By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the hype around Nintendo too quiet or dry right now to be healthy for Switch/Switch 2?

Is hype around Nintendo too quiet right now to be healthy?

Yes, Nintendo needs to do... 5 9.80%

Preferable for Nintendo t... 9 17.65%

While hype is low right n... 30 58.82%

Nintendo's hype is high right now, not low. 7 13.73%

Total:51

For all intent and purposes, we, in the last few years have barely known Nintendo software plans when it comes to their last calendar quarter schedule.

However, it is obvious that the software pipeline for the system is quietly redistributed for the sucessor but it doesn't undermine the system achievements and all the evergreens people have to catch on or are still being sold healthily.

+ We just have to look at the online rumors mongers to realize the moment Nintendo speaks officially of the successor, the so called hype will through the roof once again, despite the perceived low point at the moment.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

I'm happy to wait until Nintendo are ready to hype us up. I'm sick of rumours and speculation ever since the fabled Switch pro started doing the rounds.

Signalstar said:

It seems to me there is no hype in the industry at all at the moment.

Tbh yea, haven't seen hype in the video game industry this dead is a while. While it's more excusable for Nintendo since they're towards the end of their gen, it's pretty disappointing for PS/Xbox considering that most of the beginning of gen 9 been cross gen titles that haven't pushed the boundaries of next gen, and now we're entering the 2nd half of the gen for those two and it feels even more dead than it was before. PS already announced nothing major is coming the next year. I think GTA 6 will do big things in revitalizing the hype tho once it releases in 2025.

Not worried here. Nintendo needs 3 things:

1) ps4 performance
2) $350 price point
3) BC

Hype will take care of itself. While some of us love cutting edge, portable Nintendo games with ps4 graphics is all that is needed.

Well, as I've mentioned before, as far as I can remember, only once has a dominant home console repeated said dominance, and that was the PS2. Other than that one example, the console that followed the dominant one either struggled to win, or lost (using units sold as the metric for winning and losing). So the fact that there doesn't seem to be much internet buzz for the Switch 2 doesn't surprise me. It's going to be very hard for Nintendo to repeat the original Switch's success.

Around the Network

The thing is, right now I'm fine with my Switch. It is a wonderful system and it has enough games to keep me entertained for years. I'm in no hurry to upgrade, and many people are probably on the same boat.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Leynos said:

Yes. Nintendo is doomed. Doomed since 1889. This is the Final Doom. Switch will Rip and Tear until it is Nintendone.

Now I want their next console to be called Nintendo Doom

Would be epic!

No, it needs to secure 165 million first

I don't care about the "Switch 2" right now. I want Nintendo Switch to outsell the ps2, first. It must! I've purchased 11 Nintendo Switch consoles! It BETTER outsell the overrated DVD player.

It'll be fine. The Switch has done amazing numbers, and so long as the games are there and Nintendo doesn't have some catastrophic flub with the marketing like they did with the Wii U (which is unlikely as the Switch 2 is almost certainly going to be a much more straightforward next-gen Switch), the Switch 2 should continue that momentum. There was radio silence from Nintendo leading up to the Switch's announcement, which came in a trailer in October 2016, less than five months before the system released.

Assuming the Switch 2 comes out this coming March, they'll probably have a similar mid-fall window for announcing the Switch 2 and building up interest in the system. By the end of this year or early next year we should have a generally good idea of what game it'll have in its launch window, what the games will look like on the beefier hardware, what tweaks and bells & whistles it'll have compared to its predecessor (it'll probably have a couple of things to set it apart besides superior specs, even if it's simple improvements to the basics). Nintendo found a winning formula with the Switch, and I think they'll keep doing what's worked for them these past few years.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").