By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - FF7 Rebirth has reportedly sold half what Remake did in the same timeframe

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

Square-Enix is because they've pretty much stated their games are coming to Nintendo systems. 

You can see this in other Japanese games too ... Monster Hunter Wilds has relatively mediocre graphics I would say, there are better looking PS4 games, but I think that's intentional. They want a Switch 2 version so they didn't go too crazy on the fidelity because they know a S2 port is going to sell 5-8 million copies easy for them. We basically know from reliable leakers that Persona 6 will be on Switch 2. A lot of the big Japanese franchises this time around I think are going S2, these devs don't have the money to go higher in graphics fidelity and they don't want to miss out on that S2 money. 

Business is the focus, budgets are the focus, all these companies are getting business suits taking over now who are hyper sensitive to budgeting and wanting to expand their audience (which was an inevitable side effect of rising budgets). That's good for Nintendo, maybe not so good for people who want the industry to forever stay stuck in the 2000s. 

Square-Enix was really the Japanese beacon for the whole "ignore Nintendo, chase graphics fidelity, stay exclusive to Playstation", if they are now going running back to Nintendo, that's a wrap for other Japanese devs too. They were the whole foundation holding up that dated 90s/2000s way of thinking in Japan, now even they have bailed out. 

Monster Hunter World, best-selling in the series, says "hi."

Yeah and look at Wilds (Monster Hunter 6) ... it has mediocre graphics.

These Japanese devs aren't looking to push the envelope, probably Switch 2 is a factor in that, Capcom knows full well if they have a S2 version of Wilds they stand to sell 5-8 million copies. At even $30 profit per copy, that's what? $150 million dollars on the low end right there. Well a whole lot of things start to make sense all of the sudden. 

4K for PS5 and scale that down for Switch 2 dramatically in resolution to start with I think is going to be a popular set up for a lot of Japanese developers. You can bring a PS5 to its knees by forcing it to native render at 4K and if there was anything even left over power wise, just flip on low level ray tracing and boom ... good night PS5, you'll be lucky if your frame rate can even hold in the low 20s. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

Monster Hunter World, best-selling in the series, says "hi."

These Japanese devs aren't looking to push the envelope, probably Switch 2 is a factor in that, Capcom knows full well if they have a S2 version of Wilds they stand to sell 5-8 million copies. At even $30 profit per copy, that's what? $150 million dollars on the low end right there. Well a whole lot of things start to make sense all of the sudden. 

4K for PS5 and scale that down for Switch 2 dramatically in resolution to start with I think is going to be a popular set up for a lot of Japanese developers. 

Agree to disagree.  Time will tell.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

4K for PS5 and scale that down for Switch 2 dramatically in resolution to start with I think is going to be a popular set up for a lot of Japanese developers. 

I mean we can all see MH Wilds graphics right now, you're going to tell me with a straight face that looks like a game that's really pushing the PS5? There are better looking PS4 games. 

People forget these Japanese companies are not that large, they're not huge conglomerates, the market cap of Capcom and Square-Enix and Sega and Konami's game divisions game combined doesn't even come close to like Activision. 

The only way things like ever increasing budgets for Final Fantasy were ever going to work was if the games were seeing large growth in sales ... and we see that's obviously not happening. 

When Capcom is not really willing to push the envelope even for a sequel to a game that sold like 20+ million copies, it says what Square-Enix was trying to do was all the more insane. I don't think Rebirth as is is going to even sell more than 5 million copies even with a PC port, 7 million for Remake combined on three platforms (PS4, PC, PS5) already was a "uh oh". This is one the most hyped games ever that launched right as COVID lockdowns were setting in and had a large PS4 userbase and that's all it could get to ... that's honestly really poor performance. 

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

I mean we can all see MH Wilds graphics right now, you're going to tell me with a straight face that looks like a game that's really pushing the PS5? There are better looking PS4 games. 

People forget these Japanese companies are not that large, they're not huge conglomerates, the market cap of Capcom and Square-Enix and Sega and Konami's game divisions game combined doesn't even come close to like Activision. 

The only way things like ever increasing budgets for Final Fantasy were ever going to work was if the games were seeing large growth in sales ... and we see that's obviously not happening. 

When Capcom is not really willing to push the envelope even for a sequel to a game that sold like 20+ million copies, it says what Square-Enix was trying to do was all the more insane. I don't think Rebirth as is is going to even sell more than 5 million copies even with a PC port. 

Agree to disagree?  You really seemed obsessed with arguing.  Time will tell.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

When Capcom is not really willing to push the envelope even for a sequel to a game that sold like 20+ million copies, it says what Square-Enix was trying to do was all the more insane. I don't think Rebirth as is is going to even sell more than 5 million copies even with a PC port. 

Agree to what? 

Does MH Wilds look like a game pushing the PS5? It looks worse than some PS4 games if you ask me, where's the graphical fidelity at exactly? 

Square-Enix has said what they've said, it's there in black and white writing, so I'm just discussing the reality of what's happened and how that will work going forward. 

If they want their content on Switch 2, which is what they've stated expressly (so no point in debating that, the decision has been made) likely that means their future games are going to be on the Rebirth engine or something similar to that. Which may bother you, but it's fine by me. I don't see too many people saying FF7 Rebirth's problem is the graphics, so if that's "good enough graphics" what exactly is the point of banging your head up against the wall to go higher? They're not going to sell more games by increasing graphics fidelity, if that was the case FF16 should have sold more than 15 (not even close), and 7Rebirth should be above 7Remake (not even close) and Forspoken should be a hit new IP (lol). 

Obviously this new direction from Square-Enix is going to come with serious changes and consequences for their current/past failures. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 15 May 2024

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

Agree to what? 

Does MH Wilds look like a game pushing the PS5? It looks worse than some PS4 games if you ask me, where's the graphical fidelity at exactly? 

Square-Enix has said what they've said, it's there in black and white writing, so I'm just discussing the reality of what's happened and how that will work going forward. 

If they want their content on Switch 2, which is what they've stated expressly (so no point in debating that, the decision has been made) likely that means their future games are going to be on the Rebirth engine or something similar to that. Which may bother you, but it's fine by me. I don't see too many people saying FF7 Rebirth's problem is the graphics, so if that's "good enough graphics" what exactly is the point of banging your head up against the wall to go higher? They're going to sell more games by increasing graphics fidelity, if that was the case FF16 should have sold more than 15 (not even close), and 7Rebirth should be above 7Remake (not even close) and Forspoken should be a hit new IP (lol). 

Obviously this new direction from Square-Enix is going to come with serious changes and consequences for their current/past failures. 

Lol.  Wilds looks way better than Rise, especially particle and lighting.

RE4 kills 8 in fidelity.

Graphics will continue to move forward.  

I do not agree companies are going to stop the graphics game.

I literally don't know what else to say?

Agree to disagree.  Feel free to keep arguing, but it will not be with me.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

Agree to what? 

If they want their content on Switch 2, which is what they've stated expressly (so no point in debating that, the decision has been made) likely that means their future games are going to be on the Rebirth engine or something similar to that. Which may bother you, but it's fine by me. I don't see too many people saying FF7 Rebirth's problem is the graphics, so if that's "good enough graphics" what exactly is the point of banging your head up against the wall to go higher? They're going to sell more games by increasing graphics fidelity, if that was the case FF16 should have sold more than 15 (not even close), and 7Rebirth should be above 7Remake (not even close) and Forspoken should be a hit new IP (lol). 

Lol.  Wilds looks way better than Rise, especially particle and lighting.

RE4 kills 8 in fidelity.

Graphics will continue to move forward.  

I do not agree companies are going to stop the graphics game.

I literally don't know what else to say?

Agree to disagree.  Feel free to keep arguing, but it will not be with me.  

Well I should hope it looks better than Rise, Rise is a Switch 1 game. 

RE4 looks nice, but also runs on a PS4 so I don't think it's actually doing anything that much better than 8 other than having a better art style. 

None of these Japanese studios are interested in pushing the max graphics fidelity, MH Wilds for a PS5 game looks mediocre, would you call that even one of the top 30 looking games on the platform? I think you know full well it looks fairly mediocre. Pretty lame for a sequel to a game that actually sold huge numbers (20+ million) if that's a big priority for you. 

Square-Enix was the last hold out in Japan still operating like it was the 90s/2000s ... and it looks like that is over and done with. You can't have three big budget games all underperform and not have serious consequences for it. Don't see much an argument there. 

How they will operate in the future now that they've said they want their top content on Nintendo platforms ... well a few things are going to have to change. Just is what it is. They're going to have to be more pragmatic in their choices in game development to be able to have Switch 2 versions of major titles. 

Using the Rebirth engine going forward (why not, FF7 Rebirth looks fine) and scaling that to the Switch 2 is probably for example a good choice given their newly decided upon direction. Having a new engine for every new FF game was stupid to begin with, when you're not even selling big numbers it just becomes completely unworkable as a business model. 

