By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Ships 141.32 Million Units as of March 2024

@HebrewGamer Keep in mind also that as @curl-6 said earlier, success is not measured only by software or hardware numbers. Success is subjective. Also It's way more easier and affordable for consoles nowadays to sell more, both hardware and software. So it's not entirely fair to compare the success by this. I am sure that even if Switch doesn't pass the PS2, there will be console that will pass it either way in near future. But you simply can't name something from nowadays to be more successful than a very successful console from 25 years ago, because the factors are many, and most of them are way different than they have been 25 years ago. Also again for 10th time. Why you turn this into PS2 vs Switch ? The original point was that the success of a previous console, can't and should not be denied or neglected just like that, and throwing some reasons and call it a day. Everything has a reason for it's result. From that logic let's begin analyze and downplay every console because every of them has flaws, weaknesses, strong sides, and prons and cons in general. Your logic of your original post here is simply irrelevant.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 13 June 2024

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

Around the Network

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_2_video_games#cite_note-1

Here's the wiki page I was talking about. Scroll down to where it says it shipped 1.24B units and it will have a citation link taking you to the source.

HebrewGamer said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_2_video_games#cite_note-1

Here's the wiki page I was talking about. Scroll down to where it says it shipped 1.24B units and it will have a citation link taking you to the source.

First, see my post that I just posted 1 minute before that.

Second here is the quote I see " As of March 31, 2007, a total of 1.24 billion copies of PlayStation 2 software had been shipped worldwide. "

As of 2007 - Can you read ?

Third, I will quote my self, as clearly you just write whatever you want, without reading other people's posts.

XtremeBG said:

Even if you was true and the actual number reported was 1.24B and 300 more shipped it is obvious those 300 more would be sold at sometime. Which would again lead to final number of 1537.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 13 June 2024

XtremeBG said:
HebrewGamer said:

First, see my post that I just posted 1 minute before that.

Second here is the quote I see " As of March 31, 2007, a total of 1.24 billion copies of PlayStation 2 software had been shipped worldwide. "

As of 2007 - Can you read ?

I can, but you clearly can't(I already mentioned this in my last post about the sources but I'll do it again just for you)

If you keep reading you see it talks about the additional 297m units sold 2007 to 2012 and states there is POSSIBLE OVERLAP.

This is because the first figure is a sell-in/shipment number where the 297m in additional sell-through/sales possibly came from.

As far as your former post, it's you making claims you can't prove so......Ok Boomer(thumbsup)

Last edited by HebrewGamer - on 13 June 2024

Response to your edit:

It didn't say 300 more shipped it said 300 additional units were sold between 2007 and 2012 which could include overlap.

And you wanna question my reading skills?

Around the Network

@HebrewGamer The thing is, as of that moment, it is still possible for the Switch to outsell PS2 by software and hardware, and even if it does, you still won't be right. Because first, you are downplaying and bashing on a successful console and search for reasons to deny it. Second you are comparing systems which launched almost 20 years apart, and have been selling at different eras. You simply can't measure the success like that and say which one is more successful. Many of the advantages modern consoles have the older didn't. So you can't compare oranges to apples. So your whole logic and debate is just irrelevant. The hate you give to PS2 is also speaking of how you thing about the things in general.

HebrewGamer said:

I can, but you clearly can't(I already mentioned this in my last post about the sources but I'll do it again just for you)

If you keep reading you see it talks about the additional 297m units sold 2007 to 2012 and states there is POSSIBLE OVERLAP.

This is because the first figure is a sell-in/shipment number where the 297m in additional sell-through/sales possibly came from.

As far as your former post, it's you making claims you can't prove so......Ok Boomer(thumbsup)

You can read that 1.52 pretty much everywhere. Even with some overlap the final number is still there or even bigger, cuz PS2 was selling software for 3 more years (the announcement was from early 2011). No matter how you rotate it at the moment PS2 officially reported software is more than the Switch officially reported one. But this is not such a factor as I wrote in my last post that you can read.

About the post you read, why you keep ignoring that you just try to deny PS2 success and try to bash at it by giving reasons ? Just confess already. You simply hate the PS2, and you try to downplay it with whatever you can.It's not me making claims, it's you hating on the PS2.

Personally I wasn't much of a fan of the PS2, it's my least favourite PS home console (not including PS5 as its too early to judge that one) as I found games in general during this era to be a bit dull for the most part, but there's just no denying the PS2 was an absolute juggernaut commercially, I mean the fact it still hasn't been outsold 24 years after its release says it all really.

Switch is well on its way to challenging the throne though, and the next few years will be very interesting to watch. Even if Switch falls somewhat short in raw hardware sales, I think a decent case can be made for either of them in terms of "most successful" ever based on different metrics.

XtremeBG said:
HebrewGamer said:

You can read that 1.52 pretty much everywhere. Even with some overlap the final number is still there or even bigger, cuz PS2 was selling software for 3 more years (the announcement was from early 2011). No matter how you rotate it at the moment PS2 officially reported software is more than the Switch officially reported one. But this is not such a factor as I wrote in my last post that you can read.

About the post you read, why you keep ignoring that you just try to deny PS2 success and try to bash at it by giving reasons ? Just confess already. You simply hate the PS2, and you try to downplay it with whatever you can.It's not me making claims, it's you hating on the PS2.

You can read it everywhere except the official source...anyway, moving on. BTW, repeating a talking point over and over again does not make the point a fact, just so you know.

You mentioned before how the Switch Lite was a price cut. This is not true. selling a lesser variant of a piece of hardware is not a price cut. The xbox series S is not a price cut. truthfully, the Switch OLED is not a price increase, they're just different variants. the original is the standard model, OLED is the premium model, and the Lite is the economy model. the 3DS being discounted $80 6 months in is a price cut.

Yeah the Lite is not a price cut as its a different model that strips back key features. If the Lite acted as a price cut then the majority of units sold since its release would be the Lite model, yet even in Japan the original and OLED models sell more despite their higher price point.

The base Switch cost $300 USD in 2017 and costs $300 USD today. The system has not yet had a permanent price cut.