By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Consoles That You Felt Like Sold More or Less Than They Actually did

I was surprised GBA, PSP and DS sold so much, I think people don't hype portable consoles as much as home consoles

Also surprised Wii sold so much. It wasn't that big here

I thought Xbox 360 have sold more than PS3 and much more than Wii. Also thought
OG Xbox have sold more

Around the Network

It still shocks me that the Xbox One sold almost as much as the NES.

I only knew one person who had one, but more than that, it seemed to have almost zero cultural impact as there weren't really any games on it that made a lasting impression that weren't also on PS4.

Dreamcast

Saturn

TurbografX16

Neo Geo Pocket Color

Excellent libraries but other other circumstances prevented them from having more or any success.

Xbox One deserved to sell as much as Wii U. It's the most useless console ever made. Even a Casio Loopy is more interesting.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

curl-6 said:

It still shocks me that the Xbox One sold almost as much as the NES.

I only knew one person who had one, but more than that, it seemed to have almost zero cultural impact as there weren't really any games on it that made a lasting impression that weren't also on PS4.

And it's ahead of Xbox Series X/S globally and will probably be that way in the end.

I agree with the surprise of the older systems selling a lot less than you would guess (NES, Genesis/Mega Drive, SNES, etc) but the gaming market in consoles and overall was actually smaller back then than we often think. 

Consoles today are selling more than a good amount of gaming history, but PC and mobile absolutely destroy consoles in revenue and profits. 

Hardware sales peaked with the 7th Generation (3 core home consoles, 2 core handhelds) and I don't think they'll ever sell close to it again. The 7th Generation was the final generation to offer a mountain of different experiences in comparison to PC and mobile. Nintendo has pretty much kept that different feeling alive with the 3DS, Wii U, and Switch. But Xbox One/Series and PS4/PS5? They feel way closer to PCs than previous generations of those console lines. And I didn't forget PS Vita, which slightly outsold Wii U. But it had worse first-party games, and was probably less unique than Wii U. 

DS: 154.9

Wii: 101.64

PS3: 87.41

360: 85.8

PSP: 81.09

Total: 510.84

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Yeah I'd go so far as to say even Wii U felt like it made more of an impact on gaming than Xbox One, as it at least had its own iconic breakout in Splatoon, and many of its exclusives were not only highly acclaimed, but went on to have a second life on Switch.
The Xbone came and went like a fart in the wind and felt like it left no real legacy.

Around the Network

The GBA selling as much as it did with how short it was Nintendo's main handheld is always shocking to me.

Original Xbox did way worse than expected given how big Halo 1 and 2 were.

Being a kid and not having access to sales figures, it definitely felt like the N64 was much bigger than it was.

ALinkInTime said:

The GBA selling as much as it did with how short it was Nintendo's main handheld is always shocking to me.

Original Xbox did way worse than expected given how big Halo 1 and 2 were.

Eh OG Xbox did fairly well as a debut console esp in its circumstances. SEGA just left the hardware race. That left shockwaves in the industry. Launched a year after PS2 and 2 years after Dreamcast in the US and 2002 in Japan.  Xbox beat Nintendo's Gamecube in sales which is pretty good for a newcomer. Not to mention MS entering the console race was a laughing stock by media and gamers beforehand. Are the Windows people making a console? Are you kidding me? That was the mentality at the time. You said it tho. Halo left a big impact in the industry and enough to get Sony to respond with Killzone. That's all MS needed to do in the beginning. To make Sony nervous. MS round 2's goal was to beat Sony with 360. There is a console that should have sold more than PS3 if not for RROD and switching focus to chase the Wii market.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I really did knew a lot of peopla having a N64 back in the days and no one, who had a PS1.
So the sales numbers for these consoles had been really surprising for me. I did not even heard of the Playstation console until a few years after N64 release. xD

That's very simple the gamecube.

BiON!@