You can still have a very nice looking game, you just can't be stupid with expensive design choices and will have to compromise on some things. This new direction will force them to be more practical and economical in their game development. 

I certainly hope MH Wilds comes to Switch 2, and frankly it would be a huge fail on Capcom's part if it doesn't, they'd be leaving millions of extra sales on the table for no good reason.

Graphically it's not even a big leap over World on PS4/XBO, and while the scope is clearly increased, it really doesn't look like it couldn't run on a Switch successor.

curl-6 said:

I certainly hope MH Wilds comes to Switch 2, and frankly it would be a huge fail on Capcom's part if it doesn't, they'd be leaving millions of extra sales on the table for no good reason.

Graphically it's not even a big leap over World on PS4/XBO, and while the scope is clearly increased, it really doesn't look like it couldn't run on a Switch successor.

It looks like a game that made with the understanding that they want a fast and easy port to Switch 2. 

It's for the best for these Japanese studios anyway. What are they really supposed to do in the years coming ahead? Try and compete with games like Grand Theft Auto VI? That game has a $1 billion dollar budget, half of that just for the game and like a 8-9 year dev cycle. 

How is a Square-Enix or Capcom ever supposed to compete with that? They're not going to measure up to that, and just going up past their current fidelity is not going to gain them any sales. You would need to go much higher (into that $300-$400+ million budget range) to really get any one's attention in a big way. 

It's why that direction is a path leading them off a cliff, the only way Square-Enix could have stayed on that road is if Final Fantasy was selling like 14-15+ million an installment and ideally growing, instead you have Rebirth and 16 both probably struggling just to get to 5 million and Final Fantasy 17 should go *up* in fidelity? lol, you might as well throw money down the toilet. 

You're not going to gain sales, FF16 looks better than FF15 and is selling way less, FF7 Rebirth looks better than FF7 Remake and is also selling less. Going up another notch for FF17 and Remake Part III would be the definition of insanity, looks like they realized they can't do that anymore and have pivoted to include Nintendo platforms now for all their major projects going forward. 

The only companies that are going to be able to afford to make mega budget games in the future are going to be a very small group of Western studios that generally part of larger media conglomerates (like Sony's internal studios) who can afford to make $200-$300 million+ games and even Sony's internal memo leaks show they are shitting their pants with concern on how big the budgets to even get to Spider-Man 2 visual fidelity is costing them. 

That said man MH Wilds is one ugly looking game in some respects. Some of the grass/bushes look like they're lifted from a PS3 game. 

Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

It looks like a game that made with the understanding that they want a fast and easy port to Switch 2. 

It's for the best for these Japanese studios anyway. What are they really supposed to do in the years coming ahead? Try and compete with games like Grand Theft Auto VI? That game has a $1 billion dollar budget, half of that just for the game and like a 8-9 year dev cycle. 

How is a Square-Enix or Capcom ever supposed to compete with that? They're not going to measure up to that, and just going up past their current fidelity is not going to gain them any sales. You would need to go much higher (into that $300-$400+ million budget range) to really get any one's attention in a big way. 

It's why that direction is a path leading them off a cliff, the only way Square-Enix could have stayed on that road is if Final Fantasy was selling like 14-15+ million an installment and ideally growing, instead you have Rebirth and 16 both probably struggling just to get to 5 million and Final Fantasy 17 should go *up* in fidelity? lol, you might as well throw money down the toilet. 

You're not going to gain sales, FF16 looks better than FF15 and is selling way less, FF7 Rebirth looks better than FF7 Remake and is also selling less. Going up another notch for FF17 and Remake Part III would be the definition of insanity, looks like they realized they can't do that anymore and have pivoted to include Nintendo platforms now for all their major projects going forward. 

The only companies that are going to be able to afford to make mega budget games in the future are going to be a very small group of Western studios that generally part of larger media conglomerates (like Sony's internal studios) who can afford to make $200-$300 million+ games and even Sony's internal memo leaks show they are shitting their pants with concern on how big the budgets to even get to Spider-Man 2 visual fidelity is costing them. 

That said man MH Wilds is one ugly looking game in some respects. Some of the grass/bushes look like they're lifted from a PS3 game. 

It depends cause dragon dogma2 runs  bad on  laptop with 3050 rtx and wilds looks to be far more ambitious if Switch 2 is a 8nm t239 and low clocked probably not.

Japanese developers are not really good at making open world games with stunning graphics. Monster Hunter world on ps4 looks like trash imo and ran horrible.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 16 May 2024