By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Consoles That You Felt Like Sold More or Less Than They Actually did

PS3 didn't deserve to catch up to xbox360,
But man what a comeback story,
Xbox should've dominated and ran out of legs

Around the Network

The Sega Master System. Even when leaving the US and Japan out of the picture, having sold less than 7M in Europe seems crazy considering how widespread it felt being here.

N64 felt like such a cultural power house I'm shocked it only did 32m. But then again, 32m in the 90s wasn't as bad as looks today.

LivncA_Dis3 said:

I was in love with my 360 but PS3 from 2009 onwards >>

To me it feels right that the systems more or less equaled each other, especially with the hardware in the PS3 feeling very well rounded (built in HDD, Bluedrive, HDMI port out the gate etc). The early 360 models were clearly compromised even if the core specs powering it were perfect.

LivncA_Dis3 said:

Why not? 

The only thing I can give Sony flack for with the PS3 from 2009 onward was the 2011 hack. That was terrible. 

Unless you liked Kinect games, first-party fizzled out on Xbox 360 around 2011, with Halo 4 in 2012 as the swan song (but not last release) for Microsoft games on 360. PS3 had The Last of Us in 2013, and some other titles as well. 

Even if you prefer third-party games on 360 (they almost always ran better), I don't see how PS3 didn't deserve to catch up unless you find the hack that egregious. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

The way some people talk about the 3Ds you would assume it sold like 20m and not the fantastic 75m it did.

Jpcc86 said:

The way some people talk about the 3Ds you would assume it sold like 20m and not the fantastic 75m it did.

The 3DS is one of my favorite systems ever, but I admit the second half of its lifespan was dominated by RPGs, so its library isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Jpcc86 said:

We don't have the split sales numbers of Game Boy or Game Boy Color, but logic would tell us 3DS outsold the Game Boy and the Game Boy Color on their own. 

I feel like people lowball the importance of the 3DS hardware sales for a few reasons.

-Its immediate predecessor was an earth-shattering platform. Switch might pass DS, but we'll see. 

-GBA sold over 80 million, so did PSP.

-Wii U tanked, and some of that negativity did affect the perception of 3DS.

-3DS needed a price cut early on due to the lack of value. Nintendo temporarily took a loss on it because of the price cut.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I liked PS3 overall, (its close with PS1 as my favourite Playstation) but I am glad it lost the generation as Sony really did deserve a reality check after all that "people will get a second job to afford a PS3" and "the generation starts when we say it does" stuff.

ALinkInTime said:
Jpcc86 said:

The 3DS is one of my favorite systems ever, but I admit the second half of its lifespan was dominated by RPGs, so its library isn't everyone's cup of tea.

I know it had a myriad of RPG's but timeline wise the RPG were there more frequently from 2013 throughout the rest of it's life. 

3DS still had a variety of games that weren't RPG by its latter half. But yeah, Atlus had a field trip with their DS remakes and Etrian Odyssey on the thing lol.

How the freak we still haven't got EO 6 by now on the Switch is beyond me

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909