By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - FF7 Rebirth has reportedly sold half what Remake did in the same timeframe

"Pursue initiatives designed to win over PC users, which represent a growth market."

Kudos to Square. They specifically called out PC and get it.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Around the Network

Why won't they already just announce the release date of FF XVI PC?

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

I said graphics mode, which is 30 fps on PS5, it runs at 4K with some dips. 

Rebirth honestly isn't *that* great looking, it has nice art style, but it doesn't look much better if at all better than Horizon: Forbidden West on the PS4. 

For Square-Enix they're not going to have the money to go much higher than that visually, you need 10+ million in sales to get that and FFXVI and Rebirth both ain't sniffing that.

I don't need to read an article on DLSS, I can run 540p to 1080p DLSS right now on my screen on multiple games, it looks good enough, much better than 540p native on current Switch games. For a 8 inch 1080p display, I think frankly for a demanding port going for 720p native is simple a waste. You're not going to see a night and day difference between 540p to 1080p DLSS versus 720p to 1080p DLSS on a 8 inch 1080p screen, no way. It's a waste of pixels. You'd be better off using those pixels to add a 40 fps undocked mode (40 fps, 540p DLSS to 1080p is still fewer pixels than 720p @30 fps DLSS). By the way Nintendo has patented their own upscaling tech which is likely just their own name for DLSS but they specifically cite 540p to 1080p upscaling in the patent ... you better get used to it because it most definitely is going to be used a lot on Switch 2 and it looks fine. 

The undocked mode just needs to be good enough to play the game, it's not necessary that it be some super high resolution image, it's a waste on a small screen. 

The PS5-Switch 2 gap I don't think is going to be as large as PS4-Switch 1 ... the PS4 had 7x the bandwidth the Switch 1 did for example (176GB vs 25GB/sec), the PS5 only will have 3.7x (446GB/sec vs. 120GB/sec), so roughly that gap is cut in half and Nvidia GPUs don't need as much bandwidth to begin with because of tile based rendering as well. The PS5 actually is not a big improvement in memory bandwidth, only about 2.5x better than a PS4, the Switch 2 at 120GB/sec is close to 5x improvement over the Switch 1. The PS5 has to render a shit ton more pixels than the Switch 2 will too because, Switch 2 will be able to go down to very low resolutions (540p) to get a game running. Then we have the Series S which is even below that and most 3rd parties are still committed to Series S. 

Quality mode is the same as graphics mode.  And FF16 doesn't remotely touch 4k.  It is 1080p to 1440p via dynamic resolution.

Those are just facts.  FF17 isn't hitting 4k on the ps5.  Most games are not close to 4k on the ps5.  Alan Wake 2 on the ps5 via graphics mode is 1272p, doesn't even hit 1440p.  

Fact: S2 will have to reduce more than resolution to run modern games.  There will be significant reduction to lighting, shadows, RT, filtering, textures, draw distance and volumetric effects.  

1/4 the bandwidth is going to impact fidelity.  Fact.  

Graphics mode is 4K 30 fps on the PS5 for FF7 Rebirth. 

If they reuse this same engine, which I think they will have to for FF17, absolutely that's a huge disparity. 1/3.7th the bandwidth is not a huge disparity when one system has to render 4K and the other one is doing even 720p, that's 9x more pixels the PS5 has to render with only 3.7x more bandwidth and Nvidia has tile based rendering which requires less bandwidth to begin with than AMD GPUs on top of that. 

FF7 Rebirth is basically the engine I think they're stuck with, they're not selling enough games to justify going higher than that, Rebirth as is probably still cost a pretty penny even as is, I would say probably north of $150 million. 

They can reuse that engine for 17 and Remake Part III and probably get a decent Switch 2 version along with a version that still looks fine on PS5 at 4K/30, lower res/60. 

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

Quality mode is the same as graphics mode.  And FF16 doesn't remotely touch 4k.  It is 1080p to 1440p via dynamic resolution.

Those are just facts.  FF17 isn't hitting 4k on the ps5.  Most games are not close to 4k on the ps5.  Alan Wake 2 on the ps5 via graphics mode is 1272p, doesn't even hit 1440p.  

Fact: S2 will have to reduce more than resolution to run modern games.  There will be significant reduction to lighting, shadows, RT, filtering, textures, draw distance and volumetric effects.  

If they reuse this same engine, which I think they will have to for FF17, absolutely that's a huge disparity. 1/3.7th the bandwidth is not a huge disparity when one system has to render 4K and the other one is doing even 720p, that's 9x more pixels the PS5 has to render with only 3.7x more bandwidth and Nvidia has tile based rendering which requires less bandwidth to begin with than AMD GPUs on top of that. 

FF7 Rebirth is basically the engine I think they're stuck with, they're not selling enough games to justify going higher than that, Rebirth as is probably still cost a pretty penny even as is, I would say probably north of $150 million. 

Demon's Souls remake is native 4K in Quality mode as well, same goes for TLOU 2 and Uncharted 4 which looks extra sharp.

Radek said:
Soundwave said:

Demon's Souls remake is native 4K in Quality mode as well, same goes for TLOU 2 and Uncharted 4 which looks extra sharp.

Yes but we are talking Final Fantasy. 

The engine they have now, the most recent game is FF7 Rebirth, its graphics mode is 30 fps, 4K resolution. 

And most people say it is a very nice looking game, not ground breaking but still looks nice. Well at 4k, even 720p docked (DLSS up to 1440p) for Switch 2, that is 9x more pixels, the PS5 doesn't have 9x more bandwidth or almost definitely not 9x the teraflop performance. 

I wouldn't even use 720p for undocked mode for Switch 2, it's not going to make enough of a difference on a 8 inch screen for most people to care. Go even lower to 540p I would say. You have DLSS, use it to the max.

They basically have all but said their main games going forward will be on Nintendo platforms, so for people who want to whine about that, it's basically "tough shit" at this point. If that bothers you so much maybe you should have stepped up and bought FF7 Rebirth and 16 on the PS5, because not enough people did and now they're going running to Nintendo and a reality check on the budget/scope of their games is probably coming with a cap on how high that will go. I wouldn't be expecting a Final Fantasy game with a $200 or $250 million dollar budget like Spider-Man 2 has anytime soon. 

Your budget isn't magically going to rise when your last two very expensive projects (really three if you factor in Forspoken bombed like nobody's business) have failed to meet sales expectations. 

Missing sales targets has repercussions, too many people don't understand this is a business first and foremost and not a hobby club for their personal gaming fetishes. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 15 May 2024

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

They can reuse that engine for 17 and Remake Part III and probably get a decent Switch 2 version along with a version that still looks fine on PS5 at 4K/30, lower res/60. 

Want to make a wager?  I'll wager FF17 is absolutely not rendering 4k on the ps5.  Probably the ps5 pro, but not base.  You up for it?  $100 steam gift card?  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

Want to make a wager?  I'll wager FF17 is absolutely not rendering 4k on the ps5.  Probably the ps5 pro, but not base.  You up for it?  $100 steam gift card?  

We're looking at FF7 Rebirth, it does run at 4K/30 fps. Why would they go out and make a new engine above that when their last three big budget games have had poor returns and they're specifically talking about wanting their top content on Nintendo platforms? 

They can just continue to use that engine and probably it is scalable to the Switch 2 which is why they are saying their top end HD games are going to be on Nintendo platforms going forward. 

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

We're looking at FF7 Rebirth, it does run at 4K/30 fps. Why would they go out and make a new engine above that when their last three big budget games have had poor returns and they're specifically talking about wanting their top content on Nintendo platforms? 

They can just continue to use that engine and probably it is scalable to the Switch 2 which is why they are saying their top end HD games are going to be on Nintendo platforms going forward. 

Is that a yes or no to the wager?  If you are half as confident as you pretend to be, then take the $100 bet.  

FF16 didn't touch 4k, FF17 will not either, except on the ps5 pro.

And stop being disingenuous.  Square is talking about supporting ALL platforms, including xbox and PC.  

"Pursue initiatives designed to win over PC users, which represent a growth market."

Not sure how you read Square's press release and concluded Nintendo is their focus.....  all platforms are their focus.  

edit

if developers were planning on targeting 4k native on the ps5...  Sony wouldn't be looking to implement PSSR.  There is a reason PSSR is going to be a focus for Sony.  New games will not be rendered at 4k, the ps5 doesn't have the horsepower now that cross generation games are gone.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 15 May 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

Is that a yes or no to the wager?  If you are half as confident as you pretend to be, then take the $100 bet.  

A bet has to be based off some kind of basis in something, you don't work at Square, all we can do is look at their current game engines, look at what they are now telling their shareholders, and look at the "OK well what engines do they have right now". FF7 Rebirth is their most recent big release. Could that engine be scaled to a Switch 2 ... probably, yes. 

So if they want to have their games on Switch 2, which is what they are expressly saying they do, then they have an engine sitting right there that can do it. 

You may have to cut a few things but it should be workable. 

Sorry if that upsets you maybe you and the niche audience of people like you should actually buy these games like FF7 Rebirth, FF16, Forspoken, Alan Wake 2, Avatar that are relying on graphics heavily to sell, but you're not that's maybe where you should put your money. Because those games sure as heck are not lighting up the sales charts, turns out you can't make a lot of money trying to sell strictly to 30-40 old farts who are obsessed with graphics and business suits are increasingly running all the big game companies and wanting to maximize profit. Which is actually good for Nintendo, some common sense is starting to filter into the industry. 

You can't be ignoring a platform holder that is about to outsell the PS2 because of a stupid chase of visual fidelity that isn't even increasing sales. 

Some people may bemoan it but I welcome it. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 15 May 2024

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

A bet has to be based off some kind of basis in something, you don't work at Square, all we can do is look at their current game engines, look at what they are now telling their shareholders, and look at the "OK well what engines do they have right now". FF7 Rebirth is their most recent big release. Could that engine be scaled to a Switch 2 ... probably, yes. 

So if they want to have their games on Switch 2, which is what they are expressly saying they do, then they have an engine sitting right there that can do it. 

You may have to cut a few things but it should be workable. 

Sorry if that upsets you maybe you and the niche audience of people like you should actually buy these games like FF7 Rebirth, FF16, Forspoken, Alan Wake 2, Avatar that are relying on graphics heavily to sell, but you're not that's maybe where you should put your money. Because those games sure as heck are not lighting up the sales charts, turns out you can't make a lot of money trying to sell strictly to 30-40 old farts who are obsessed with graphics and business suits are increasingly running all the big game companies and wanting to maximize profit. Which is actually good for Nintendo, some common sense is starting to filter into the industry. 

Some people may bemoan it but I welcome it. 

Thought so.  That is a clear "no" to the bet, which means you don't really believe it.  Cool.  :) 

edit

and I think games will be scaled down for the S2, much like the Witcher.  I fully expect it, support it and think it is a great idea.  People should have a choice on how they play games.  The entire point of this Square discussion is exactly that, give consumers a choice of platform.  I just know scaling down will be more than just resolution, there will be other compromises as well.  And that is fine.  I expect it, support it and think it is a great idea.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 15 May 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC