By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Ships 141.32 Million Units as of March 2024

Switch had the best fiscal year 7 of any Platform beating the PS2's 14.71 million by almost one million. The PS2 has the best FY8 of 13.73 million and Nintendo forecasts 13.50 million so this fiscal year it will be close to the record.

Nintendo yearly hardware shipments (millions of units)

Note: GB hardware shipments counted up to March 31st 1998, GBC hardware shipments counted from April 1st 1998.

Sony yearly hardware shipments (millions of units)

Note: The PSV numbers are estimates and the PS5 still has Q4 remaining for FY3 and is forecast to ship 21 million.

Nintendo yearly software shipments (millions of units)

Note: GB software shipments counted up to March 31st 1998, GBC software shipments counted from April 1st 1998.

Switch software for fiscal year 7 was only around 15 million less than the combined total of all other Nintendo Platforms.
Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 08 May 2024

Around the Network
javi741 said:
ShadowLink93 said:

Great work. The hardware drops in Americas and Europe are bad, might be due to massive over shipments in Q3 though. Europe was only down 30% according to GSD sell through data but 61% down in shipments, plenty of unsold inventory left over from Q3.

Yea I think Nintendo definitely overshipped in Q3 which lowered the shipments lower than expected relative to the sell-through numbers we were receiving from the U.S & Europe in Q4.

I remember many of us after the big declines we saw in November 2023 when it came to sell through numbers from the U.S & Europe we were expecting Switch to be closer to 5M shipped rather than 6.9M it actually shipped, while the 6.9M was bigger than we thought relative to the sell through numbers we saw, it became clear that Nintendo overshipped that quarter after we saw similar declines I'm Q4 but much worse shipments numbers. So 2M+ non-holiday quarters are still certainly possible from here on out once supply and demand becomes leveled again

Yeah the 6.9 million was far higher than i was expecting for Q3.

Shatts said:
Shtinamin_ said:

I personally believe that if they do release a Tomodachi, Rhythm Heaven and other smaller IP's then the "system seller" would be Tomodachi due to nostalgia. Rhythm Heaven sells round 1-3M units at most, and those that are Rhythm Heaven enjoyers (like myself) have already gotten a Switch before.

I am a strong believer that Metroid Prime 4 will not be the cross-gen launch, because I think they will be releasing a new 3D Mario, and a few months later the new Mario Kart.

This 2nd half will probably be (my wish list, most realisitc to the top):
Mario Party iteration
Metroid Prime 4
DK (due to DKC in Universal & his presence in the movie)
Nintendo World Champions NES Deluxe
Tomodachi
Rhythm Heaven
Remake of Kid Icarus (1986)
Mario & Sonic @ Paris Olympics 2024
Pokémon (small game)
Nintendogs

Flip Studio (that's a want)
Art Academy (that's a want).

Agreed $300 OLED, $150 Lite, $250 Switch or bundles: MK8D+booster bundle, SMBW bundle, TotK bundle, Pikmin 4 bundle. Each bundle would be an additional $50. Maybe Nintendo implements both scenarios essentially slashing the price by $60.

With Successor Announcement in Nov 2024

The last Rhythm Heaven title was the Wii version. Ever since, the IP has gained massive popularity globally through many content creators playing it, popular edited videos like the Smash one, and older players coming together. I can totally see Rhythm Heaven doing 10m unless it's full price which it would most likely be cuz Nintendo.

If I was Nintendo, I wouldn't launch the Switch 2 with 3D Mario. I would just repeat the Switch launch. Reveal Oct, presentation Jan, launch March. Highly anticipated cross-gen title (MP4) and new IPs at launch. Mario Kart in the summer, 3D Mario holidays. Smaller titles in between. 

Well, the last Rhythm Heaven was Rhythm Heaven Megamix, which only sold 1.03M, and the series as a whole has sold 5.18M over 4 games. The best selling is Rhythm Heaven for the NDS at 3.04M.

But I do agree that it has gained in popularity, I have certainly found it recently through a friend and I have enjoyed playing it (I have a really hard time with the Monkey Time level). Hmm considering that even SMBW is having a relatively hard time selling (compared to TotK, BotW, SMO, ACNH, and Pokémon at least), I think a Rhythm Heaven Switch would sell near 5-8M.

I feel like MP4 wont be cross-gen considering that the game is essentially completed, and that Metroid doesn't have a huge fanbase. The two latest Metroid games, Metroid Dread, and Metroid Prime Remastered sold 3.07M and 1.09M respectively. Metroid Dread is the best selling Metroid game of all time. Meaning that MP4 will sit near 10M at most. And wont be the reason people go purchase a new console worth $400. I will say the Metroid has gained in fans, otherwise the Switch sales would have been lower. and having it as a cross-gen launch will boost sales, but they wont be BotW sales. MP4 will at max reach 20M.

I do agree that Mario Kart will be in the Summer if the successor launches in March. We may be seeing a fall 2025 launch, with a Jan-Mar announcement.

Doctor_MG said:
Shtinamin_ said

I dont think they would bring in a new SKU model at such a late stage of the console's life. They have done it before with the GB bringing in the GBC, but that is a handheld and was due to the failure that was the Virtual Boy. If they bring in a new SKU, why would they replace it so soon with a brand new successor? I think option 1 is the most logical.

Actually, it is Nintendo MO to release a new SKU this late in the life cycle. 

- New style NES releases two years after SNES released. 

- New style SNES released a year after N64 released

-Gameboy Light came out the same year the Gameboy Color did, so that's two revisions of a console 9 years after release.

- Gameboy Micro released a year after DS released

- DSi XL released a year before 3DS

- Wii mini released a few months after the Wii U came out

- New 2DS XL came out a few months after the Switch came out. 

Pretty much the only consoles they haven't done this for are the consoles that didn't sell very well. 

Oooo. Look at that. I do appreciate the work put in to this. And ngl that is very amazing to hear that they have done this pretty much for every console.

I will give the new hardware revision some more consideration.

Would this be the rumored Youtube poll Nintendo Switch Attach? New revision in October 2024?
Thanks.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Sheesh, 7.3 million in FY10?

The PS2 had plenty of gas left in the tank before Sony decided to demolish the car.

PAOerfulone said:

The PS2 had plenty of gas left in the tank before Sony decided to demolish the car.

How did they demolish the car? Sony produced the PS2 until January 2013, nearly 13 years after its release, that's the equivalent of Nintendo still producing the Switch in 2030. They gave it an extraordinarily long life.

Also going by these charts the PS4 had worse legs than the PS3, selling less in its 7th and 8th years, didn't realize that was the case.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
PAOerfulone said:

How did they demolish the car? Sony produced the PS2 until January 2013, nearly 13 years after its release, that's the equivalent of Nintendo still producing the Switch in 2030. They gave it an extraordinarily long life.

Also going by these charts the PS4 had worse legs than the PS3, selling less in its 7th and 8th years, didn't realize that was the case.

Due to the shortages Sony killed production of the PS4 faster than they were probably wanting to, so they could focus on PS5 production.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Due to the shortages Sony killed production of the PS4 faster than they were probably wanting to, so they could focus on PS5 production.

Oh I knew PS4 died a quick death after the PS5 arrived, I just wasn't aware that even with its higher baseline that it slipped below PS3 before it was even replaced.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Oh I knew PS4 died a quick death after the PS5 arrived, I just wasn't aware that even with its higher baseline that it slipped below PS3 before it was even replaced.

Yeah the PS4 would have been one of the fastest killed off consoles when it comes to production if it wasn't for the fact the Xbox One production was killed at the end of 2020. PS4 production at least continued until early 2022. March 2022 quarter the last time they reported PS4 shipment figures. Though this page says June 30, 2022. https://sonyinteractive.com/en/our-company/business-data-sales/

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

PAOerfulone said:

It sold approximately another 14 million in FY 11,12 &13.

javi741 said:

13.5M seems extremely ambitious for the fiscal year tbh especially since Nintendo already acknowledged the successor is coming. And this quarter was a bit lower than expected in sales, didn't even crack 2M when I was expecting it to be closer to 2.5M. Maybe Nintendo did this aggressive forecast to not give a way a potential release window for Switch 2 cause if the forecast is too low it could imply the Switch successor will come this year.

Perhaps Switch 2 is not coming this or next year, but early 2026. There are pretty much no ru.ours about Switch 2 yet. Usually there are some rumours a year in advance about the possible price, specs etc. Also a lot of games get announced for a new platform a year in advance. I guess we will see in a month if Switch 2 is happening soon. I expect Nintendo to announce it at least 9 months in advance. Considering they still think Switch will sell 13.5 million, they might not be targeting an early 2025 release, but perhaps early 2026.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar