By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Ships 141.32 Million Units as of March 2024

curl-6 said:

Yeah the Lite is not a price cut as its a different model that strips back key features. If the Lite acted as a price cut then the majority of units sold since its release would be the Lite model, yet even in Japan the original and OLED models sell more despite their higher price point.

The base Switch cost $300 USD in 2017 and costs $300 USD today. The system has not yet had a permanent price cut.

It's something Nintendo gets a lot of grief for in not cutting their prices especially on their software. Their IPs have crazy value to sell like they do while maintaining their original MSRPs. Just another reason the Switch is such a wild success.

Around the Network
HebrewGamer said:
Phenomajp13 said:

@HebrewGamer

https://sonyinteractive.com/en/our-company/business-data-sales/

Straight from Sony's website it has officially shipped/sold 1.537 billion units of software as of March 31, 2012. Where is this 1.24 billion coming from?

PS2 wasn't officially discontinued until December 2012/January 2013 hardware wise which means the hardware and software are both higher but we don't know how high. 

Sorry buddy, but If you look at your source again it says for software "sell-in" and for hardware it says "sell-through"

sell-in = Units delivered to retailers = shipments

sell-through = units sold to end user/customer = sales

The 1537 cumulative shipments could very well be inaccurate but Sony wouldn't be the first nor the last company to inflate numbers using shipments instead of sales.

Good effort though.

Dude what? I see you clearly don't understand how this works. I know the difference between sell in and sellthrough but you don't understand how ridiculous your stance is.

Sell in or shipped or sold is what matters to Sony because it's when Sony gets paid. Obviously every unit of hardware or software needs to be shipped (sell in) to a retailer to eventually be sold to consumers (sellthrough). Sellthrough matters to a retailer because its when the retailer makes their money (from the consumer). Sellthrough also determines whether the retailer needs to order more from Sony which equates to more shipments from Sony. If something isn't selling (sellthrough) then the retailer isnt going to order more (shipments from Sony). This stuff isn't free, these retailers are buying the inventory from Sony which is why sell-in/sold/shipped matters to Sony, because they are getting paid from the retailer. Sellthrough matters to retailers because it determines when they make their money. Of course I'm not saying sellthrough is irrelevant to Sony because obviously a high sellthrough means higher shipments or you know more sales for Sony.

Did you not notice Sony has sell in for software and hardware in my link? Everything has to be sell in or shipped or sold which ever term you prefer. Sellthrough is only mentioned as more points of data along with being easier to track for hardware because there are much less hardware to track. Software doesnt have a sellthrough figure because software is sold in the multi millions making it more difficult to track. Sellthrough figures are mostly estimates while sell-in are perfectly tracked because Sony certainly knows how many consoles they have manufactured and shipped and software they print and ship.

It seems like you are suggesting the 1.5 billion is shipped and the 1.2 billion is sellthrough? I hope that's not what you are suggesting for a console that has been dead for over a decade. Why would any retailer still have new inventory for PS2? Retailers would have certainly done something after all these years to sell it to consumers such as software price cuts or bundles. Retailers don't just sit on inventory especially after all these years for a dead console. All of the PS2 software that Sony shipped has certainly been sold by now and regardless that isn't Sony's issue. Sony already made their money from that software. Also lol at you using a link from wiki but trying to downplay my link from Sony. That link from wiki is just an achieved screenshot of Sony's site showing data from 2007. My link is from Sony's site with the most up to date data for PS2. 

HebrewGamer said:

You can read it everywhere except the official source...anyway, moving on. BTW, repeating a talking point over and over again does not make the point a fact, just so you know.

You mentioned before how the Switch Lite was a price cut. This is not true. selling a lesser variant of a piece of hardware is not a price cut. The xbox series S is not a price cut. truthfully, the Switch OLED is not a price increase, they're just different variants. the original is the standard model, OLED is the premium model, and the Lite is the economy model. the 3DS being discounted $80 6 months in is a price cut.

The link that I posted you earlier was official from Sony from their report from 2010. It is presented in other places too. It is not just imaginative number.

And the fact is already told. You hate on the PS2 and deny it's success that's it. No one denies the Switch success, but just to put it above the PS2, you downplay it this is the fact. Switch Lite and the inflation both took most of the effect of a price cut. They are not 100% price cut because price cut is simply selling the system for less.

The inflation in time, that those 300$ are less now, we can't really measure in how much units added it has because of that and an given case where the inflation isn't here and price cut would be present. Of course it's not 1:1 like price cut, but as I said the majority of the boost of official price cut, is included in the today numbers of Switch. In fact I went and checked, the inflation is almost 30% by now. 300$ from 2017 are like 385$ now. So you have almost 100$ up. So you now get the Switch for almost 100$ less than what would be the 2017 price now. This is pretty much a price cut. Yes there is difference with every year, but I checked the last few years too. Its growing each year. So in 2020 that would be 340$. It was almost the same in 2021 but it raiset to 360$ in 2022 and 370$ in 2023. So there is your pricecut effect.

The Lite model has 23.54 from the last official report. And from those one of the reasons for the majority of the buyers was exactly it's lower price. If someone has money, he would go straight for the OLED or at least for the normal model. If this was official price cut then the Switch would got maybe 20-25M boost in the long term. With the Lite from 23.54M the customers who chosed it with a major reason being the lower price are at least 15M if not 20M.

So in direct terms it's not 100% price cut yes. But it's taking 80% of the effect of the real pricecut. For example the years in the previous console generation the inflation wasn't as big, and on top of that there were more price cuts too. Now the whole model goes for no pricecut, as you can see PS4 and XB1 had only 1 pricecut and PS5 and XBSX even had price increase.

So all in all the term "Switch didn't have pricecut" is true, however it has almost the same thing. So there is not much point in doing this statement in first place

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 13 June 2024

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

Phenomajp13 said:
HebrewGamer said:

Sorry buddy, but If you look at your source again it says for software "sell-in" and for hardware it says "sell-through"

sell-in = Units delivered to retailers = shipments

sell-through = units sold to end user/customer = sales

The 1537 cumulative shipments could very well be inaccurate but Sony wouldn't be the first nor the last company to inflate numbers using shipments instead of sales.

Good effort though.

Dude what? I see you clearly don't understand how this works. I know the difference between sell in and sellthrough but you don't understand how ridiculous your stance is.

Sell in or shipped or sold is what matters to Sony because it's when Sony gets paid. Obviously every unit of hardware or software needs to be shipped (sell in) to a retailer to eventually be sold to consumers (sellthrough). Sellthrough matters to a retailer because its when the retailer makes their money (from the consumer). Sellthrough also determines whether the retailer needs to order more from Sony which equates to more shipments from Sony. If something isn't selling (sellthrough) then the retailer isnt going to order more (shipments from Sony). This stuff isn't free, these retailers are buying the inventory from Sony which is why sell-in/sold/shipped matters to Sony, because they are getting paid from the retailer. Sellthrough matters to retailers because it determines when they make their money. Of course I'm not saying sellthrough is irrelevant to Sony because obviously a high sellthrough means higher shipments or you know more sales for Sony.

Did you not notice Sony has sell in for software and hardware in my link? Everything has to be sell in or shipped or sold which ever term you prefer. Sellthrough is only mentioned as more points of data along with being easier to track for hardware because there are much less hardware to track. Software doesnt have a sellthrough figure because software is sold in the multi millions making it more difficult to track. Sellthrough figures are mostly estimates while sell-in are perfectly tracked because Sony certainly knows how many consoles they have manufactured and shipped and software they print and ship.

It seems like you are suggesting the 1.5 billion is shipped and the 1.2 billion is sellthrough? I hope that's not what you are suggesting for a console that has been dead for over a decade. Why would any retailer still have new inventory for PS2? Retailers would have certainly done something after all these years to sell it to consumers such as software price cuts or bundles. Retailers don't just sit on inventory especially after all these years for a dead console. All of the PS2 software that Sony shipped has certainly been sold by now and regardless that isn't Sony's issue. Sony already made their money from that software. Also lol at you using a link from wiki but trying to downplay my link from Sony. That link from wiki is just an achieved screenshot of Sony's site showing data from 2007. My link is from Sony's site with the most up to date data for PS2. 

You're simply wrong buddy. A shipment to a retailer does not equal a sale to the customer. It's why the wiki page says there's overlap between the 1.24B and the 297m. A shipment and a sale are not the same...Sorry.

You lost the point man, just admit you were wrong and move on. 

Last edited by HebrewGamer - on 13 June 2024

XtremeBG said:
HebrewGamer said:

You can read it everywhere except the official source...anyway, moving on. BTW, repeating a talking point over and over again does not make the point a fact, just so you know.

You mentioned before how the Switch Lite was a price cut. This is not true. selling a lesser variant of a piece of hardware is not a price cut. The xbox series S is not a price cut. truthfully, the Switch OLED is not a price increase, they're just different variants. the original is the standard model, OLED is the premium model, and the Lite is the economy model. the 3DS being discounted $80 6 months in is a price cut.

The link that I posted you earlier was official from Sony from their report from 2010. It is presented in other places too. It is not just imaginative number.

And the fact is already told. You hate on the PS2 and deny it's success that's it. No one denies the Switch success, but just to put it above the PS2, you downplay it this is the fact. Switch Lite and the inflation both took most of the effect of a price cut. They are not 100% price cut because price cut is simply selling the system for less.

The inflation in time, that those 300$ are less now, we can't really measure in how much units added it has because of that and an given case where the inflation isn't here and price cut would be present. Of course it's not 1:1 like price cut, but as I said the majority of the boost of official price cut, is included in the today numbers of Switch. In fact I went and checked, the inflation is almost 30% by now. 300$ from 2017 are like 385$ now. So you have almost 100$ up. So you now get the Switch for almost 100$ less than what would be the 2017 price now. This is pretty much a price cut. Yes there is difference with every year, but I checked the last few years too. Its growing each year. So in 2020 that would be 340$. It was almost the same in 2021 but it raiset to 360$ in 2022 and 370$ in 2023. So there is your pricecut effect.

The Lite model has 23.54 from the last official report. And from those one of the reasons for the majority of the buyers was exactly it's lower price. If someone has money, he would go straight for the OLED or at least for the normal model. If this was official price cut then the Switch would got maybe 20-25M boost in the long term. With the Lite from 23.54M the customers who chosed it with a major reason being the lower price are at least 15M if not 20M.

So in direct terms it's not 100% price cut yes. But it's taking 80% of the effect of the real pricecut. For example the years in the previous console generation the inflation wasn't as big, and on top of that there were more price cuts too. Now the whole model goes for no pricecut, as you can see PS4 and XB1 had only 1 pricecut and PS5 and XBSX even had price increase.

So all in all the term "Switch didn't have pricecut" is true, however it has almost the same thing. So there is not much point in doing this statement in first place

whatever you say buddy.

Around the Network
HebrewGamer said:

whatever you say buddy.

I know you won't agree with me, and this is not my target. You have your own (wrong) thinking of the how things are and what is successful and what no. You won't change the thinking of the other adequate people here too. The main thing that I wanted to tell you was that everything successful in life and on the market is successful for a reason. Even if you give 100000 reasons why, it still remains successful. And no matter how much you like Switch or whatever other console, it is not a reason to hate on the other one or downplay it. Also in the end the 95% or even more of the people on the web and articles in websites look for the final numbers (despite the way the tech got there) when they are writing posts or articles about successful things or even comparing them. And in the case of consoles they look software and hardware numbers. It's not entirely correct, cuz there are many other factors too but this is the fact. And by this being the factor, Switch still hasn't reached the software and the hardware numbers of the PS2. (obviously excluding the digital sales cuz we don't have any info on that). I also don't agree on this being purely the form of success but this is what is mostly written on the websites and forums when talking about success - numbers. So by the hardware numbers Switch is 3rd for now, by software ones it's 2nd. If the Switch is so tough as you praise it then it should have no trouble beating PS2 on the both fronts. Instead of bashing on the PS2, try to cheer for the Switch by not hating on one of it's competitors on the top.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 14 June 2024

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

HebrewGamer said:
Phenomajp13 said:

You're simply wrong buddy. A shipment to a retailer does not equal a sale to the customer. It's why the wiki page says there's overlap between the 1.24B and the 297m. A shipment and a sale are not the same...Sorry.

You lost the point man, just admit you were wrong and move on. 

Omg, so we should believe wikipedia lol. Yes bro shipments do equal sales because that's all what Sony cares about and eventually nearly every piece of software is sold to consumers due to the various different ways for retailers to get rid of inventory. Please tell us where all that software for the PS2 is hiding in 2024? What overlap is wiki even talking about and why in the world do you believe it?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

"If you argue with fools for too long, you end up looking like one yourself"

- King Solomon...I think

Imagine being foolish enough to use wikipedia as a source and then calling others a fool.