By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Media Franchises That Have Not Fulfilled Their Gaming Potential?

Tagged games:

What are some popular non-native gaming media IPs or franchises that have actualized their full potential to be transformed into acclaimed and successful games.

Lots of movies, TV shows, anime, comics, manga would make great games. Some may have even treid but have yet to hit a homerun in gaming. Sometimes it takes the right concept and developer to turn a non-gaming IP into a gaming powerhouse.

Some examples of IPs that I think fulfilled their gaming potential at least once:

Batman - Arkham Games

Spider-Man - Spider-Man 2 and Insomniac Games

Star Wars - Kotor and arguably Jedi Fallen Order

Dragon Ball - Figther Z

LOTR - Shadow of Mordor

The Witcher - The Witcher Games

I would say that Harry Potter has gotten close with Hogwarts Legacy.

Here are IPs that I think still haven't found the right gaming formula and are still waiting for their ideal adaptation.

Superman

Bladerunner

Pirates of the Caribbean

John Wick

Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

LOTR still has untapped potential I think.
I enjoyed Shadow of Mordor, but a world as rich as Tolkien's and with a film legacy as incredible as Peter Jackson's trilogy could I think offer a much greater video game experience; something on par with the likes of Witcher 3, Skyrim, BOTW, etc.

As a series fan, I also feel like Godzilla hasn't been done proper justice yet; most of his games are pretty bad, and even the fairly fun Pipeworks games in the 6th gen could've been even better. I'd love to see a game that properly tackles kaiju battles, and makes them it feel really weighty and impactful.

Star Wars, needs another rogue leader. A shame that series died. Rogue Leader 2 was damn good. But could be improved with size and scope

Jurassic Park. I would love an Action adventure in that setting. I guess the Park simulators are nice, but meh.

I also can't believe that there isn't a Breaking Bad game.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Yu Yu Hakusho. I think it has great potential to create a good action adventure game similar to Dragon Ball Z Kakarot. Of course, Yu Yu Hakusho is quite old and its popularity is not great nowadays, but it always bugged me that they only made subpar fighting games and mediocre beat em ups.

Around the Network
OdinHades said:

Jurassic Park. I would love an Action adventure in that setting. I guess the Park simulators are nice, but meh.

I also can't believe that there isn't a Breaking Bad game.

Then I have good news for you

Here's the games website

Jurassic Park: Survival (jurassicparksurvival.com)

I'd say the first one to do it well was James Bond 007. But that's the reverse of the question :D

Short Answer: Tolkien and Asimov universes, specifically First Age of Middle Earth and Foundation Age of Asimov's universe (later periods in both cases: post-Battle of Sudden Flame, and Post Foundation and Earth)

Isaac Asimov's Foundation, which now has a great TV show based on it by David S. Goyer (Also the creator of Sandman TV adaptation, and the Blade trilogy). But what's missing is a game based on the books, and I think it could shine in a way that The Witcher 3 has as an open world masterpiece. Taking pieces of the galaxy, and creating new stories within them. Right now, the closest thing we have to a good Foundation game franchise is Xenosaga, which contains a lot of Asimovian elements from Foundation and other books. My dream dev team for this one would be Nintendo's own Monolithsoft studios with an unprecedented budget... while I'd prefer the budget go toward a Xenogears remake, I'd be absolutely fine with this one, too.

While Lord of the Rings doesn't have a worthy game, it does have numerous games that were still quite good from across the years. Even the bad ones were still kinda fun to play. But, if I had to pick a book, it would be an open world game series based on the first age of Middle Earth, there is still so much to explore there, and I think a game is the best way to do it. The second age is interesting, many people hate Rings of Power, but I'm intrigued by the world they're building for the second age - I also really liked what they did with the Sauron reveal, by transforming "Annatar" into an epithet rather than a name, otherwise it would have been too obvious - as a guy who has read through the 12 volumes of the History of Middle Earth multiple times, I was still not 100% (maybe 95%) which one was Sauron. I wouldn't mind seeing video games based in and around that series as well, but my preference is for the first age, a game series from The Battle of Sudden Flame to the end of the War of Wrath. Like Witcher, have the games and expansions be snapshots, perhaps surrounding a dark elf... just rip the Witcher games off in a lot of ways. CD Projekt Red would be the obvious dream team for this one.

Asimov and Tolkien are probably the two authors I've read the most, and each one amounts to millions or words read and re-read by each of them. Both universes mean a lot to me. And there's a lot more to the first age than just The Silmarillion and the Return of the King appendices. There is a series called The History of Middle Earth which includes the Primitive Legendarium (The Book of Lost Tales) along with the lays, and other tellings of the first age - you could say multiple versions of The Silmarillion. So you can see the development of Tolkien's thought on this until it got to the story we know, that was finalized late in his life, and posthumously by his son, and fellow Inkling, the late Christopher Tolkien. These are actually my favourite books by Tolkien, but I don't recommend them to anyone except the biggest fans, because they're more for people who already know The Silmarillion inside out, and want a deeper and wider look at everything - I'd say even more so than The Expanded Robot series over I, Robot by Isaac Asimov (again, another series I wouldn't recommend to anyone unless they were very familiar with I, Robot and the earlier stages of the Asimov universe).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Chrkeller said:

Star Wars, needs another rogue leader Tie Fighter. A shame that series died. Rogue Leader 2 Tie Fighter was damn good. But could be improved with size and scope

Fixed

Avatar: The Last Airbender. An open world SP adventure where you play as a new avatar mastering the elements. An MMO where you choose an element and can practically explore the whole continent, or even just a straightforward (but not half assed) fighting game. So much untapped potential.

Gundam. There have been a lot of cheap cash grabs and mediocre entries but I don't think the franchise has ever gotten the AAA budget and AAA quality title that it deserves. I'd also settle for something else in the mech genre with a focus on close quarters, high destruction urban combat.

Ghost in the Shell: It's not as clear cut or needed as the others, but a Kojima MGS-esque game in the franchise would be pretty sweet.

TallSilhouette said:

Avatar: The Last Airbender. An open world SP adventure where you play as a new avatar mastering the elements. An MMO where you choose an element and can practically explore the whole continent, or even just a straightforward (but not half assed) fighting game. So much untapped potential.

Gundam. There have been a lot of cheap cash grabs and mediocre entries but I don't think the franchise has ever gotten the AAA budget and AAA quality title that it deserves. I'd also settle for something else in the mech genre with a focus on close quarters, high destruction urban combat.

Ghost in the Shell: It's not as clear cut or needed as the others, but a Kojima MGS-esque game in the franchise would be pretty sweet.

The Gundam Breaker series is excellent esp 3 and 4 look to best even 3. Gundam has had plenty of good games. Still, a community playing Zeon on Dreamcast online now as we speak. Replace Gundam with Macross and then you got it. The best Macross game I played it Delta on Vita but the series has never had a great game. Shooting Insight is okay but that's the problem. For such a great anime the best games are just okay. Plenty of good Gundam games and don't need inflated budgets to be that either.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!