By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the hype around Nintendo too quiet or dry right now to be healthy for Switch/Switch 2?

Is hype around Nintendo too quiet right now to be healthy?

Yes, Nintendo needs to do... 5 9.80%

Preferable for Nintendo t... 9 17.65%

While hype is low right n... 30 58.82%

Nintendo's hype is high right now, not low. 7 13.73%

Total:51
Spoiler!

Do you guys think Nintendo could be doing a better job surrounding the Switch and Nintendo with hype right now? Especially if they're soon potentially approaching the launch time period if Switch 2?

Imo I feel like news and hype surrounding Nintendo this year has been the quietest in the entire Switch generation, haven't seen the hype surrounding Nintendo be this quiet since 2016 personally. Which I guess may make sense towards the end of a generation, but I think Nintendo could still be doing a better job at it. We know nothing about the 2nd half of 2024, and none of the 1st half titles have been generating crazy hype like TOTK did last year as PM TTYD & LM2 are relatively more niche titles, lack of any directs, lack of any Switch 2 info or rumors. It's one of those very quiet periods with Nintendo in 2024 thus far and I think Nintendo could be doing a better job at least providing a bit more hype for the future going into 2024.

Generally speaking, hype being down for Nintendo right now likely won't mean much, since I still think Nintendo could easily bounce back with some other 2nd half title announcements, maybe a direct, or any sort of Switch 2 info that'll easily be able to enhance more engagement surrounding Nintendo. But speaking as of right now, I dont think this is the best way for Nintendo to maximize hype around the brand transitioning into Switch 2. If they have nothing to show for Switch rest of the year then they should consider giving out Switch 2 info to keep the hype high, but im sure there's still more stuff they could show for Switch but they're just being secretive about it, perhaps too secretive.

For me personally, I'm not at all desperate for a direct or any new game announcements, the Switch this gen has provided me with more than enough software to keep me satisfied, and I'm sure many people too. I remember in 2020 people would lose their sanity just cause there was no direct in February, but now it seems like people don't care much anymore since the Switch provided nearly all the software they need at this point. I'm just speaking in a general sense when it comes to keeping Nintendo's name out there amongst the mass audience.

Around the Network

No, the hype will come naturally as more SwitchU news are released and new game announcements are made.

Yes. Nintendo is doomed. Doomed since 1889. This is the Final Doom. Switch will Rip and Tear until it is Nintendone.

Last edited by Leynos - on 03 April 2024

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

It seems to me there is no hype in the industry at all at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

...have we forgotten that the Nintendo Switch was revealed during 2016? I have no worries that the Switch successor will be a cultural juggernaut. The Switch in 2023 literally outsold Switch 2017. It hasn't even hit its lowest point despite being in its eight year!

Around the Network

As soon as they reveal the Switch 2 and some games, the hype will be through the roof I think. The Switch is in its eight year and all the major games for it have been released. The hype for the Switch might not be at its highest just now, but the love for that console is still very strong. Especially among us collectors.

I think the timing is a bit off because of the rumored, and likely, internal delay.

If the release was originally to be in 2024, then Switch 2 would have likely been announced a couple of months ago. The Switch would still have been riding high on the momentum of TOTK and Super Mario Wonder. Those games kind of felt like the appropriate swan song for the Switch.

Now, if feels like the Switch is treading water a bit. This year has been mostly remakes like Mario and DK and B tier titles like Peach Showtime. They seem to be holding back on making new announcements as there hasn't been a full direct this year. It's a tricky balance, because the Switch is still selling very well, so you don't want to cut off its legs prematurely, but you also want to start revving the hype engine for the Switch 2.

So, yeah, there is a bit of a lull right now. But, does it matter? I dunno. The Wii and Switch were each announced when hype and enthusiasm for Nintendo were at their lowest points, and we know how those turned out. The 3DS and Wii U were announced when Nintendo was flying how, and we know how those launches turned out. If the Switch 2 looks good and has a good games lineup, the hype will pick up quick. If not, it will die out quickly.

It’s the calm before the storm.

Last year was the big “go out with a bang” year with brand new entries of two of their most iconic franchises (3D Zelda & 2D Mario) along with the massive box office success of the Mario movie, most years are going to seem tame in comparison. They also aren’t quite ready to reveal Switch 2 (remember Switch was only revealed 4.5 months before launch) which will obviously have some big guns revealed alongside it.

Basically we’re in a transition period, they gave Switch it’s last few heavy hitters last year and the next few heavy hitters are being saved as early Switch 2 titles so they are laying low and letting their handful of mid-size titles (Mario vs DK, Princess Peach, Luigi’s Mansion, Paper Mario) have the spotlight.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

firebush03 said:

...have we forgotten that the Nintendo Switch was revealed during 2016? I have no worries that the Switch successor will be a cultural juggernaut. The Switch in 2023 literally outsold Switch 2017. It hasn't even hit its lowest point despite being in its eight year!

Late 2016 at that, with the in-depth showcase not happening until 2017. It is the ultimate proof that you don't need a yearlong runup to get a good hype train going in the public consciousness.

Nintendo has banked on selling more Switch consoles in the past quarters by staying quiet. Announcing next-gen hardware 3-6 months ago would've likely hurt Switch sales.
This isn't unusual for the software line-up to be largely unknown as well. That has happened within the last several years two or more times.
Unless Nintendo is staying unusually quiet, hardware is surely not coming until March 2025. I really do feel like right now or months ago would've been the time to announce if the hardware was out in Q4 2024.
Nintendo could use more hype, but it'll be fine.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima