days. It'd be ironic if some of the new hires were previously laid off from PlayStation or Xbox.

Yes, against the whole black veil of the current western VG industry, this is pretty much where Japan and it's employment-welfare laws have a massive edge over what's currently in vogue here. Not only that but Nintendo is also historically led by people who understands the company philosophy when it comes to the importance of the software and creatives against the wish-fullfilment of shareholders for the infinite growth, thus destroying the art in the process progressively.

Also, why would they basically do as others while they're experiencing unprecedented revenue would be weird. Especially now they've talked about the challenges of the next generation and the need to grow the company to a certain degree for the growing needs.

Anyway, would be fun to see if in a few years, we'll see some of those new hires under new IP projects and such for the company.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

So, now that we've had the Direct, it turns out Nintendo was indeed holding multiple new Switch games for the second half of 2024.
It never made sense that the second half would be empty, they would've held onto Princess Peach Showtime and the Paper Mario remake if it was.

Less than 9 and a half months now, and probably significantly less, til we see Switch 2. And thankfully, this time we have plenty to play in the meantime.

curl-6 said:

So, now that we've had the Direct, it turns out Nintendo was indeed holding multiple new Switch games for the second half of 2024.
It never made sense that the second half would be empty, they would've held onto Princess Peach Showtime and the Paper Mario remake if it was.

Less than 9 and a half months now, and probably significantly less, til we see Switch 2. And thankfully, this time we have plenty to play in the meantime.

Hopefully significantly less one would think. Should be around October if they are following the same cycle as the Switch 1. 

If they don't have anything to show on Switch 2 this year, then I would begin to get worried that they are having significant problems adjusting to the hardware leap the Switch 2 offers, moreso than expected. 

Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

Hopefully significantly less one would think. Should be around October if they are following the same cycle as the Switch 1. 

If they don't have anything to show on Switch 2 this year, then I would begin to get worried that they are having significant problems adjusting to the hardware leap the Switch 2 offers, moreso than expected. 

I suspect they may hold off on showing the successor this year just so they can squeeze one more lucrative holiday season out of the current Switch.

I don't think that's necessarily cause for concern though; while it's certainly possible the leap in complexity is proving difficult, it could also just be that prolonged marketing cycles aren't really necessary in this day and age. They could easily unveil Switch 2 in January and roll it out in March-May.

curl-6 said:

I suspect they may hold off on showing the successor this year just so they can squeeze one more lucrative holiday season out of the current Switch.

I don't think that's necessarily cause for concern though; while it's certainly possible the leap in complexity is proving difficult, it could also just be that prolonged marketing cycles aren't really necessary in this day and age. They could easily unveil Switch 2 in January and roll it out in March-May.

Switch 2 won't launch this fiscal year. People should finally make peace with that.

Nintendo is doing it right this time by refraining from ending a system prematurely. When Switch is selling well enough to go for 8+ years, then that's the time Switch should get.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Nintendo better keep Swith unlock untill summer 2025

but, they need to release new Donkey Kong game + Tomodachi + Prosefor Layton + Pokemon + New Wario 2D