By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - FF7 Rebirth has reportedly sold half what Remake did in the same timeframe

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

A bet has to be based off some kind of basis in something, you don't work at Square, all we can do is look at their current game engines, look at what they are now telling their shareholders, and look at the "OK well what engines do they have right now". FF7 Rebirth is their most recent big release. Could that engine be scaled to a Switch 2 ... probably, yes. 

So if they want to have their games on Switch 2, which is what they are expressly saying they do, then they have an engine sitting right there that can do it. 

You may have to cut a few things but it should be workable. 

Sorry if that upsets you maybe you and the niche audience of people like you should actually buy these games like FF7 Rebirth, FF16, Forspoken, Alan Wake 2, Avatar that are relying on graphics heavily to sell, but you're not that's maybe where you should put your money. Because those games sure as heck are not lighting up the sales charts, turns out you can't make a lot of money trying to sell strictly to 30-40 old farts who are obsessed with graphics and business suits are increasingly running all the big game companies and wanting to maximize profit. Which is actually good for Nintendo, some common sense is starting to filter into the industry. 

Some people may bemoan it but I welcome it. 

Thought so.  That is a clear "no" to the bet, which means you don't really believe it.  Cool.  :) 

I don't bet and not online, so sorry, but I stand by what I said. Square-Enix has clearly said they want their top HD content on the Switch 2 basically (they name it as Nintendo platforms because it's not officially announced yet) ... too bad so sad, maybe you should have spent some of that money on Forspoken (lol) or FF7 Rebirth instead of trying to make wagers on a message board. 

Economic reality bites Square in the ass, can't say I'm not happy about it. Ironic too that it's Final Fantasy VII (Rebirth) that broke the camel's back and finally made them go crawling back to Nintendo. Delicious irony in that. 

But ultimately smart move on their part, Persona is a booming RPG series and a part of that is because they are embracing the Switch platform and bringing in new users that way, Square-Enix probably looked and that and then looked their sinking sales of their last three big HD products and it simply became "what the hell are we even doing?". When a once niche IP like Persona is booming and Final Fantasy is sinking like a rock, big changes were always going to come and their new president seems very business driven and not an idiot, which is good for Nintendo. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 15 May 2024

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

Thought so.  That is a clear "no" to the bet, which means you don't really believe it.  Cool.  :) 

I don't bet and not online, so sorry, but I stand by what I said. Square-Enix has clearly said they want their top HD content on the Switch 2 basically (they name it as Nintendo platforms because it's not officially announced yet) ... too bad so sad, maybe you should have spent some of that money on Forspoken (lol) or FF7 Rebirth instead of trying to make wagers on a message board. 

Economic reality bites Square in the ass, can't say I'm not happy about it. Ironic too that it's Final Fantasy VII (Rebirth) that broke the camel's back and finally made them go crawling back to Nintendo. Delicious irony in that. 

But ultimately smart move on their part, Persona is a booming RPG series and a part of that is because they are embracing the Switch platform and bringing in new users that way, Square-Enix probably looked and that and then looked their sinking sales of their last three big HD products and it simply became "what the hell are we even doing?". 

All good my friend.  You believe but not really.  

I'll happily support square when they support PC, which they specifically said they are going to do.  So I'm happy.  I'll be getting a S2 day one for 1st party and run everything else on my 4090.  

Enjoy my friend.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

But ultimately smart move on their part, Persona is a booming RPG series and a part of that is because they are embracing the Switch platform and bringing in new users that way, Square-Enix probably looked and that and then looked their sinking sales of their last three big HD products and it simply became "what the hell are we even doing?". 

I'll happily support square when they support PC, which they specifically said they are going to do.  So I'm happy.  I'll be getting a S2 day one for 1st party and run everything else on my 4090.  

Enjoy my friend.

Nintendo platforms (well Switch 2) will be getting the games too. So you can do the math on how that is going to have to work any which way you want but it looks like it's happening. Tough shit I guess for people who want to keep those kinds of IP locked off Nintendo platforms, looks like your run is at an end. 

The irony of these rising budgets is it means inevitably because more money is at stake, business oriented suits are becoming the presidents/head leaders of all these companies, even Sony's top president wants multiplat. That attitude ultimately though is good for Nintendo, it eventually leads to those same suits eventually asking "well why aren't we on Switch?" and no one can oppose them in the board room because everyone is about maximizing profit. 

Ultimately all of that was good for Nintendo because dumb biases against them and emphasis on weird priorities (graphics instead of chasing the largest audience possible) are falling to the wayside. 

Nintendo is likely about to enter a generation where they're going to have better 3rd party support than at any time since the SNES era as a result. 

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

Enjoy my friend.

Nintendo platforms (well Switch 2) will be getting the games too. So you can do the math on how that is going to have to work any which way you want but it looks like it's happening. Tough shit I guess for people who want to keep those kinds of IP locked off Nintendo platforms, looks like your run is at an end. 

The irony of these rising budgets is it means inevitably because more money is at stake, business oriented suits are becoming the presidents/head leaders of all these companies, even Sony's top president wants multiplat. That attitude ultimately though is good for Nintendo, it eventually leads to those same suits eventually asking "well why aren't we on Switch?" and no one can oppose them in the board room because everyone is about maximizing profit. 

Ultimately all of that was good for Nintendo because dumb biases against them and emphasis on weird priorities (graphics instead of chasing the largest audience possible) are falling to the wayside. 

Nintendo is likely about to enter a generation where they're going to have better 3rd party support than at any time since the SNES era as a result. 

I've already stated the S2 will get the games.  I support and think it is a great idea.

You are fighting an argument nobody made.  

And this isn't even surprising.  PC games run on a 1070 all the way to a 4090.  Engines scale easy.  Console (and Square) are simply catching up to what PC has been doing for decades.  

None of this is new nor novel.

And so we are clear.  I support S2 ports 100%.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

I've already stated the S2 will get the games.  I support and think it is a great idea.

And this isn't even surprising.  PC games run on a 1070 all the way to a 4090.  Engines scale easy.  Console (and Square) are simply catching up to what PC has been doing for decades.  

If they're getting the games on Switch 2 then it's not unreasonable to look at the engines they have currently and see which one probably makes sense for future games. 

FF7 Rebirth engine probably makes a lot of sense and Unreal Engine plays nice with Switch consoles to begin with. 

Why exactly do they need to complicate the whole thing by using something exotic past that, if that works, then use it.

You're not increasing graphics fidelity when your last three big graphics, big budget titles all underperformed (one of them in Forspoken just flat out bombed), sorry, but welcome to the world of business consequences. 

To me the FF7 Rebirth engine, which I believe is only Unreal Engine 4, is a fine fit for their bigger games going forward, you should be able to scale nicely for the Switch 2 on that and still max out the PS5 because you're pushing a ton of pixels that bog the system down so that it can only hit 30 fps in at the graphics mode resolution which is 4K/near 4K. That setup is actually a smart one I would suggest more Japanese companies that don't have the money to make $200 million dollar projects use to begin with. 

Start you PS5 game at 4K/30 and that will basically max out the system right there, then from there you can dramatically decrease that resolution and make a Switch 2 port and have the benefit of that audience too. You don't need to kill yourself and spend $200-$300 million chasing some stupid top end graphics tier that isn't even going to sell you more games, you can have a nice looking game (FF7 Rebirth is a nice looking game) and save some money and increase your audience base by a lot by including the top platform in Japan if not globally. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

If they're getting the games then it's not unreasonable to look at the engines they have currently and see which one probably makes sense for future games. 

FF7 Rebirth engine probably makes a lot of sense and Unreal Engine plays nice with Switch consoles to begin with. 

Why exactly do they need to complicate the whole thing by using something exotic past that, if that works, then use it.

You're not increasing graphics fidelity when your last three big graphics, big budget titles all underperformed (one of them in Forspoken just flat out bombed), sorry, but welcome to the world of business consequences. 

To me the FF7 Rebirth engine, which I believe is only Unreal Engine 4, is a fine fit for their bigger games going forward, you should be able to scale nicely for the Switch 2 on that and still max out the PS5 because you're pushing a ton of pixels that bog the system down so that it can only hit 30 fps in at the graphics mode resolution which is 4K/near 4K. That setup is actually a smart one I would suggest more Japanese companies that don't have the money to make $200 million dollar projects use to begin with. 

Start you PS5 game at 4K/30 and that will basically max out the system right there, then from there you can dramatically decrease that resolution and make a Switch 2 port and have the benefit of that audience. 

We will have to agree to disagree.  Ps5 (base unit) games moving forward will not be targeting 4k.  They just won't, which is why a ps5 pro is coming and NVIDIA is going to launch 5000 series cards in 2025.  Scaling to the S2 will involve more than resolution...  just like a 1080, it will require cutting down shadows, lighting, RT, etc, etc, etc.  And here is the catch, that is fine.  Nobody is complaining, we are all FINE with the situation.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

If they're getting the games then it's not unreasonable to look at the engines they have currently and see which one probably makes sense for future games. 

Start you PS5 game at 4K/30 and that will basically max out the system right there, then from there you can dramatically decrease that resolution and make a Switch 2 port and have the benefit of that audience. 

We will have to agree to disagree.  Ps5 (base unit) games moving forward will not be targeting 4k.  They just won't, which is why a ps5 pro is coming and NVIDIA is going to launch 5000 series cards in 2025.  Scaling to the S2 will involve more than resolution...  just like a 1080, it will require cutting down shadows, lighting, RT, etc, etc, etc.  And here is the catch, that is fine.  Nobody is complaining, we are all FINE with the situation.  

I'm talking about developers like Square-Enix who are saying they want their top content on Switch 2 (and I suspect a lot of the major Japanese studios are going to be in this same boat ... they want in on Switch 2 and want off the "never ending increasing budgets" boat). 

If that's your aim as a developer, well then yes, you can build a base game that can run on Switch 2 and then push that to 4K/30 or 60 (I doubt 60, but hey give it a shot) on a PS5 and you max out your PS5, so you don't really have to sit there and say "well we didn't push the PS5", you can check that box too. 

The Switch 2 probably can run Rebirth at 540p undocked/720p docked and use DLSS to make the actual end result resolution look a lot higher. So that's probably what they looked at before making this decision, I don't think they just randomly shot their mouth off about wanting their top games on Switch 2 without first testing if that's possible. I would venture a guess here and say one of the first things they did when they got S2 dev kits is test whether or not it could run a version of FF7 Rebirth (FF7 Remake is a given). 

Fast forward a few months and both 16 and 7Rebirth underperform in sales and there ya go, the president is fed up and says we're all in on multiplat and yes that means Switch 2 also. So I guess you can thank the PS5 and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth with a nice assist to FF16 underperforming and Forspoken bombing. 

*golf clap* bravo Square-Enix. 

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

I'm talking about developers like Square-Enix who are saying they want their top content on Switch 2 (and I suspect a lot of the major Japanese studios are going to be in this same boat ... they want in on Switch 2 and want off the "never ending increasing budgets" boat). 

If that's your aim as a developer, well then yes, you can build a base game that can run on Switch 2 and then push that to 4K/30 or 60 (I doubt 60, but hey give it a shot) on a PS5 and you max out your PS5, so you don't really have to sit there and say "well we didn't push the PS5", you can check that box too. 

The Switch 2 probably can run Rebirth at 540p undocked/720p docked and use DLSS to make the actual end result resolution look a lot higher. So that's probably what they looked at before making this decision, I don't think they just randomly shot their mouth off about wanting their top games on Switch 2 without first testing if that's possible. I would venture a guess here and say one of the first things they did when they got S2 dev kits is test whether or not it could run a version of FF7 Rebirth (FF7 Remake is a given). 

Fast forward a few months and both 16 and 7Rebirth underperform in sales and there ya go, the president is fed up and says we're all in on multiplat and yes that means Switch 2 also. So I guess you can thank the PS5 and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth with a nice assist to FF16 underperforming and Forspoken bombing. 

I will say it one last time.  Agree to disagree.  I do not see developers going back in fidelity and just being stagnant in fidelity.  Graphics and performance will always be a focus.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

I will say it one last time.  Agree to disagree.  I do not see developers going back in fidelity and just being stagnant in fidelity.  Graphics and performance will always be a focus.  

Square-Enix is because they've pretty much stated their games are coming to Nintendo systems. 

You can see this in other Japanese games too ... Monster Hunter Wilds has relatively mediocre graphics I would say, there are better looking PS4 games, but I think that's intentional. They want a Switch 2 version so they didn't go too crazy on the fidelity because they know a S2 port is going to sell 5-8 million copies easy for them. We basically know from reliable leakers that Persona 6 will be on Switch 2. A lot of the big Japanese franchises this time around I think are going S2, these devs don't have the money to go higher in graphics fidelity and they don't want to miss out on that S2 money. 

Business is the focus, budgets are the focus, all these companies are getting business suits taking over now who are hyper sensitive to budgeting and wanting to expand their audience (which was an inevitable side effect of rising budgets). That's good for Nintendo, maybe not so good for people who want the industry to forever stay stuck in the 2000s. 

Square-Enix was really the Japanese beacon for the whole "ignore Nintendo, chase graphics fidelity, stay exclusive to Playstation", if they are now going running back to Nintendo, that's a wrap for other Japanese devs too. They were the whole foundation holding up that dated 90s/2000s way of thinking in Japan, if they've bailed out who else in Japan is staying on that sinking ship?

Last edited by Soundwave - on 15 May 2024

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

Square-Enix is because they've pretty much stated their games are coming to Nintendo systems. 

You can see this in other Japanese games too ... Monster Hunter Wilds has relatively mediocre graphics I would say, there are better looking PS4 games, but I think that's intentional. They want a Switch 2 version so they didn't go too crazy on the fidelity because they know a S2 port is going to sell 5-8 million copies easy for them. We basically know from reliable leakers that Persona 6 will be on Switch 2. A lot of the big Japanese franchises this time around I think are going S2, these devs don't have the money to go higher in graphics fidelity and they don't want to miss out on that S2 money. 

Business is the focus, budgets are the focus, all these companies are getting business suits taking over now who are hyper sensitive to budgeting and wanting to expand their audience (which was an inevitable side effect of rising budgets). That's good for Nintendo, maybe not so good for people who want the industry to forever stay stuck in the 2000s. 

Square-Enix was really the Japanese beacon for the whole "ignore Nintendo, chase graphics fidelity, stay exclusive to Playstation", if they are now going running back to Nintendo, that's a wrap for other Japanese devs too. They were the whole foundation holding up that dated 90s/2000s way of thinking in Japan, now even they have bailed out. 

Monster Hunter World, best-selling in the series, says "hi."

Expensive budgets are good for EVERYONE, because exclusives are dead.  Welcome to multiplatform.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC